woodenhead

Chee Tor

I really enjoyed watching that film, many thanks for posting the link. I have not seen it before despite searching on You Tube in the past. I have a copy of MRJ issue 50 which has a nice feature on the layout.

I really enjoyed watching that film, many thanks for posting the link. I have not seen it before despite searching on You Tube in the past. I have a copy of MRJ issue 50 which has a nice feature on the layout.

Hi Andy,

The layout also featured in Railway Modeller in November 1991, and in BRM in October 2005.

If you have a real archaeological bent then try Railway Modeller for May 1981, which features Chee Tor's predecessor Gransmoor Castle in it's almost final form, you can see the start of the "railway in the scenery" that epitomised Chee Tor.

Kevin

Railway Modeller for May 1981, which features Chee Tor's predecessor Gransmoor Castle in it's almost final form, you can see the start of the "railway in the scenery" that epitomised Chee Tor. Kevin

I suddenly feel a bit ancient as remember seeing Gransmoor Castle in London around that year.. thx for reminder

Thanks greatly for posting the Chee Tor/Cheedale link. I remember the layout well (and also am old enough to have seen Gransmoor, albeit on its last outing). A delightful layout and a charming video. I wish a few more of the layout videos posted on YouTube had the subtle sound effects and such a good linking commentary, rather than the ubiquitous noise of chattering public and operators. Much better to have no sound at all!

Best wishes,

John

Gransmoor in its original form, as written up in the Constructor, spurred me to make my original N gauge layout at home: ‘Gouldby for Caldecote’ in the early 1970s. This then morphed into Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo at the MRC. Chee Tor had a relatively short exhibition life, as it made a magnificent scenic statement, but was then not really developed further.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3

My recollection, as a long-standing MMRS country member, is that Gransmoor Castle started life as an N gauge layout but acquired a 2FS branch line in due course, but it is a long while ago, I think that the last time I saw it it was being exhibited in the stairwell of the original UMIST location of the MMRS Christmas show, so I might be wrong.

I seem to recollect that CF's predecessor, Chiltern Green, mixed N and 2FS as well, but doubtless Tim will correct me if I have that wrong.

Gransmoor in its original form, as written up in the Constructor, spurred me to make my original N gauge layout at home: ‘Gouldby for Caldecote’ in the early 1970s. This then morphed into Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo at the MRC. Chee Tor had a relatively short exhibition life, as it made a magnificent scenic statement, but was then not really developed further.

Tim

G'day Folks

I never saw any of the layouts mentioned, working on the real thing precluded visits to shows, but the bit I always liked was the Luton Hoo branch, it got me into modelling the LNER instead of BR (E) it was so GN in character.

manna 

Thanks for that, thoroughly enjoyed it. I think one of my earliest Railway Modellers must have been the one featuring Chee Tor, as I distinctly remember a cover with a Blue Pullman coming round a hill. Being about 6 at the time, I don't remember a lot else from it, so it was great to watch this. Inspirational modelling. 

This video was on the diamond jubilee dvd, I have watched it many times!

Jan

It was this video, along with a couple of other peoples postings in N and 2FS that have had me selling my OO collection in order to finally fund a proper modelling start. 

Almost at the goal for Airbrush and Weathering tools - and hopefully can pick the rest of the the things up at an exhibition in a couple of weeks - plus spend time enjoying Fence Houses too.

Lathe would be nice, but all in good time 8^)