Long Marton, S&C

peach james

So, I now have Ark Royal hammering out at about 90 MPH on the 2130 sleeper- GUV, BG, BSK, SK, SK, SK, SLEP, SLEP, CK, BG.  Now no longer uncoupling each lap, and not derailing each lap either.  I ended up shimming in places by 80 thou.  (mind, some of the track has been down for 6 years or so...)  Given that I hadn't run trains for 8 months, then it doesn't shock me that some places the track has moved substantially.  The other bit that I needed to change I've known about since I finished it ~2 years ago.  Changed heights about 40 thou or so there.  Next step: work on UP mainline. I will see about cleaning track tonight, and then see what happens.  I think I will just run the train around the triangle...

James

Edited by peach james

• 1 month later...

So, I gave up.  I pulled up about 10 ft of track, to relay it.  It was rough enough that frequent derailments and uncouplings meant that it was time for a change...

New plywood is installed (3/4"/19mm), and some of the track is relayed.  I have a couple new turnouts on order from Hattons, and when they get here, I will be able to reconnect the circuit.  I may lay in a temporary bit of straight for now...not sure on that.  There is rewiring to be done as well, so...

James

• 2 weeks later...

Some track back in- enough to test run through.  I'm still awaiting the arrival of a package from Liverpool, but the track slapped down allows one circuit to run.  After that, a quick reprogram should allow for auto again.  Then, testing...testing.

James

• Like 1

The 6P's and 7P's are OK with 10 on, the 5MT was not. I'm not sure how the Jubilee will do.  Current train is a extra long goods train with the 50 on the front- strictly for test purposes.  That will be tomorrow's play- it's about 75 wagons long, and the wheels on the 50 were dirty, so the 50 got lifted off for a wheel cleaning session, when the battery in the dremel went dead...of course !, so wheel cleaning has to wait.  I've got the holes drilled for the next torti to go back on, screws for it are outside & it is late here.  So, the layout sits abandoned for the night.

James

So, my esteemed 8 year old wagon counter told me that I had 63 wagons and a caboose (don't worry, being a RCD owner, I corrected him to brake van) on behind Ark Royal.  The 8F that replaced it only has 46 16 tonners on...it's still longer than my sidings.  That's on the Down side...on the Up side, I have my pair of Jason Shron's favorite Bo-Co's (sitting Bo-Co-Co-Bo, which is how the "favored" arrangement was...fans on the insides) on the Condor.  Next is the missing pair of torti, then the little remapping of sections that I know is needed.

Wheel cleaning has been undertaken as well.  Next is making realistic like goods trains out of all the wagons.  I did remove the FNA's and the very few PO wagons that were hanging around.  The passenger trains are already made up, they still need engines adding and testing though.

James

4th train ran around last night- that's 0566 with ~30 16 tonners.  No photos- my camera is currently at a friend of mine's house slowly on the way home.  I need to take a photo or two of some other (older) photos for another web site (chaski's home shop machinist), as well as photos of the trains.  I don't know if I will get to run anything tonight, as I have a meeting (community Association).

James

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so...

The track was rebuilt in the furnace room, and it has greatly improved running performance.  BRMoV were here on the 23rd of March, and Long Marton ran OK in manual mode.  I didn't try any auto. 

We had a visitor, in the form of Mike from Toronto, who brought his presentation on his home layout, Lostock Junction.  It's a fairly good presentation on how he operates the layout, with 11 operators required for a full session.

Since then, both my dishwasher and washing machine have packed it in...so I have limited time until those are replaced.

James

• 2 weeks later...

So:  Dishwasher replaced, check.  Washing Machine Replaced, check, trip to Ontario booked, check, large lego order placed, check.  Free trip to Hawaii and a slow boat ride back booked (May 7- June 13) Check. 

And Long Marton is currently sitting with a DMU trying to go back to the staging yard right now.  Now that I know what state it is in, I can go pass it through.  (apparently, my empty storage yard line needs some work...).  It took a while to figure out why some things were happening the way they were.  it's almost a year since I ran under computer control.

