Did Ian Allan ever do an LNWR Album?

Martync

I know Ian Allan did several LMS Albums, and albums for many other pre-group companies, but was there ever an "LNWR Album"??  I've trawled the various second hand booksellers, and can't find anything.

Any assistance gratefully received

• RMweb Premium

I've got the LNWR Miscellany books, published by OPC, and they have a wide variety of images from all over the LNWR. Theres two volumes, but I can't quite remember the authers name, is it Twells?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I've got the LNWR Miscellany books, published by OPC, and they have a wide variety of images from all over the LNWR. Theres two volumes, but I can't quite remember the authers name, is it Twells?

Andy G

LNWR Miscellany, OPC 1978

LNWR Miscellany Volume Two, OPC 1980

Edward Talbot

The Premier Line is by no means my first love, but I found these two in the Oxfam shop a few weeks ago and couldn't resist them. I was particularly intrigued by the pictures of the surprisingly many Webb compounds that were sold to foreign railways - e.g. the Austrian State Railway, and the Pennsylvania Railroad. I don't get the impression there were any repeat orders, though.

• Like 1

There is a North Western Album, compiled by C.C.Dorman and published by Ian Allan in 1965 for the princely sum (in those days) of thirty shillings. It is landscape format and, as far as I can see in a quick brouse, contains only two post group photos, covering the last thirty years of the LNWR. 94 pages at one photo per page. It was published before the invention of ISBNs.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• RMweb Gold

There is also "LNWR: Pre-Grouping Railway Scene No3", edited by Ossie Nock and published by Ian Allan in 1980 (isbn: 0711009694). Not quite a photo album, but in the same sized format. Half a dozen shortish essays with plenty of black and white photos. Not as good, in my opinion, as the OPC Miscellanies.

• RMweb Premium

I know Ian Allan did several LMS Albums, and albums for many other pre-group companies, but was there ever an "LNWR Album"??  I've trawled the various second hand booksellers, and can't find anything.

Any assistance gratefully received

Not as such a title. Those OPC books as others have pointed to while aren't Ian Allan books, but Ian Allan took over the OPC label, some time back.

What are your interests in the LNWR, as I'm sure some excellent books can be listed, if you can provide more information?

Initially my interest was in the North London Railway, leading to a plan for a small shunting plank, which needed motive power, and lead to the purchase of a Bachman Coal Tank (as - surprise, surprise - there are no RTR NLR locos!!). 

I've always had a passing interest in the LNWR however, more to do with its presence in the south of England......Oxford to Cambridge, Banbury Branch, etc

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, GEM loco kits were very much to the fore, and they offered a wide range of LNWR locomotives......many of which I thought always looked very "Victorian" as their tall chimneys reminded me of mid 19th century top hats!!

• Like 3

LNWR?

Good choice. I expect you've had a look here? 

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/

I'm not saying join the society (unless you want to), but there is loads of information as well as a forum. You have to be a member to post, but it's free to browse. The info on things like locos and rolling stock is particularly useful.

Jason

• 2 months later...

I was particularly intrigued by the pictures of the surprisingly many Webb compounds that were sold to foreign railways - e.g. the Austrian State Railway, and the Pennsylvania Railroad. I don't get the impression there were any repeat orders, though.

The LNWR we "banned" from manufacturing locomotives for sale in the UK in competition with the independent manufacturers. The compound locos sold abroad were, IIRC, sold as "Webb Patent Design", presumably to get around that.