Red's Unsound Buildings - Designing Kelsby

Looking good. Any chance of an overall picture of the layout.

You've been busy making all these buildings, etc.

It would be good to see them in situ and see how they go together.

Dave

Bit hard to do that as the room is big and there's no way I can get the entire layout in the picture due to the shape of the room. The in situ photos are usually on the KLR main thread.

Here's a little peek around the corner onto Board 2 though. The level crossing is in place, as is Peter's shed (courtesy of In the Greenwood or whatever they're called, don't have the box to hand atm). Also the start of the Kelsby to Hewe main road.

post-33750-0-50865800-1538733149_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And the newest additions to the KLR layout are these four houses, by German company Faller. Little under scale, but they'll do and the styles aren't totally alien to Norfolk so I can live with it. Doubt anyone will really care. Removed three of them from their bases and removed their glazing so I don't ruin them when I undercoat them. The prefab at the back will just get a new paint job on the roof and the red bits so that's about it.

post-33750-0-58991400-1540023330_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Some updates to the ongoing construction of Kelsby Village. Sorry about the wait, had a lot going on.

While I was at Banham car boot last weekend I picked up a few more buildings - a nice pub perfect for Hewe, two more houses and a factory for Hewe Docks.

post-33750-0-44921100-1540562419_thumb.jpg

Also this gorgeous die-cast Hornby Dublo footbridge... I have no use for it as all of the stations on the KLR layout are single platform, but I'm loathe to get rid of it because I really like it.

post-33750-0-29014900-1540562652_thumb.jpg

I've also completed three of the houses I already had, which now sit on the layout as I try to work out where they'll go permanently. Only the grey prefab is permanently fixed down.

post-33750-0-91960800-1540562867_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-02091900-1540563073_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Wow, I've not posted on this thread in two and a half months. Huh.

Anyway, my latest building purchase has arrived: a Dapol village church kit.

post-33750-0-74623100-1547367331_thumb.jpg

Hoping to edit this to have a round tower. If not it's not the end of the world, it'll still look Norfolk enough when I give it that all important flint texture.

The bigger issue is I have the kit but won't be able to work on it as I'll be spending the next week with my brother and his other half in Ely, with plans to go up to London and maybe Peterborough. Be good for me to get out of my normal humdrum routine. I will try and report periodically with any purchases I make.

• Like 3

Well, after spending a lovely week hanging out with my brother (and catching a look at these two old beauties, 37407 and 37403 while at Norwich Station today):

attachicon.gifDSC_0106.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0107.JPG

I return to my workbench with these goodies.

Bus shelters and platform staff for Kelsby

And Kelsby Church... Or what will eventually be Kelsby church once I work out how I'm doing this.

attachicon.gifDSC_0108.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has it really been three months since I posted on this thread? Jeez.

Anyway, what with the ongoing house move, there won't be much going on in a lot of places. I can still do little bits to go on the KLR V2 once it's completed. 
So here is a small wooden station shelter to go on Hewe Embankment station.

58594633_10219310842672173_4566514382791507968_o.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Right. Church time again.

No, I haven't suddenly found God, anyone on here who knows me well knows full well that's never going to happen. I mean the church at Kelsby.

So, I return to the same problem I had with it earlier. I have the main structure of the church in the form of a Kitmaster kit. I have the frame for the tower. I need to work out how to scratchbuild a round church tower. Any tips? Particularly can you get plasticard of a similar pattern and texture to the Kitmaster church walls, and how do I do the windows purposely and make them actually look like they're not just holes cut into the stone? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would you prefer to work in plastic or card? Perhaps a food or drink container might provide the right kind of cylinder?

What diameter do you think you need?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Would you prefer to work in plastic or card? Perhaps a food or drink container might provide the right kind of cylinder?

What diameter do you think you need?

I have a cardboard tube of what I think is the appropriate diameter to use as a base. This is more about creating the exterior texture to match the kit and also how to create accurate windows.

I prefer to work in plastic as it's more sturdy, since you're asking. 

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how bendable Wills stone texture sheet is when it's put in warm water. I've seen some people wrap styrene around a plastic bottle, fix with elastic bands, and then soak in warm water, changing the water when it cools down. The only thing is whether it will sufficiently bend it for a cylinder.

21 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I wonder how bendable Wills stone texture sheet is when it's put in warm water. I've seen some people wrap styrene around a plastic bottle, fix with elastic bands, and then soak in warm water, changing the water when it cools down. The only thing is whether it will sufficiently bend it for a cylinder.