Also, RR&Co 5.0C apparently doesn't work right on Win 7, because I can't transfer files from this laptop to downstairs.  Boo.  Now I have to do all the editing on an older computer. 

Bacon butties for lunch, that's next on the schedule.

James

• 1 month later...

Replacement DS64 is here, along with some NR14 decoders, and a UR90, finally moving into the IR one way remote control business for Digitrax.  (I should just bite the bullet and go to 2 way radio, but I am so far not in the position where I "have" to do so)

Today is a beautiful day out here, so a couple of hours of jungle taming have been in order.  We got back yesterday from :  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hmcs-protecteur-towed-into-home-port-in-esquimalt-b-c-1.2660753  Op Towex 14, and the growth around here has been astounding.  I have more mowing to do today, along with more weedwacking   (rotary weed cutter using line= weed wacker, somewhat OK on things as big as 1/4" salmonberry plants...I also have a blade for it, which will work on bigger stuff...)

Perhaps tonight I will get to working on LM.  There is still lego reconstruction from the trip, as I bought the Parisian Café, Simpsons house and Metalbeard's Sea Cow.  (and a 16 day boat trip to build them in).

James

So, I got the DOG programmed.  Oh, wait, that's DoG.  And the DS 64 installed and programmed (which is more work than the install on DoG ).  The next thing on my Long Marton list right now is "Test program".  Which I will do, but not before the weekend.  I have a meeting tomorrow, and fire practice on Thurs, and probably cementing posts on Friday...so, perhaps Friday PM for trains. 

I did clear some of the outside right of way.  But, that's probably as far as I will get with it for a little bit anyway.

James

• 3 weeks later...

We had a club meeting (again, I'll flog it- British Railway Modelers of Victoria (BC) ), and I have been working on the club layout, getting a small amount of electrical gremlins dealt with.   Note:  do NOT put the choco-blocks facing UP under scenery.  It makes adjustment hard.  I've gotten 2 of the 3 track switches connected to slide switches for electric power supply to frogs, one more to finish tonight, then the sections go off to another member for more scenic work.  The electrics work, so I hope that the other club members will not fiddle with them and make them not work.  (someone did that last year...it was a tad bit frustrating to have to go fix someone elses bright idea at the show...especially since the work required was "put switch in right place", and it got done as "undo wiring...")

James

• 1 month later...

So, in the last month, we (all 4 of us) went off to Ontario for vacation, to see Dad & Step Mum, then on to see Mum and Sister.  They only live about 1800 km apart, by road.  So yes, a little further than ALL of the UK, in one province.

I collected the little steam wagon from dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7qok5d27U

and have been building a new trailer for it, as well as converting it to propane from coal.  It's intended for Daniel to have.  There's still some welding needed on the trailer, plus woodwork and propane and water...so it's ALMOST 1/2 done :)

In rather sadder news, our dog had to be euthanized on Monday, he'd gotten to the point where he couldn't walk on his own.  He was 13 years old, lab x. 

We (the boys and I) ran Long Marton last night briefely, just in hand.  I had the 28's and a 9F, and the boys had the 153.  Next is to try the other way, and then move on to trying in auto again.  The club layout bits are still sitting at my house, and need to move on too...the show's in a month.

James

• 1 month later...

So, Andrew (Bodge) in his fit of selling off stock to pay for the new potting shed for Bittern, sold me a 4F

14947188078_18bd95a174_m.jpgDSC_0253 by Peach James, on Flickr

(there are a couple of others there).  The Garratt arrived as well, but is currently boxed up after fitting with DCC.  It will be going to the train show in case someone wants to see it run (or I need something for shifting the 40 minerals)- otherwise, it will get given to my wife for her to give back to me for my birthday.

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just checked Britain from Above, thanks to Jock 67B, and there are no new images of Long Marton :(

Ah well...

The Garratt has been running in, with a decent goods train on the back.  Last night we ran the BOCO's as well, and made a bit of smoke.  There's a lego loco (4551) in pieces being fitted for a new decoder arrangement sitting on Long Marton as well.  I have to get on with some programming of other stuff for Lego in addition...

