Advice for someone thinking of starting modelling American

Jerry1975

• RMweb Gold

Era and location are everything in the US, just as in the UK. Of course if you want to use Rule 1 then by all means just buy things that take your fancy. But you may then reach a point where anachronisms suddenly jar.

Study and decide before buying, would be my advice.

Thanks Everyone for all your replies and help.

I will be looking at building something about 4-5ft long and 16 inches wide and a separate fiddle yard.

F-uninted mad:

I wouldn't want to be travelling down that track.

I will have a look at different areas, regions etc.

I'm thinking of a small switcher or two a few box cars, on the layout a few wharehouses to load/unload wagons.

Maybe N gauge is the way to go for me as I suffer from a lack of space.

Thanks again everyone, you have been very helpful and made me feel welcome.

Jerry.

You say you've "lack of space" your 4-5ftx16" plus fiddle yard(total 6'-7') is more than enough for a small HO switching layout, if planned well.

tips-chose a period or rule one

find as much info as you can, youtube, web.

ask question at exhibitions

DON'T impulse buy(oh that's a nice colour etc, unless rule one applies)

take your time planning, will save you in the long run 

most of all enjoy the Darkside

Ray

• RMweb Gold

As far as N gauge is concerned, Kato and Atlas are probably the best makes to go for. For a smooth running switcher, the Kato NW-2 is excellent. Atlas do an Alco S-2 switcher, but note that the sound-fitted version is DCC *only*. New N scale US items can be obtained from N Scale American Trains (http://www.nscaleamericantrains.co.uk/en/).

The Arnold SW-1 is excellent too, but AFAIK Arnold are withdrawing from the US market.

I'd also suggest getting hold of at least one issue of Model Railroad Planning, an annual produced by Kalmbach, the publishers of Model Railroader. Iain Rice has also written a number of layout planning books for them, a couple of which concentrate on smaller models. Indeed Kalmbach produce a number of useful, and quite cheap, books. These can be obtained in the UK from SPV of Faversham.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

A few more hints. For smaller size cars go for the transition period 1955-1965 when most boxcars were 40’ long. Then you can use first generation diesels, GM SW9, SW1200, NW2, or Alco S2, S3, S4, or, if you fancy something a bit smaller a GE 44 tonner. For maximum interest in minimum space John Allen’s “Timesaver” is a good layout and can be broken down into two sections for storage. You’ll also need a caboose or your crews won’t like you ;-). As for manufacturers Atlas is very good and if you fancy Canadian prototype then Rapido is excellent. Don’t buy boxcars with truck (bogie) mounted couplers, they are an abomination and should be burned on sight. There is much fun to be had on this side of the pond.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thank you for your replies.

I quite like Selah fruit row micro layout that is in continental modeller so something like this will be ideal for a first micro layout American style, I was also thinking perhaps a fork layout with a warehouse.

I have been watching New York short lines ( what is a short line? ) and quite like warehouses in cramped places, I also like the Canadian railroads ( it's quest channels fault ).

A lot of research is needed by myself and the help you have given me is much appreciated.

I think I will stick to HO scale as it's a Scale not far off OO so familiar to me.

I have an HO scale Harley Davidson so that is a start lol.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

I quite like Selah fruit row micro layout that is in continental modeller so something like this will be ideal for a first micro layout American style, I was also thinking perhaps a fork layout with a warehouse.

I have been watching New York short lines ( what is a short line? ) and quite like warehouses in cramped places, I also like the Canadian railroads ( it's quest channels fault ).

A lot of research is needed by myself and the help you have given me is much appreciated.

I think I will stick to HO scale as it's a Scale not far off OO so familiar to me.

I have an HO scale Harley Davidson so that is a start lol.

Jerry.

• Like 2

What is a Short Line? :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortline_railroad

Basically an independant (from the big Class 1's) Railroad defined as a Short Line by revenue, not route miles. These days a company like Genesee & Wyoming will own several short lines.

