The Woodhead Route

Ramrig

A great video, thanks for posting the link. Whst was interesting was the colour of the roof on some of the 76s, showing tbe cream colour that became grey with time. Edited by GoingUnderground

• 3 months later...

Gents

Just a little update, I'm aware I've started a thread on this elsewhere but having revisited this thread, I'd like to post the pics here.

Albeit with a tear in my eye...

No doubt they'll come out upside down via this bloody iPad , if so I need to edit via my laptop, which is out of action for the time being.

I was showing the progress to my erstwhile GU colleague, he was made up with what it looks like and said "the windows make all the difference ".

Incidentally, many thanks to everybody who has posted their photos of RS here.

You've assisted me no end, cheers!

Incidentally, if you're wondering what an 87 is doing there, have a gander on Flickr using the search terms "87015 Reddish".

They all went to RS in the late 1970s for mods.

post-10566-0-76906800-1531728503_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Making me feel quite queasy!!

Mike.

What, the orientation of the photos, or fact that the wibbly Wobblies dared to show their faces at a DC depot?!

By the way thanks to Mark Forrest of this parish for the brace of 87s, most appreciated.

• Like 1

Was that when they had their cross arm pans removed?

What was the point of those , I think one of the early ACs at Barrow hill hasvone from an 87

I think that predates removal of the AEI cross arms Russ, I only started spotting in 1980 and remember that they all still had them at the time.

I suspect the pans were taken off to prevent them being raised under the DC, although to be fair they can be locked out via a padlock on the pan isolating lever so it was probably overkill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what would happen if it put its pan up under the DC. Probably a lot less damage than if a 76 put its pan up under AC!

You currently have the odd situation of 88s going to Hartlepool power station under the 1500V DC to Sunderland

• Like 2

Just out of interest, I went up to MOSI earlier, armed with a jotter and a tape.

I can confirm that the windscreens on EM1s and EM2s are identical in size.

The Co-Cos look wider, but it's an optical illusion: they are in fact closer together due to the cabside taper.

Also, and I'm surprised I never noticed this before, but the lower, central headlight bezel that NS fitted is in fact a modified BR one!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

News item in the Sheffield Star about a plan to reintroduce passenger commuter and steam services on the Victoria-Stocksbridge line.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/forgotten-sheffield-railway-line-could-be-revived-with-steam-trains-and-commuter-services-1-9270316/amp

Dava

Would an extension to the Super Tram potentially using Tram Train technology not be a more viable option?

• RMweb Gold

Would an extension to the Super Tram potentially using Tram Train technology not be a more viable option?

As it already runs to Middlewood, I would have thought a diversion/extension to some where in the Wadsley Bridge station area would be a better idea?

Mike.

As it already runs to Middlewood, I would have thought a diversion/extension to some where in the Wadsley Bridge station area would be a better idea?

Mike.

Hi Mike, you’re no doubt correct. I don’t know Sheffield that well and didn’t realise the Supertram was so close. Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike, you’re no doubt correct. I don’t know Sheffield that well and didn’t realise the Supertram was so close. Jim

You could then put in a connection at Nunhead depot(I'm not sure if there is one already or not) and wire up to Wadlsey Bridge for football specials/diversions etc. There might even be some existing mast foundation if you look hard enough.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

You could then put in a connection at Nunhead depot(I'm not sure if there is one already or not) and wire up to Wadlsey Bridge for football specials/diversions etc. There might even be some existing mast foundation if you look hard enough.

Jamie

Pedant corner.

Nunnery.

Whilst it would seem geographically a good idea to connect here, the existing track bed doesn't really give access to any areas that aren't already covered by the tram. It would virtually parallel it, albeit about half a mile or so apart.

The line to the Middlewood terminus is already considerably closer to Swillsborough than Wadsley Bridge station, so no advantage gained there.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Pedant corner.

Nunnery.

Whilst it would seem geographically a good idea to connect here, the existing track bed doesn't really give access to any areas that aren't already covered by the tram. It would virtually parallel it, albeit about half a mile or so apart.

The line to the Middlewood terminus is already considerably closer to Swillsborough than Wadsley Bridge station, so no advantage gained there.

Mike.

Thanks for the correction Mike, Wadsley Bridge was used for Football specials, long after the Woodhead line closed so some express services via Nunnery (Correction noted) might attract custom on match days.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the correction Mike, Wadsley Bridge was used for Football specials, long after the Woodhead line closed so some express services via Nunnery (Correction noted) might attract custom on match days.

Jamie

Wadsley Bridge was also at times used for Manchester Piccadilly - St Pancras and return services after closure, with a DMU connection back to Sheffield when Victoria was in no fit state for passengers.

I doubt a specific express link to the pig sty would be a viable economic option, most of their delusional supporters live at that end of town, and the only time a substantial number of supporters would need to be ferried backwards and forwards would be on the one occasion that the better of the two Sheffield teams visits, and that's only once per season.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I paid homage to sacred ground yesterday.

I visited the site of Reddish Depot for the first time since 1991, when the ETD was being demolished.

Wish I hadn't in many ways. Barratt-type boxes all over the place and 10 Road appears to be known as 'Nutmeg Close' these days.

What a shame the developers didn't give a nod to the site's history, and insisted on 'Minerva Close', 'Prometheus Drive', 'Juno Crescent' and so on.

There was however a 'Flemish Crescent' or similar, Flemish is almost Dutch, so at least there is a (very) tenuous link!!

I got talking to an old guy walking his dog along the Fallowfield Loop, who remembered the depot both during operations and being mothballed and he mentioned that when it was under 'guard' the security was abysmal which led to the depot being trashed. He also recalled the Metrolink demonstration line in operation, we were stood on the crossover from the depot at that point.

I took the liberty of showing him a few historical pics on my iPad, and he was able to tell me where they were taken in relation to where we stood.

When I showed him my pics of the model so far he said "bloody hell, you've got that spot on!" Made up with that of course.

My main reason for going there was actually to photograph the corporation houses that were there when RS/9C was operational, as I need to depict some of these on my layout.

I was hoping to catch some old dudes in their gardens so I could ask to take pics of their home (giving my reason of course!), sadly it was raining heavily so I didn't get the chance. I suppose I could've taken a few snaps on the sly but felt uncomfortable with that, so I didn't.

Attached some pics from the jaunt, no doubt these will come out the wrong way up, despite RMwebbers advising me how to do this correctly I'm not savvy on these iPad thingies so apologies in advance.

post-10566-0-18934200-1535167351_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-69564900-1535167400_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

I too paid homage to Reddish three years ago E3109, walking along the road from Reddish North just as I did for the first time in August 1972 on a day trip from Oxford. at the age of (nearly) 13 ! They say you should never go back, for me at least that was true, because the contrast to the excitement I felt that day compared to what is there now was just too much. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...