Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

We have approved the livery artwork for the Minerva 0 Gauge RTR Manning Wardle K 0-6-0ST. The drawings are attached. Please note that the shades on the blue and black drawings are much lighter than the actual colours on the finished models. The shade of blue is Prussian Blue Pantone 648c as shown in the attached colour patch. Don't forget that the advance order discount of £25 expires at the end of 30th September 2018. Details are here: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/how-to-order/

Regards,

Chris K

post-13142-0-63980000-1536093049_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-41950200-1536093065_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-04035000-1536093080_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-88837200-1536093090_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02613500-1536093103_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-88647800-1536093115_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-55815700-1536093129.png

• Like 4

I ordered a blue one on Sunday. It looks a dead ringer for 'Sharpthorne'. Prussian blue is excellent.

Dava

Sadly, SHARPETHORNE was looking very forlorn when I visited Horsted Keynes in July last year to photograph her for this project. I was told there was very little prospect of her being restored to active service. 

Regards,

Chris

PS The buffers on the Minerva model are self-contained plug-in units that can be easily be removed for replacement with dumb buffers. 

post-13142-0-32342800-1536129217_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Its unsuitable for the trains the bluebell runs nowadays but it could be a volunteer project if funds are available. I think its unique for a railway to have a contractors loco used to build the line so in the respect it shouldn't leave. (They also have the loco used to dismantle the section north of horsted after the contractors loco failed they hired a bluebell engine to do the job)

• RMweb Premium

Its unsuitable for the trains the bluebell runs nowadays but it could be a volunteer project if funds are available. I think its unique for a railway to have a contractors loco used to build the line so in the respect it shouldn't leave. (They also have the loco used to dismantle the section north of horsted after the contractors loco failed they hired a bluebell engine to do the job)

Strangely enough that loco is a Ruston 48DS ALSO in a near derelict state.

The other surviving K class MW locks are either restored in Aldwyth's case or under restoration by the VCT and Middleton Railway. Maybe the model could trigger a static restoration appeal for Sharpthorne?

Dava

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a short preview of the Manning Wardle K Class sound project in the EP model.

This clip shows the Normal setting (Alternative is Work-Worn, selcted with CV265 = 3) and without the sound of wagons buffering automatically dpending upon how you drive. (This is an option on F18).

Flange sounds can also be heard. These automatically cease playing when loco stops, and change automatically with speed. Flange sounds can be switched off with F9.

I'll post some other clips when I have a minute of two.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 6

Here's a short preview of the Manning Wardle K Class sound project in the EP model.

This clip shows the Normal setting (Alternative is Work-Worn, selcted with CV265 = 3) and without the sound of wagons buffering automatically dpending upon how you drive. (This is an option on F18).

Flange sounds can also be heard. These automatically cease playing when loco stops, and change automatically with speed. Flange sounds can be switched off with F9.

I'll post some other clips when I have a minute of two.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul

The MW is sounding (and looking) great. I ordered a blue one with sound at Telford.

All my Ixion/Minerva industrials have DCC sound including the delightful Ixion Manning Wardle H class to which you added sound (and headlight and smoke!) for me back in 2014.

Linking the buffer clanking and flange sounds to the start/stop and speed of the loco is a great addition and very welcome. For somebody like me who is all 'fingers and thumbs', pressing the right F key to stop the buffers/flange sound at the same time as stopping the loco can be quite challenging!

By the way, can the same facility be added to the sleeper creak function?

Looking forward to seeing more clips.

Best regards

Stephen

Paul

The MW is sounding (and looking) great. I ordered a blue one with sound at Telford.

All my Ixion/Minerva industrials have DCC sound including the delightful Ixion Manning Wardle H class to which you added sound (and headlight and smoke!) for me back in 2014.

Linking the buffer clanking and flange sounds to the start/stop and speed of the loco is a great addition and very welcome. For somebody like me who is all 'fingers and thumbs', pressing the right F key to stop the buffers/flange sound at the same time as stopping the loco can be quite challenging!

By the way, can the same facility be added to the sleeper creak function?

Looking forward to seeing more clips.

Best regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

Yes, I remember your MW. Lovely model but tight spaces for sound fitting.

I'm still in the process of finalising some elements of the sound project, but all the new 'automatic' features will also be manually controlled by their own dedicated F key. That is, the F key will only enable a feature; the sound will then play according to speed, braking, how the model is driven and whether Heavy mode or Light Engine. (eg. even if enabled, the wagon buffering sound will not play if Light Engine mode has been selected - 'cause there aren't any wagons on the hook!).

The good news is that any ZIMO sound decoder with any sound project I have created (that includes all Ixion and Minerva 0 gauge sound fitted models) can be updated to include these new features.

Best regards,

Paul

Here's another sneak preview, this time with auto wagon buffering sounds.

If automatic wagon buffering is enabled (F18) gentle increases or reductions in speed have no effect, but more significant changes of speed step requests will  produce a buffering sound. This can be induced from standing or during travel.

When the model stops. There is a final, different, buffering sound. Does not play in standing or if Light Engine mode is also engaged (or it is turned off with F 18).

