Red's Unsound Buildings - Designing Kelsby

And now on to Kelsby Station V2.

post-33750-0-13509400-1533975624_thumb.jpg

The V1 station will now be used for Hewe. Peco's Manyways kits are a freelancer's best friend when it comes to buildings. So as per the Jacob Bradleigh thread Kelsby station building is similar in look to Wretham and Hockham Station, only with the red carrstone construction of most of the other KLR buildings.

• Like 6

Kelsby Station V2, mostly painted. Photo taken just before I left for work this morning. It's currently drying atop the shelving unit I keep my model railway stuff on, well out of reach of the cats... there's also some of my Warhammer 40k stuff on there, hence the fact there's a Space Marine Predator tank sat next to it.

post-33750-0-81385500-1534145039_thumb.jpg

Still need to add some additional paint details, give it a wash coat and put in the glazing but overall looking very good so far if I do say so myself.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 11

Greatly under-rated, in my view, those Many Ways kits, and yours has turned out extremely well.

Thanks a bunch! And yes, the Peco Many Ways kits need more people using them. As I said, they're a freelancer's best friend when it comes to buildings. I'm really surprised so few people use them. They're old, simplistic and plain, sure, but they're absurdly versatile and easy to modify with bits from other kits or even other company's kits. They're really, REALLY underrated.

Behold! Kelsby station V2 complete! Well, I might add some posters but the building itself is done. Very pleased with how it's turned out.

attachicon.gifDSC_0105.JPG

Very, very nice!

I love the understated, day to day weathering. Something I'm still trying to perfect!!

Chris.

This shed... This Wills Craftsman shed has been the bane of my existence for the past week or so since I started it. I eventually had to get my mum to help me with it, embarrassingly enough because apparently I suck at Craftsman kits.

post-33750-0-90918000-1534860992_thumb.jpg

The result is too tall and thin, and the roof isn't long enough. But it's usable. It's now painted up in Hewe Dock Authority colours and there it shall be.

• Like 4

I suck at Craftsman kits.

In order to soften the plastic?

It looks fine.  As you've built it has a more industrial look, which is possibly ideal.  Where the masonry extend above the gable ends of the roof, I'd thicken it, adding coping stones, otherwise you're there.

KLR UPDATE TIME!

I purchased another few items off eBay that I liked and thought I could use on the layout proper.

DSC_0110.JPG

Ta da! Introducing the coal yard of Kelsby station! And a couple other bits!

In the same lot as that from my main KLR thread, I got this Auhagen kit.

post-33750-0-88816600-1534960018_thumb.jpg

German kit that I don't know if it's completely in scale or not. This will be interesting.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but that picture is setting off Health & Safety alarm bells!

Surprising for the Germans, they normally think of everything. As for me, I'm part Irish so I don't care :P

post-33750-0-49879000-1536318741_thumb.jpg

I actually finished it some six or seven days ago. I just forgot to talk about it due to being busy. Perfect for the Docks.

Also, some other new stuff for the layout, all for Kelsby this time.

post-33750-0-71398300-1536318969_thumb.jpg

One Knightwing engine shed, one Dapol engine shed, and some signals and a yard office by Ratio. Just need the other two engine sheds and some minor odds and ends now.

Also to remember how signalling works as I have no idea what they all mean or what goes where and so forth.

• Like 6

(Another cross post)

From the 16th to the 23rd of this month I'll be away as I'll be back in Corfu again, so I'll be going pretty much radio silent for that time. Just thought I'd let you know.

Also apologies for things being a bit quiet on these threads recently. I've been quite busy with the main layout and with just general life stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I return again!

So, I have a quick question. I'm still looking to populate Kelsby yard with its last few buildings. I wish for some recommendations.

One kit for a ramshackle wooden engine shed for Peter.

Another for an engine shed big enough for an LNER K3 for Edward Bradleigh I.

A kit for a village pub.

• Like 1

Cor, Corfu, eh? Thought of looking at Continental cardboard type goings on?https://www.makamo-modellbogen.com/kartonmodelle/lokschuppen-jöhstadt/

Hmm... I certainly will.

Also, the last of the engine sheds (Peter's) arrived today. I love the smell of laser cut wood in the morning.post-33750-0-87390500-1538227571_thumb.jpg

Also the pub is finished and in place and Kelsby station platform is now complete. Forgot to mention that. Will put up photos when I get a moment.

• Like 4