Hmm, kind of what I was thinking actually, but I'm similarly unsure of whether it'd bend far enough. All food for thought. 

On 08/05/2019 at 11:29, RedGemAlchemist said:

Right. Church time again.

No, I haven't suddenly found God, anyone on here who knows me well knows full well that's never going to happen. I mean the church at Kelsby.

So, I return to the same problem I had with it earlier. I have the main structure of the church in the form of a Kitmaster kit. I have the frame for the tower. I need to work out how to scratchbuild a round church tower. Any tips? Particularly can you get plasticard of a similar pattern and texture to the Kitmaster church walls, and how do I do the windows purposely and make them actually look like they're not just holes cut into the stone? 

If you can draw the windows you want, including fancy stone work, you could get them laser cut. Doing each window as two or more layers laminated would allow some structure in the stonework.

Alternatively, fancy stone windows could be printed in 3D. Shapeways have a tool that extrudes 3D fretwork from a black and white image that one might prepare from a photograph of a real church, and this would save much time in modelling the windows.

A laser-cutting outfit could probably engrave the entire stonework for the tower on something that you could bend round a centre former.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

If you can draw the windows you want, including fancy stone work, you could get them laser cut. Doing each window as two or more layers laminated would allow some structure in the stonework.

Alternatively, fancy stone windows could be printed in 3D. Shapeways have a tool that extrudes 3D fretwork from a black and white image that one might prepare from a photograph of a real church, and this would save much time in modelling the windows.

A laser-cutting outfit could probably engrave the entire stonework for the tower on something that you could bend round a centre former.

Hmm. Thanks mate. Definitely a thought.

• 1 month later...

Ok, let's start off with a belated KLMRS haul:

83507789_KLRMShaul.jpg.0dc192ed9ec53dfa4d73846656a0f2c1.jpg

A goods shed, a Wills bus shelter to replace the far-too-modern one outside Kelsby station, a Tardis for a nice little joke, some more buffers and some Wills scenic materials, which I am using to assist with...
KelChurch.jpg.3f6b1603fe77452bbe7c2ac2cf563839.jpg

This. Kelsby Church is finally back under way, 5 months after I first started it. The tower was a royal pain to do, as I had to bend two random stone pieces around a cardboard tube and blast it with a hairdryer on max heat and strength to bend it to that shape, which is still not perfect. Still, baby steps, and not bad for my first time scratchbuilding anything major. Also preferred a proper, traditional lead slat roof rather than slates or tiles so we have that on there now. Still very much a WIP though.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Three months since my last post on here, I'm back fully, with something new to show! 

The first building built in my new house is this little warehouse building for Berkham Works. It's adapted from two wooden laser-cut kits by a company called Sarissa Precision Ltd., a tabletop scenery maker who I had the pleasure of meeting the owner and CEO of while at the Diceni wargaming convention in Norwich. I saw these two little buildings, as well as a large yard office similar to the one in one of the yards the company I work for owns, and thought they would be perfect for the KLR workshops. So I took them off the sprues... and promptly lost one wall of the smaller building so I improvised the two into the longer building you see in these photos. It's not painted yet and I haven't built the office yet but it's still a start back on the road to the rails. :)

_20191020_220708.JPG.d7c506f3de2a622bde3a5f8fe2194c21.JPG

_20191020_220650.JPG.38682ca1e62aab1cddbb85c7f83b757e.JPG

Apologies for the fact I'm making this on a strip of crummy secondhand carpet. I don't have a workbench at this moment, nor any furniture as the actual carpets in the house haven't been laid yet. It'll also be quite some time before the layout itself can be set up and started on again. Still, onwards and upwards. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/10/2019 at 15:42, RedGemAlchemist said:

Took this photo of the old railway bridge just down the road from my new house as I walked to my therapy session. This is at Ovington, on the former Swaffham - Thetford line if you're curious.

_20191022_153728.JPG.b8350319b58d076886511c8db3033eaf.JPG

There's nothing more depressing than a pair of abutments with nothing between them.

They speak of wasted opportunities...

Nevermind, onwards and upwards!

I like your stations!  :yes:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

There's nothing more depressing than a pair of abutments with nothing between them.

They speak of wasted opportunities...

Couldn't agree more, especially here in Norfolk where railway access is relatively scarce. 

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I like your stations!  :yes:

Thank you very much Hroth! I'm very pleased with how both of the two finished ones turned out too. 

• 4 weeks later...