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Martin. I don't see the point in buying a K class without DCC sound if you might want it in the future as its best factory-fitted and probably near-impossible to retro-fit.

As an analogue man I find this DCC stuff damned awkward and highly frustrating to try and set up, but most others seem to take to it quite easily, so I guess it's my limitations.

Dava

I agree with Martin. I don't see the point in buying a K class without DCC sound if you might want it in the future as its best factory-fitted and probably near-impossible to retro-fit.

As an analogue man I find this DCC stuff damned awkward and highly frustrating to try and set up, but most others seem to take to it quite easily, so I guess it's my limitations.

Dava

Dava,

You make a very good point.

The size of this model means that space is very tight. Only by planning for it at the outset, choosing the correct components and designing the model to accept them has made sound fitting possible.

As with all Minerva models, the sound will work on analogue too, including the brake sound when stopping and randomly generated sounds like injector and blower. Any of the new features illustrated can be set up to operate on DC, though switching them on or off is much more convenient on DCC.

Best regards,

Paul

Here's another sneak preview, this time with auto wagon buffering sounds.

If automatic wagon buffering is enabled (F18) gentle increases or reductions in speed have no effect, but more significant changes of speed step requests will  produce a buffering sound. This can be induced from standing or during travel.

When the model stops. There is a final, different, buffering sound. Does not play in standing or if Light Engine mode is also engaged (or it is turned off with F 18).

Best regards,

Paul

Paul,

really impressing sound innovations !!! Looking forward to mine even more now!

Regards

Bernd

Edited by Franzburg

IMPORTANT NEWS

The Minerva Manning Wardle advance order discount is scheduled to expire at the end of Sunday 30th September 2018. However, as it is a Sunday we may not be able to take orders by telephone so we will honour orders placed until the end of play on Monday 1st October 2018.

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/how-to-order/

post-13142-0-43939900-1538238332_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-99741600-1538238341_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77686800-1538238351_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here are some ModelU loco crew figures painted for me by Claudia Everett and fitted to the EP of the Minerva RTR 0 Gauge Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST. Her work is first class and has saved me a lot of time.

Arrival of the decorated samples of the Manning Wardle is imminent. There has been a short delay because we have had to design and test a new pcb DC blanking plate in order to accommodate DCC equipment in this very small model. We will take and post photos as soon as they arrive.

Regards,

Chris K

post-13142-0-42887500-1541962410_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-32412200-1541962421_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-35673900-1541962434_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67656800-1541962453_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Very tasty indeed, Chris.

Are we anticipating delivery in 2018 or early 2019 now?

Dava

Dava,

We have been saying delivery around the end of the year, but the new parts have taken longer than we had hoped to design and test. It is essential that they are of the right quality, a matter that we take very seriously at Minerva. So, it will be early next year and we are targeting delivery for the Bristol show at the end of January. Annoying, but not as bad as one model that was announced by another outfit in November 2012 at Warley and was only delivered this year.

Regards,

Chris K

• RMweb Premium

Dava,

We have been saying delivery around the end of the year, but the new parts have taken longer than we had hoped to design and test. It is essential that they are of the right quality, a matter that we take very seriously at Minerva. So, it will be early next year and we are targeting delivery for the Bristol show at the end of January. Annoying, but not as bad as one model that was announced by another outfit in November 2012 at Warley and was only delivered this year.

Regards,

Chris K

Thanks for the update Chris. It's helpful to know, especially around the festive season. I don't think anyone is going to cavil about it being a month or so later to get the design & quality right. I was thinking it might be available for a little event the day before the Bristol show, but probably not.

It seems a long time now since we were similarly awaiting the Ixion Hudswell Clarke which kicked off the whole affordable small quality RTR Gauge 0 loco industry!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Chris. It's helpful to know, especially around the festive season. I don't think anyone is going to cavil about it being a month or so later to get the design & quality right. I was thinking it might be available for a little event the day before the Bristol show, but probably not.

It seems a long time now since we were similarly awaiting the Ixion Hudswell Clarke which kicked off the whole affordable small quality RTR Gauge 0 loco industry!

Indeed Dava. I invoiced the first Ixion Hudswell Clarkes on 8th August 2012. A lot of Ixion and Minerva locos and wagons have passed under the bridge since then. 

Chris

We have just received the first factory photos of the lined black decorated sample Minerva 0 Gauge RTR Manning Wardle K 0-6-0ST locomotive. Please note that the buffers and coupling rods will be blackened on the production models. We are very pleased with quality of the finish from what we can see in the photos. The factory is assembling the lined dark blue and dark crimson versions. We hope to post photos of the part-finished superstructures shortly.

Prices are now confirmed as: DC Ready £255, DCC Fitted £310, DCC and sound fitted £380. Carriage is £9 per loco. Delivery is targeted for early 2019.

www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk

post-13142-0-70107600-1542287433_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-24846500-1542287444_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-83066800-1542287458_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-73898600-1542287471_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28588800-1542287483_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-07133000-1542287498_thumb.jpg

• Like 12