Witney Euston

mitziblue

Hi all

As those of you have been following my thread on old RM will know Witney is a 2mm layout i have been working on and off with for about two years.

So straight into the update. The final board has now had the track laid and fiddle yard built giving a running length of aprox twelve feet. Cassets are the name of the game for the fiddle yard and i expect to use 5 two foot alley angle iron ones.

Scenery to this board is complete unless i think of any other detail to add. The back scene has also been roughly painted and will be redone on water colour paper when I can be bothered.

post-7093-12564146288567_thumb.jpg

Work has now moved onto the middle board where bushes are now planted and the first of the buildings now need planting.

post-7093-1256414720015_thumb.jpg

Mark

This is a really nice layout mitzi, the low angle shot of the river is stunning.

As Miss Prism says this is probably the wrong area for layouts, you can make a blog (see the Guides section) or there is a new Layout Topics area for people who really don't want to blog. You can also make a gallery if you want, your modelling certainly deserves it!

Hi all

Placed an order with the 2mm association a couple of weeks ago for some wagon bits which arrived yesterday :)

and as I had a couple of hours spare before I went out I started to build an M R traction truck. This is a wonderful little etch which went together without any problems. Again I have found myself waiting to go out tonight so now the wagon is finished.

post-7093-12569265934167_thumb.jpg

This will take pride of place in the bay platform complete with a traction engine awaiting unloading.

Mark :)

Hi Mark,

great to see progress- the frosty river view is very atmospheric- so much better than the 'four foot snowdrift' type of winter layout!

Did those MR traction trucks really carry portble steam engines and the like!!? They look so frail compared to, say, a GCR lomac...:lol: (see also masterclass models) I'd second that they are superbly designed etches though. does the 2mm society sell these?

Did those MR traction trucks really carry portble steam engines and the like!!? They look so frail compared to, say, a GCR lomac.

I have done a little checking on this the wagon is rated to 12t and as a lot of traction engines are under 10t it is quite possible.But what I would like to know is how would it of been unloaded? :huh:

Mark

I have done a little checking on this the wagon is rated to 12t and as a lot of traction engines are under 10t it is quite possible.But what I would like to know is how would it of been unloaded?

I would think that it would have been loaded and unloaded via an end-loading dock. There's a Midland official photograph in one of the Midland Records showing a portable engine on a wagon at an end-load dock, the photo taken because the load is under a loading gauge and is clearly out of gauge.

Steve

Hi

As you know the last couple of weeks I have been building a few wagon kits but I wanted to break from M R wagons for a bit so this is my first attempt at a private owners wagon. Now I know this should be a 7 plank one but I just wanted to see if I could do my own transfers.

Comments good or bad welcome it all helps to learn where your going wrong. :mellow:

post-7093-12572809873129_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Is it a full body slide (aka simliar to the Robbie Burns method) or just the lettering?

Hi Ben

It's pretty much as robbies. it isn't a full side transfer just enough to fit all the letters on.

One thing that is bugging me thou is the black is changing to dark blue part way through printing and the cartridge says it still ok. paper settings are for glossy paper anyone ideas why this is happening?

post-7093-12573553745252_thumb.jpg

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Lovely atmosphere in those pics. You've captured winter stillness.

Utterley stunning Mark, I think thats the finest Winter & snow modelling I've ever seen.

Are there any more photos coming?

Thanks,

Dave.T

Guest Jim Read

Hi Mark, I've had this happen with my Canon Ip-3000 printer and put it down to ink starvation, went onto the printer forums and cleaned the print head as per their recommendations and it was still the same when I put it all back together.

Looking through the options in the printer software I found a 'quiet' setting and an explanation that it would be as it states quieter but would also print more slowly. I set it and tried it and got a full colour A4 print, I think the setting gives the print head time to fill properly.

Those transfers are very interesting and I would be very grateful for a link to whoever sells them.

Jim

Are there any more photos coming?

hi Dave

Will be trying to put an update on each week just to force myself to get something done but I need to finish building the goods shed before I can plant it and add the scenery to the next board.

But just for you here's one I prepared earlier. :)

post-7093-12574414254219_thumb.jpg

Those transfers are very interesting and I would be very grateful for a link to whoever sells them.

Sorry Jim no link to these I drew them up on corel draw

• RMweb Gold

One thing that is bugging me thou is the black is changing to dark blue part way through printing and the cartridge says it still ok. paper settings are for glossy paper anyone ideas why this is happening?

Usually you can set the printer up so that black is printed using the black ink rather than producing it by mixing the colours. It's so long since I had an inkjet I can't remember if it's a print driver setting or in the software, but I'm sure it's there.

Hi all

I do like to try and update once a week just to motivate me to do something. Apart from finishing some wagons off i got over a year ago (always said i wouldn't have a gloat box,how things change :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated: )I have been continuing work on the goods shed extension a collaged of plastic ,copper, brass wood and paper. All primed up now thought i would take a piccie this proved to be the hardest part of the exercise, macro lenses are great for small subjects but as the subject grows in size so does the distortion.this was the best i could do after half hour of trying so i hope you like :icon_wink:

post-7093-12578010892057_thumb.jpg

oh yes the traction truck ,later to be called a highmac is hiding in there as well

Mark :icon_biggrin:

Hi all

Been working on the goods yard this week trying to get it done enough for planting. Painting is just about done and now i'm mucking about with the weathering. Also had to straighten out the main goods yard building by glueing some brass to the back wall which seems to have done the trick. :)

Started building the yard crane which i will paint during the coarse of the week.

Had the layout up again in the kitchen as the goods yard goes across the board joints but had to take mostof it down to cook dinner,shame i didn't photograph it earlier. :(

post-7093-12583112872876_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12583113089004_thumb.jpg

This looks truly inspirational! I particularly love the "sepia" picture, it could easily pass for a shot from an album of real pre-grouping era photos.

What brickpaper have you used for the main goods shed building? It seems to look quite subtle and more to scale than "N gauge" textured plasticard , but with more relief than just a standard paper?

Hi Justin

Thanks for the praise. :D There was no attempt at turning any of the shots to sepia, they were just photographed under the kitchen lights. When I first shot the layout this way the pics used to come out yellow so since then i have used white led's I also use them to do any painting as this is what i will finally use.

As for the main goods shed I'm afraid it is just a random stone 2mm scale plasticard.

Thanks again Mark :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon

The middle board is really coming along now,all the snow has fallen on the roads and hedges are beginning to define the fields.

Had no time last weekend with a visit to Bristol and Warley and any odd time to do modelling was taken up building wagon chassis but. This afternoon I have managed to start a fence and plant a row of hedges.

Each time I add something to the layout I stop and photograph it to see how it looks threw the lens.

this always shows up the little mistakes you miss with your eye and you start to work out where possible cameo scenes can be put in.

Hopefully tonight when the glue has dried I will be able to trim the hedges and put wire and paint on the fence.But for now here's a few pic's.

post-7093-12594284855405_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12594284972893_thumb.jpg

post-7093-12594285133001_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Why is this in the wrong forum area? I found this layout by looking in the layout area :icon_confused:

Jerry, who would like to start a thread on Highbury Colliery and other modelling projects if only I knew what I was doing. I'm afraid I find the new RMWeb very difficult to search and navigate but then I'm not the best with this new fangled interweb :icon_e_smile:

P.S. I think you've posted this thread in the wrong forum area.

Archived