They are a full-size equivalent of freelance modelling, a fascinating area of US Railroading to study, & despite having private railway companies again for many years now, we have no equivalent here in the UK.

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

I take it that the OP has looked at the thread here on US trackplans.

Plenty of good suggestions there for minimum space HO layouts. N is probably only going to look good if OP is willing to go to Code 40 track and not so good for switching..

• RMweb Gold

You have essentially two choices: buy some stuff to play with without much regard to era or location, or buy some books/magazines to find out a bit more about the prototype before buying only what suits your more informed choice.

Be careful....modelling American is addictive.....seriously addictive.

I had no interest in American railroads whatsoever, till I visited 8 years ago.

Since then.... I can't get enough of American railways.

It's a vast subject, with a huge amount of information available to you.

Perhaps first pick an area or industry that appeals and go from there, not forgetting that freelancing is perfectly acceptable.

You can lose hours just browsing (old) Walthers catalogues, and if you ever get th chance to visit, go.

The railway, in particular the freight...... can be nothing short of mind blowing.

• Like 3

Selah was built by 298 on this forum

Who has nearly had a heart attack...

Hi Everyone.

That Selah is 26" x 11" and very much a Micro and only works with 40' stock. Allowing a bit of extra room for 50' cars and a bigger switcher plus less tight geometry would make it at least 3' long.

post-6819-0-75811600-1521496177_thumb.jpg

One advantage of that reverse spur though instead of a fan is the loco can go further into the layout, I've seen others where you see cars move but never the loco because it's always off scene.

I'm also building a 3-2-2 inglenook for a SW1500 and 50' cars and that needs 5' of scenery.

• Like 5

Thanks F-united mad for explaining that.

Joseph_pastell: Thanks for your post, I've looked at some of the layouts on the us trackplans section and some very inspiring ones.

Regularity: I'm going to research more before deciding what to model.

Talltim: Thanks for that.

Blackrat: Thanks for your reply, freight is what I'm more interested in to be honest, passenger trains don't really do it for me except perhaps railcars, I've spent a lot of time today reading things US railroading.

298: Thanks for your reply, I must say I do really like your little layout, I noticed a tram type car you use on it, is that for passengers?

You've done well in a small space, can't wait to see your inglenook layout.

Jerry.

Selah is (I think) based on an inter-urban, which is basically a longish distance tramway, so you see those lovely little steeplecab electric locos and passenger trains which are streetcars.

Another fascinating part of US railroading, though you've got to be into making your own rolling stock to some extent; AFAIK there's no suitable RTR locos at least. If I ever saw one I'd probably buy it...

• Like 1

298: Thanks for your reply, I must say I do really like your little layout, I noticed a tram type car you use on it, is that for passengers?.

The network in Yakima started with small Trams, but as it reached out to nearby towns larger Interurban cars were used. Both of these are modified Labelle Kits, with the Box Motor on the right hauling cars and also used for less than carload freight from local farms on route.

The Passenger car would have hauled a Trailer when necessary, and during the busy State Fair week flat cars equipped with Benches were used.

The Interurban service stopped in 1935 and the City lines in 1947. Freight finally ended in 1985.

post-6819-0-75050600-1521513116_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

1950's US is fun because there was a lot of overlap on diesel and steam power.

The revered Kadee coupler is in its element and makes shunting layouts a breeze.

40ft boxcars are the US equivalent of PO 5/7 plank open wagons, with even less restriction on the weird and wonderful places they may turn up. There are exceptions, but things like Swifts Meats ice reefers went everywhere.

The Americans had their share of tiny shunting locomotives. I'm a sucker for the 44 Ton diesel switcher, and the 0-4-0ST shunter is miniscule as well.

Narrow gauge has plenty of support, and provides the opportunity for some really interesting prototypes like Climax and Shay locomotives.

Jerry,

One (other) thing you will need to decide is the level of prototype accuracy you are aiming for. It is possible to build a layout of any size and put US stock and even structures on it but it won't automatically LOOK American. I have seen such layouts in the past.