James

• 1 month later...

I figure I will post this here, rather than in the general S&C thread.

15983739168_c142cdbca2.jpgDSC_0021 by Peach James, on Flickr

Andrew Sharp has a photo of Mallard in about the same place (well, about 20' closer to London...), which he had posted.  Just a quickie look alike from me.  This photo is taken on Long Marton, with the camera right beside the lego spiral.  (I thought, originally, that the photo would have to be taken through the spiral, but it turns out that the location Andrew was using in real terms, is beside the spiral, or at least I'd guess it was)

Proof that Long Marton still lives, even if I haven't run any trains over the Christmas break.  Next I am off to scan some original BR documents, I will post them in the most appropriate location I can find once they are scanned.  (they are very curly, as they were stored rolled up)

James

• Like 2

I'll try again tomorrow- I've been running 60020 through on a proper train tonight, but the photos of the Bachmann A4 show it up quite badly, as the trailing truck wires show up & other sins.  In terms of distance, the camera is set up at about 57" from the 2nd pillar, so about 350 ft in scale distance.  The photo I took of the setup was crummy- I have my FX-D on the tripod to show that yes, that's where the photos are from, but I managed to get it out of focus.  I find it easier to use the older style of SLR to manually focus, that or take lots of photos.  It's kind of hard to take "lots" when the only memory card I can find is a 256 MB one !

Hi James, sorry I missed Septembers post with the 4F, I'm glad to see things are still running on LM and the pic of the A4 will be stunning once you have some scenic around it.

Good Stuff and a Happy New Year to you all over there rom me over here.

He means...GRASS !  Or at least, that's how I'd take it.  I'm going to try and get some other photos in a little bit- we will see what turns out and what doesn't.  I've got all day, well, other than having to get dinner ready at some point & feeding two starving boys.  (they're boys...they're always starving...or full...then it's like Chinese food- 30 minutes later, they're starving again...). 

Strangely enough, I have some trees planted at the other end, mostly to have somewhere to plant the trees.  I know that the area under Trout Beck (the viaduct) was treed, that much is clear from the 1912 photo as well as more recent ones (like the 1980's one, and mine)

• 2 months later...

Oh my goodness, the amount of stuff crap that I have accumulated is staggering.  I bought a set of shelves from Target (think Wal-Mart, but a little better) during their bankruptcy sale here in Canada.  It's heavy duty commercial stuff, so rather stouter than the normal run of the mill stuff I had in the sea containers out back.  This was to allow me to move stuff around in the sea cans, so that I get (at the end of all of this) some more room in the house.  I've so far moved about 5 boxes of stuff out of the house, and everything that was in the sea cans has moved at least 2 times.

The only good thing is that I have managed to get enough of the lego put away from the last set of shows to be able to put up 4 tables for the mock up layout of the train show, in order to ensure that the RR&Co program will work beforehand.  In a first for me, I have decided NOT to leave it to the last second and chance !

No real progress on Long Marton since Christmas time.  The large lego bridge is currently sitting on it, and 3 of the DB150's are currently removed.  The only thing of any neatness is that I have a "funny", in the form of a LRC engine from Rapido coupled onto one of the trains of Mk 1 coaches.  The LRC needs running in, before I use it for train haulage, but it will be a "funny".  The good news is that because it is a HO model of a small train, it all fits in the OO loading gauge.

James

James

So, the lego has been taken apart (the above, not the main lego !), and the bits borrowed from LM have been returned.  All in order to run my new LRC around...pulling a train of Mk 1's, because that's about all I have.  I think I have one boxcar, and some unopened Tri-ang North American stock, but I don't have much NA stuff at all.  There are coaches on order to go with the LRC, but they haven't been made yet  Anyway, it sounds quite nice running around Long Marton.  I'm not going to order the APT though, because it is not something that I need.  By the time they come out, I am going to be down to counting days of employment, and I don't need large model purchases hovering over my head at that point.

Next step is continued work on the Arduino's that are going to be used for lighting controllers on the Lego.  I may get some train running done while I play though.

James