A long way off starting modelling... a hypothetical question.

Font T

Hi, just recently joined the forum as I’m after a bit of advice.

Due to life being chaotic as it is with a small child, I don’t anticipate being able to start a new layout for at least 10 years or so.

I have some Talyllyn locos in 7mm scale that we’re built up for me from kit form. This was around 2002-2005 for a layout I was starting to build when I lived at home with my parents, but I soon moved out and the layout was scrapped. The locos were tested and worked ok to some degrees of success I can recall, but have been boxed away the whole time since then.

When I eventually start my new layout one day, I planned on getting them out again to check if they still even work. However, I said to myself that in that time if there were ever any ready to run loco models released either in 7mm or 009 scale for Talyllyn, Vale of Rheidol or Fairbourne railways then I’d go for these and sell my old locos.

So I’ve been checking what’s on the market every now and again, and there’s no way of predicting exactly what will happen over the next 10 years of course but now I’ve been thrown a curveball already by the release of Skarloey and Rheneas by Bachmann in 009.

I’m a total novice in all areas of modelling and wasn’t even sure if it would be possible to repaint them and remove the faces, but I’ve seen that it is and there are some fantastic pieces of work people have done to convert Skarloey to Talyllyn.

So a couple of very daft questions probably.

Firstly, what are people’s take on whether Bachmann will release the full range of locos- Sir Handel, Peter Sam etc.

And secondly if I was to purchase these locos now (Skarloey & Rheneas) and kept them boxed up, would they run as new in years ahead?

The models I have in 7mm were kit built so presumably more prone to breaking down than ready to runs anyway I presume? And they were also exposed to the elements for a while before being boxed.

Just wondering if storing brand new, boxed up, ready to run locos would be a lot better in that regard?

If I went down the 009 Skarloey, Rheneas route then I’d sell my old locos.

Just wondering what people think I should do? Should I hold fire? Do people see the industry expanding over the next decade to include more ready to run kits in 7mm/009 in perhaps the Welsh Narrow Gauge railways I mentioned? My absolute dream would be to build a layout with just the 3 VoR locos, bought ready to run in either scale.

I appreciate this is all hypotheticals, and plenty of people are probably pulling their hair out reading this!

But just any bit of advice would be greatly welcomed, and this is my first post on here!

My instinct was telling me just to hold fire and see what comes up, 10 years is a long time. But as soon as I saw the photos of people’s 009 conversion from Skarloey to Talyllyn, I felt like a kid in a sweet shop! It would be awful if this is the closest we’ll ever get to ready to run locos on the Welsh Narrow Gauge, and I feel as if I don’t want to miss my chance. Thanks..

I doubt there will be 009 or 016.5 Fairbourne locos as it was 15" gauge and is now 12.25" (yes I know it started out as a 2ft horse tramway). As for the others I think there might be some Talyllyn wagons already and Peco have definitely done the Glyn Valley coaches subsequently used on the Talyllyn. I had to choose between 009 and 016.5 when I started, before the RTR feast of recent years. For me 009 was best because of the smaller space taken up and given the circumstances you describe you might be able to build a micro layout in this scale much sooner than you think. On the other hand, some people have suggested that 016.5 is initially cheaper and with things like Hornby 0-4-0s readily available to convert I can see how it could be. In the end it is up to you and it probably depends if you have any other 7mm stock besides the locos. I have a feeling the connection to a Big Four company and the fact there are three locos virtually the same will make the VoR locos attractive to an RTR manufacturer in future in the same way the L&B locos were. A third option is obviously to model Fairbourne in 09 although the RTR prospects for this are probably much worse. I haven't kept up with developments in 7mm NG recently so I couldn't tell you if there are any plans for RTR 016.5.

Font, to answer your basic (I think) question, regarding will a 009 Skarloey or Rheneas run after years of storage, "Maybe".

A lot will depend on what the type of lubrication is used at the factory, basically it's 'shelf life', and conditions where it is stored. A better idea, would be to buy a basic oval (or circle) of the Kato N scale, and pull it and the locos out once a year or so, and give them a run for a bit. Both models are excellent runners brand new, out of the box, and a bit of 'exercise would help them stay that way. But you would also be surprised at how liitle space you would need, for a small simple layout.

Bachmann USA released 2 batches of Skarloey, and 1 of Rheneas, so far. There was a several month time period between the batches of Skarloey. They have announced Rusty as the next one, and someone posted on one of the NG forums that he had been told Peter Ham would aslo be done.

They can be converted to non Thomas looks. Yes, they can be repainted. Some just paint over the original colors, some strip the color off, 1st. Narrow Planet sells a kit for the Skarloey, with new smoke box front, air pump, more to scale size cylanders and finer looking etched linkage parts. How much one wants to change is up to the modeller. There is also a forthcoming similar kit for the Rheneas, due soon.

