Red's Unsound Buildings - Designing Kelsby

It isn't raining and it isn't cold so I decided to have a walk around the village to do some research.

post-33750-0-54637800-1522404051_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-77274200-1522404149_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-66328800-1522404206_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-20565600-1522404275_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-31703300-1522404304_thumb.jpg

Lots of clay lump, flint and thatch here in Great Ellingham, in terms of materials used to build houses. Also some of that slightly yellowish brick that Guy mentioned. Most of the brick that isn't covered though isn't yellowish, it's red. Most of the old houses here in Great Ellingham either have their bricks covered or painted over so I can't see, or are clay-lump.

post-33750-0-40972100-1522404400_thumb.jpg

Including my own home as seen above, which is one half of a now semi-detached and converted farmhouse from the 17th Century. The black shed (formerly a stable) is where the KLR layout itself will be housed once I clear all the rubbish out of it. Strange how I've lived here for years but never actually looked at what the village really looks like until now.

post-33750-0-19822100-1522404546_thumb.jpg

Great Ellingham church. Your usual flint square towered Norman jobby, very normal. Nice carved oak door though.

All this will be very useful down the road. Interesting that I've been posting on this thread more frequently recently than my Workbench. I've just not had a lot of loco stuff to be working on recently.

• Like 4

The use of red brick for decoration - lintels and string courses - in a yellow-brick building is quite common in small houses.  Here in Cambridgeshire, the yellow brick is more often left un-rendered and the red-on-yellow effect looks horrible. I'm glad to see that Norfolk has the good taste to render over the yellow brick.

That tower mill looks rather nice. It's very dark in the photo; is it hung with slates?

• Like 1

attachicon.gifEllingham Church.jpg

Great Ellingham church. Your usual flint square towered Norman jobby, very normal. Nice carved oak door though.

*cough* Not Norman, I suggest. Firstly, it's a bit big for a Norman church. Secondly, the decorated windows with the pointy arches are a later style. Norman churches generally had round-topped arches. The foundations might be Norman. (Taking "Norman" to refer to the 11th and early 12th centuries only, everything after being "English".) But a good, representative church for the region, no doubt.

The use of red brick for decoration - lintels and string courses - in a yellow-brick building is quite common in small houses.  Here in Cambridgeshire, the yellow brick is more often left un-rendered and the red-on-yellow effect looks horrible. I'm glad to see that Norfolk has the good taste to render over the yellow brick.

That tower mill looks rather nice. It's very dark in the photo; is it hung with slates?

Yeah. I've seen it on a few buildings and it is quite ugly.

And no, it's not. It's brick that just been rendered and painted in a rather drab charcoal colour. 

*cough* Not Norman, I suggest. Firstly, it's a bit big for a Norman church. Secondly, the decorated windows with the pointy arches are a later style. Norman churches generally had round-topped arches. The foundations might be Norman. (Taking "Norman" to refer to the 11th and early 12th centuries only, everything after being "English".) But a good, representative church for the region, no doubt.

I said "Norman" because it's what comes into my head when I think of square towers. It's actually Perpendicular but yes, it's a typical Norfolk church, even though I personally tend to think of round towers when it comes to my home county's churches.

• RMweb Gold

These old buildings in Banham are good subject matter

https://goo.gl/maps/LEcvimtRZM92

Quidendham round tower is also a good subject

https://goo.gl/maps/G5L17616Y9A2

and old Eccles (the village was abandoned and moved to a new location many years ago)

https://goo.gl/maps/ZJsRsxrpHSU2

• Like 2

These old buildings in Banham are good subject matter

https://goo.gl/maps/LEcvimtRZM92

Quidendham round tower is also a good subject

https://goo.gl/maps/G5L17616Y9A2

and old Eccles (the village was abandoned and moved to a new location many years ago)

https://goo.gl/maps/ZJsRsxrpHSU2

Thanks. I actually spend a lot of time in Banham (I have friends there as well as being a frequent visitor of Banham's weekly car boot sale) and I've seen Eccles once or twice. Never actually been to Quidenham to be honest, I'm usually more around the Attleborough and Watton areas rather than up Thetford end. Either way, that streetview of Banham is nice, plus if you turn the camera around you get an excellent view of the church.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. I actually spend a lot of time in Banham (I have friends there as well as being a frequent visitor of Banham's weekly car boot sale) and I've seen Eccles once or twice. Never actually been to Quidenham to be honest, I'm usually more around the Attleborough and Watton areas rather than up Thetford end. Either way, that streetview of Banham is nice, plus if you turn the camera around you get an excellent view of the church.