An area where this is obvious is trackwork. US PW is very different to its U.K. and even European equivalent, as a close look at the videos will show. It's your decision but when I've built US layouts I use the correct style of track. Peco now do an accurate US style range of track and you might want to look closely at that.

When it comes to couplings, as has already been said, Kadees are the way to go. There is virtually no stock that they won't fit and they are reliable when correctly set up using the height gauge. They are also correct to prototype.

steve

• RMweb Premium

I'd also recommend looking at short lines, not only do they present lot's of potential for making nice and realistic layouts in a compact space they're a fascinating part of the NA railroad scene and are often operated by locomotives long since departed from the Class 1's. If you like the class 1's you can make switching layouts or with some thought it is possible to make a reasonably compact main line type layout but if you want to represent lash ups of high power locomotives pulling long trains then even in N gauge you need quite a bit of space.

For stock, these days most of the RTR is good and at the higher end NA models are as good as it gets. Although Scale Trains, Rapido, Athearn Genesis etc get a lot of plaudits (deservedly so) I still think that for overall balance between fidelity to prototype, finish, quality and price you can't beat Atlas with Kato still being the gold standard for finish and running quality. Don't ignore brass either, if you are interested in the more obscure prototypes or steeple cab electrics they're often available in brass and if you are careful about what you buy brass prices may not be as high as you think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm also building a 3-2-2 inglenook for a SW1500 and 50' cars and that needs 5' of scenery.

Me too - probably Chicago based with a bit of IHB/CP/CSX - I may go slightly longer to get a variety of building types in - old brick and modern concrete/steel in close proximity.

Edited by Gilbert

The scenario I have chosen for my garden layout is a short line which also runs tourist trains. There are a couple around I think.

This allows me to take the following liberties:-

1. I run steam and diesel. I can legitimately have a Shay pulling a rake of open passenger cars passing a GP38 with half a dozen box cars.

2. I can run my diesels in whatever livery I like. There are quite a number of both heritage lines and short lines that run locos in the liveries of “fallen flags”

3. In line with current trends my line has a transit system for commuters. I admit this rather oddly is run by a couple of RDCs and a Parry People Mover. It is of course perfectly possible that a short line could have bought the original PPM50 From the UK in order to provide a cheap to run transit service. After all a railroad in Vancouver used to run a passenger service using something built from a speeder in a back yard somewhere in California.

This might be going too far for many and sound too much like playing trains but the more I read the more it seems that pretty much anything can happen on US railroads. I find Trains magazine is an excellent source of inspiration.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

I agree that the layout should at least have the look and feel of being American, I'm taken by the short lines at the moment and would possibly build something like this.

I also agree with " it's my layout so I will run what I like ", personally I like to make layouts as realistic as I can within my capabilities but I'm no rivet counter and after all it's a fun hobby and for me that's what it's all about.

I got an issue of railroad modelling magazine and I'm trying to resist all those lovely models in the classifieds section.

Kadee couplings are the ones I'd be using as these seem to be fitted to most if not all rolling stock I've seen.

I'm doing this on a tight budget ( until I can sell off a few things I no longer want ) so will be looking at second hand locomotives, should there be anything I should be looking out for, be aware of?

One question, is it common for different companies to have each others rolling stock in a train or would they use their own locomotives etc to pull it, I guessing the former.

Thanks to you all.

Jerry.

loco's, keep away from AHM, Model power, Tyco, early Bachmann early lifelike, ok one's for some one on  a budget, Athearn blue box, later Bachmann, later lifelike,proto1000, good ones, Altas, proto 2000, Kato Athearn RTR ,Genesis, Walthers etc

same applies to rolling stock 

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A couple of websites I see suggested quite often are:

http://www.spookshow.net/locos.html

With a good many reviews of N Scale loco's, handy reference if something of a bargain takes your fancy away from 'the usual suspects'.

http://www.carendt.com/category/micro-layout-design-gallery/

Plenty of designs to look through there.

Regards, Gerry.