Bachmann Branchlines (UK) has WD Baldwin 4-6-0T locos due out very soon, and Quarry Hunslet 0-4-0s in the pipeline. I would imagine that, if sales are good, more will follow from Bachmann.

Currently, in the model narrow gauge loco possibilities, 009 is way ahead of 7mm, from what I have seen, so far.

RTR is available in 009, with more announced. Nothing, yet, in 7mm NG. A number of Shapeways dealers creating and selling a fairly large number of 009 3d printed bodies, to be used on various N scale chassis. In 7mm, only a few, plus resin cast bodies from Smallbrook Studios, and all, or most, seem to use a readily available Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, but of very simple, almost toy like looks.

I have been exploring, and debating with myself, regarding going with one scale verses the other. Right now, the ONLY thing keeping 7mm in the running is that I want to go with radio control, which would be easier to do in the larger scale.

Anyway, hope this is a bit of help.

Jim F

Thanks so much for the replies to my rambling original post! Still haven’t made my mind up, and 009 micro yes I’m very tempted to wait and see on the VoR situation. May be a risk worth taking.

Thanks for the advice Jim, and if I do go down the Bachmann narrow gauge route with these models then I think that’s what I’ll do, test them once a year or so.

Anglian, no I hadn’t really considered the garden seriously before. I see your point as I’d have more space and they’d be less prone to getting damaged as they would in he house. However my problem is more time at the moment (apart from writing long rambling posts on this forum it seems!) Something to consider though possibly.

Many thanks to all. I’m in a proper quandary over this but will take a bit more time to think. Will definitely visit these forums for information as I go along.

Really Useful Boxes make a range of different size storage boxes which are ideal for storing scenic modules long-term, no matter what scale you choose there is no reason why you can't do some modelling and put whatever you make away to be used once you go ahead with the final model.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php

In the meantime it may be worthwhile planning out a potential layout in both 4mm and 7mm and looking at the space that will be required - it might help you to choose, the same way as choosing between N gauge and OO.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice.

Finally made a decision, the lure of the Bachmann narrow gauge was too strong so I’m planning to buy the Skarloey & Rheneas models.

The fact they’re RtR, good runners so I’m told, and the fact that I’ve seen how good people out there can do paint jobs on them has sealed it for me.

I’m planning to buy them soon and then once the little one starts pre-school, build a small simple layout just to give them regular runs with the view to building something larger and more scenic longer term.

I’m also going to buy the conversion accessory packs for each, with the view to having them repainted and lined at some point also.

This means I’ll be selling my assembled 7mm scale TR locos. If anyone on here could tell me how I’d go about getting them valued (because I honestly have no idea how to start), that would be great.

The big risk for me here is that Bachmann don’t go on to release Sir Handel, Peter Sam & Duncan, but that’s a risk I’m going to have to take.

And if they don’t, and then in a few years time somebody decides to make RtR VoR locos, then I’ve got another decision to make.

Thanks for all your help and patience, as you can tell I’m not really a modeller at all yet- but hope to be at some point in the future.

If you start out with the conversion packs you might find you enjoy it and want to do a whole loco (I think the other Talyllyn locos are available as kits). If not it might be interesting to model the pre-preservation era - only the two locos you're getting and a very underrepresented period in Talyllyn models. I would suggest joining the 009 Society which you will find very welcoming and informative. I've seen larger scale stock on the sales stand in the past so you may even be able to sell your 7mm stock, although I'm not too sure on that one. I think we now have a way to continue the free wagon kit for new members which is a plus, it will be fairly generic but something to get you started.

The best way to dispose of 7mm NG stock would be to sell it through the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association. They have a stand at most of the larger NG shows, like NG South, NG North and Swanley and possibly some of the smaller NG open days.

I had an email from Model Rail recently with a questionnaire asking what their next limited edition model should be. One of the options was a VoR 2-6-2T :-)

As to the amount of space needed for a 009 layout, look at my profile picture!

Thanks 009, nice idea about the early era Talyllyn, something to bear in mind.

RJS1977, I will contact 7mmnga online and take it from there. I don’t suppose Model Rail said when the limited edition model will be released, whatever it is?

I thought this as well, I just wasn't sure if you had to be a 7mm NGA member to do this. Selling it through an NG modelling society you will get a fairer price than online or probably through dealers.

I think if you turn up at their stand at an exhibition they won't quibble whether you're a member or not, especially if the models are good quality. As a non-member, I have certainly bought off them at a show (ironically buying a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis to put under my childhood 101 tank which had stripped a gear).

If the 009 Society's anything to go by, the main difference with how they treat non-Members will be that they will not do mail order for non-Members.