GCR Fish Van Livery

I've ended up with quite a few etched kits for GCR fish vans, of various varieties - one bogie and several 4 wheelers. Having finished one of them, I'm considering how to paint it.

Peter Tatlow's LNER Wagons south book simply says that GCR wagons were grey, apart from refrigerated ones, which were lighter grey. However I remember reading somewhere else (can't find where) that GCR NPCS were painted chocolate brown, to suit running with passenger stock.

So the thing I'm wondering is whether the fish vans, with their full fitted brake gear etc, counted as NPCS?

Some of the photos of the fish vans in GCR livery in the Tatlow book look decidedly dark compared to photos of other wagons, but I know it's difficult to tell from black and white photography!

Justin

When originally built, the bogie fish vans- the first diagram with the louvred sides- were painted in the NPCS brown livery.  (Page 147, vol.3 of Dow there's a photo of one of these).  But at some point- I was told once when this was but I've now forgotten- they were repainted in grey.   

I would agree the livery change was about 1908.

Worth mentioning that at least some of the bogie fish vans were originally lined out in yellow/straw. I have seen a model so, and it was an incredible piece of work. However, most of these vans in service would have been pretty filthy in reality as they were not cleaned, so the lining was perhaps a bit of an extravagance. 

The slatted bogie vans were, IIRC, not introduced until after the livery change.