Witney Euston

mitziblue

Why is this in the wrong forum area?

Hi Jerry

Like you when i first moved on to the new forum i didn't have a clue what i was at :angry: and ended up posting it in the help section but after the first two reply s had come in, a kind moderator moved it to the proper place for me. still haven't a clue what i'm up to now.

Thanks for the praise thou guys not sure the layouts that good it could just be selective photography. B)

• RMweb Gold

Ah so you are on the correct forum now I just couldn't find you - well glad I found you and that you're in the right place :blush:

I used to have a small child at home who could explain all this stuff to me but he grew up and went off to University. Very inconsiderate (and expensive) if you ask me :icon_smile:

In all seriousness could somebody point me in the direction of an idiot proof guide on how to set up a layout thread/blog.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Like you when i first moved on to the new forum i didn't have a clue what i was at :angry: and ended up posting it in the help section but after the first two reply s had come in, a kind moderator moved it to the proper place for me. still haven't a clue what i'm up to now.

Thanks for the praise thou guys not sure the layouts that good it could just be selective photography. B)

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention yesterday as i know some people were worried about lack of snow on roofs,

does the goods shed look about right?

Mark laugh.gif

Well to me at least it looks exactly right! This is really faboulous stuff. The sense of space and the quiet of winter is just right there in the photos, and there is a very special "style" to it all that is really inspirational icon_thumbsup2.gif. I hope you'll post some of these shots in the "how realistic are your models" thread.

• RMweb Gold

Mark, Hi,

I am happy to track this blog again - I must admit I only found it by popping back to the old RMWeb 3 and finding your link back to here!

Some really great progress - I really like the latest board, and the water works very well [which product did you use?] and the latest photos are excellent - I really look forward to see this layout at the EXPO next year.

Pete

really like the latest board, and the water works very well [which product did you use?]

Hi all

Pete the river is a glossy pva (Berol marvin medium) on top of a perspex sheet.

I really look forward to see this layout at the EXPO next year.

Well i hope it gets an invite to show it. :)

Hi Pat

Yes W E is based on my home town but I must emphasise based. Witney goods yard once was the only station in the town and was the end of the line. I have used elements from the days of goods only but will still be running a passenger service. And of course midland engines never ran to Witney

Ok the last couple of days I have been putting in the final fences and hedges, I probably leave the board at this stage for now. Next on the list is to bring the station board to the same state but i sense progress may slow as there are many features of this board i'm not happy with, but will plod my way through.

Overall i'm very happy with the layout and now believe will enjoy operating it at an expo, something that has worried me from the start.

Todays photo is one of those little gems i discovered while photographing the fence during construction to see how level things were going.

Hope you enjoy my favourite picture as yet B)

Mark :)

post-7093-12596984201231_thumb.jpg

Good evening

Work continues on the scenic boards. All weekend i have been in the workshop continuing with the woodwork, the legs have been reworked and now are more stable

also I have finally fixed the last scenic extension in place and ground to shape.

Last night the sculptamold was applied and the road painted.

Today work turned to the back scene this is 8" high which i believe to be high enough for a 2mm layout.

The front has recieved a coat of white paint to check how it will look before i buy a sheet of laminate ,and I have started playing around with back scene. Now this will eventually be painted on water colour paper and be rounded in the corners but for now it's good practice.

Also today the bare scenery has had a coat of brown paint and i am sitting here typing while the static grass drys. All in all i have been a busy little beaver and would like to start planting the hedge rows tonight but I think the christmas decs will have to come first or there could be a riot. :rolleyes:

post-7093-12601220749206_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

I have seen legs similiar to those before somewhere!

Great progress and really good to keep seeing the layout in its entirety. The backscene also looks right in proportion (something I have done in reverse on CJ!)

Keep posting whenever you get the chance between arranging the festive decs.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark, the layout continues to go from strength to strength. The winter feel is extremely effective. Personaly I would have gone for a backscene much higher - I like the top edge of the sky to be out of my eyeline when looking at the model. It does, however, cause problems if you operate from the rear although as you know Highbury is operated from the front.

I think you should crack on with the layout tonight. I'm booked to do the Christmas decorations on sunday, twelve days before the big day, which the wife tells me is when they are meant to go up - and she's always right :excl:

As for the name of the layout, I had always assumed it was a play on the fallen soul singer of the same name :D

Jerry

Hello Mark.

It is comming along really well. I didnt realise you were that far along with it!

I have to agree with Jerry though, that backscene does seem a little low, would it be possible to add a few more inches to it at all?

Missy :)

Mark,

I have seen legs similiar to those before somewhere!

Hi Pete

Must admit i thought I routed out a few more than I have. :)

Can only put the layout up in it's entirety in the yard and each time i do it (twice now)I have to stand back in disbelief at what i have accomplished this really gives me incentive to continue.

Jerry , M

As for the name of the layout, I had always assumed it was a play on the fallen soul singer of the same name

It is.