So you're one of the people who clog up my lanes for the Banham Boot then ... (Banham is my village) :nono: :mosking:

The platforms are painted. Decided on the more yellowy Cambridgeshire brick colour for the front brickwork. 

post-33750-0-80112500-1522664141_thumb.jpg

A bit of my usual undercoat, a splash of Vallejo Model Colour Brilliant White, a bit of Model Colour Brown Sand, and some Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade wash to make it look muddy and used, and bring out the details. I am thoroughly pleased with this result.

• Like 3

Kelsby signal box as it stands now:

post-33750-0-05343600-1522872288_thumb.jpg

Getting the base square was a pain. Not using the green base Ratio supplied as this will be standing in the middle of Kelsby yard surrounded by dirt and various such things for the most part. Also because I don't want to use the base anyway.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

Kelsby signal box continues to take shape. Building the box itself is done, not all it needs is painting and glazing.

attachicon.gifSignal box WIP 2.jpg

Nice job on the windows. I remember they could be a bit of a !!

I take it the microstrip, plastic offcuts and wire are coming out for the lever frame etc?

Don't forget to give your signalman, or woman a stove and a chair. I believe it can get a touch chilly in your part of the world!!

Chris.

Nice job on the windows. I remember they could be a bit of a ######!!

I take it the microstrip, plastic offcuts and wire are coming out for the lever frame etc?

Don't forget to give your signalman, or woman a stove and a chair. I believe it can get a touch chilly in your part of the world!!

Chris.

Yeah, they were.

And... um... I don't... have a lever frame...

Like I said, plasticard, microstrip, sprue and wire.

A decent photo of a lever frame.

Plasticard for the base , microstrip and wire for the levers, plasticard for the shelf for the block instruments and carved sprue for the instruments and token apparatus.

I know there are some great kits out there, but they are expensive!!

I made my first frame up out of bits. Drove me crazy and took me an age but, the great feeling when I did it.

I was 17 at the time, another time!!!!

Chris.

Like I said, plasticard, microstrip, sprue and wire.

A decent photo of a lever frame.

Plasticard for the base , microstrip and wire for the levers, plasticard for the shelf for the block instruments and carved sprue for the instruments and token apparatus.

I know there are some great kits out there, but they are expensive!!

I made my first frame up out of bits. Drove me crazy and took me an age but, the great feeling when I did it.

I was 17 at the time, another time!!!!

Chris.

...yeah, as said I have none of those things. 

Plus I'd already put it together by the time you posted the first one, Chris. Sorry. Mission failed.

post-33750-0-29716400-1523027404_thumb.jpg

I mean there's still some details to add like guttering and the hooks with buckets on at the front, as well as a wash coat and paint touch-ups, but that's the general gist. Also accidentally snapped off the rear roof ornament but it looks fine with just the front one anyway.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing job on the buildings.

I think that ex-Airfix station is an under-regarded model.  Your painting is very subtle and naturalistic.  Well done! 

Thanks. As usual, that praise means a lot coming from a man I see as a mentor. 

I was painting on a much smaller scale before doing this, having played Warhammer 40,000 for some time. (Is it OK if I put a picture up to demonstrate?) Therefore, I like to think I paint without really thinking about it, almost automatically as it were. 

Thanks. As usual, that praise means a lot coming from a man I see as a mentor. 

I think if you can paint a plastic kit of a building and it not look like a painted plastic kit, that's skill.  Things need to be subtler at scale, and your station could be made of wood or card because of the lovely soft tones you've achieved.

See Madder Valley

I was painting on a much smaller scale before doing this, having played Warhammer 40,000 for some time. (Is it OK if I put a picture up to demonstrate?)

Only if I can post this!

post-25673-0-75874500-1525001226_thumb.jpg

• Like 4