Ok here's the thinking behind this. Maybe my minds a bit warped (answers on a post card and mail to the edge of sanity ;) ) but with a low back scene maybe, just maybe it will force the viewer to stoop a little lower to get a more realistic view of the layout. I don't want to raise the layout to high and take it out of sight of others. Time will tell.

It may look as i'm getting there but rest assured there,s still plenty to do nearly down to 200 days left untill expo :blink:

12 days of Christmas We always put our decs up on the first weekend of December I thought you were supposed to take them down on the 12th day

Anyway they went up yesterday and modelling resumed today honest.

post-7093-12602151290502_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

12 days of Christmas We always put our decs up on the first weekend of December I thought you were supposed to take them down on the 12th day

Anyway they went up yesterday and modelling resumed today honest.

I've no idea what the correct time to put decs up is. Like you I just do as I'm told :)

I do like your pictures, often without a train in sight. They are wonderfully atmospheric - keep them coming.

Jerry

Nick

Been studying your colliery for a while and I'm sure it will fit in with the other layouts fine. many is the time I have thought of scrapping Witney let alone show it. just work your way threw it and I'm sure as the scenic details come together you will find hidden cameos that bring it to life for you. But always remember your building it for your enjoyment. :)

Jerry

what can I say Mr Taylor emailed me today to ask if he could ink Witney into the expo apparently someone has brought it to his attention. SO WITNEY WILL GO TO THE BALL :D

Pete

glad you like the pic, managed a little more last night and weathered the ground around that area also put in the weighbidge. Missy you wouldn't happen to have something i could use for the weigh platform at all, went to the model shop today but had to order a ratio kit and god knows when that will turn up :icon_mutter:

Early morning passenger "early" the station isn't built yet!!

post-7093-12602998413543_thumb.jpg

Mark :icon_smile:

• RMweb Gold

Jerry

what can I say Mr Taylor emailed me today to ask if he could ink Witney into the expo apparently someone has brought it to his attention. SO WITNEY WILL GO TO THE BALL :D

I wonder who that was ;) I commented to Mr Taylor that Oxford is a real hotbed of 2FS activity at the moment. Highbury is going to the ball as well. Really looking forward to seeing Whitney Euston and also Julia's Highclere which is looking stunning. The 2mm Golden Jubilee bash in Oxford is going to be a cracking weekend - Mike reckons it will be the biggest concentration of 2FS ever under one roof.

The latest picture with the Compound and clearstory is another belter

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

SO WITNEY WILL GO TO THE BALL :D

Well done Mark - Really looking forward to see it next year at the Expo...will bring hat, scarf, gloves should the snow still be prevalent :icon_winker:...

Hi all

Have been putting some white metal carts together this week that I obtained from Warley. Only problem I have with them is they have pneumatic tyres on so will not go any further with them until I get some etched cart wheels.

while building the carts i also constructed some coal staiths and now have the beginning of my coal merchants.

A dry stone wall has now been added and the hedge laid along the road. Next on the to do list will be the other side of the road. I have no clue what was originally there but now it is parks but i doubt they were there in the early 1900s will scan the interweb tonight if this doesn't throw anything up artistic license will kick in.

Today's photo is the best of the 33 shot during this afternoons building session and is taken in the middle of the road by the end of the grave yard at St Marys church.

post-7093-12607234598252_thumb.jpg

Although a little out of focus, that wall in the lower left of the picture looks really good. It even appears to have realistic amount of moss growing on it, and it looks like you've achieved a good variety of shapes in the vertical capping stones, something that often lets down models of this type of wall. Any more photos, or hints on how you made it?

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look in 'Branch Line to Fairford' by Middleton Press, there is a map on page 43 that shows the area in 1921. The area across the road from Witney Goods looks ike it was still parkland back in those days as well. St Marys church and graveyard is at the top of the map and down at the bottom left are the bowling club and tennis courts. As you can see from the Google Earth image the tree lined path across the park, this is shown on the 1921 map as well

View Larger Map">Witney

Hi NICK

Sorry to disappoint, the dry stone wall is from the lyddle end range by Hornby but you are right it's very well made only problem being the joints between sections. will post a pic of it when i have filled the joints and repainted it.

Studied the map today if you scroll high enough and know where to look you can see my old van parked outside my house :D .But back to the 1921 map I see the road was as now lined with trees so will wonder over there at the weekend to see exactly what could of been there 100 years ago.

Ok

Wall filled and repainted

Fine milliput was used to fill the joints then a thin wash of white was applied once dry watered down black ink was washed over and again allowed to dry. Next a stone coloured paint was dry brushed on. weathering powders and oil pastels completed the job.

Mark

post-7093-12636393234258_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Mark - Does not matter its from Hornby - If the cap fits, wear it...and all that. The subsequent work that you have done joining, blending and weathering looks very convincing...assume that WE is one of the layouts pencilled in for the Expo 2010 as I read in my GJLC flyer that arrived with the 2mm mag today...can't wait to see it... :icon_thumbsup2:

Archived