Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Number 2 - Blimey, I didn't realise how small that loco actually is, until your photos of it next to a 4-wheel wagon!!! :read: :swoon:

I agree, it really is diminutive. Great for minimum space and micro layouts mind! :good_mini:

Chris - on the subject of collecting your products from shows, are Minerva attending any exhibitions or events over coming months as a trader? 

Many thanks,

David 

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Two points -

Number 1 - you won't be for long!! :declare::no: :mosking:

Number 2 - Blimey, I didn't realise how small that loco actually is, until your photos of it next to a 4-wheel wagon!!! :read: :swoon:

Here is the engineering prototype Minerva Manning Wardle next to a Bachmann 00 GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT. 

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I agree, it really is diminutive. Great for minimum space and micro layouts mind! :good_mini:

Chris - on the subject of collecting your products from shows, are Minerva attending any exhibitions or events over coming months as a trader? 

Many thanks,

David 

David,

Minerva will be at the following shows in the near future: NEWGOG Newport Gwent 6 April, ALSRM Show Reading 11 May, Railex Aylsebury 25-26 May, GOG Summer Show Doncaster 1 June. 

Regards,

Chris 

MW EP1 and Pannier 00.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Two points -

Number 1 - you won't be for long!! :declare::no: :mosking:

You're not wrong! I think the fact that I've already got a couple of 7mm wagons and I spent far too long looking at the Carl Arendt web site for inglenook layouts spells doom!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Here is the engineering prototype Minerva Manning Wardle next to a Bachmann 00 GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT. 

David,

Minerva will be at the following shows in the near future: NEWGOG Newport Gwent 6 April, ALSRM Show Reading 11 May, Railex Aylsebury 25-26 May, GOG Summer Show Doncaster 1 June. 

Regards,

Chris 

That photo definitely puts things in perspective!! :derisive:

Thanks very much for the details of the shows you are attending Chris, that's very useful for making future plans. I will try to plan a trip to Doncaster with the rest being in the deep south.....!

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ullypug said:

You're not wrong! I think the fact that I've already got a couple of 7mm wagons and I spent far too long looking at the Carl Arendt web site for inglenook layouts spells doom!!

You know it makes sense... resistance is futile! :laugh_mini: Once you start playing with the big bits toys you will never go back to 4mm scale!! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Regards,

Chris 

I'd like to see it next to a Minerva O Scale Pannier Tank!! ;)

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Your wish is my command. 

Well in that case... :spiteful:

One of these, next, please,1:48th Scale... ;) :good:

ada3b3d33db99f3916b823532e615088.jpg.3e091565a806adb929fbcaddaf2112a4.jpg

EMD CF7.

:jester:

anyway, thanks for the Pannier picture - I can visualise the size of the Manning Wardle better now!!

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Julesp4 said:

I've mine now too - very well packed and the cost of postage was actually more than that charged when ordering. Well worth the wait!

The carriage charge of £9 includes VAT of £1.50. Add the cost of bubble wrap, wrapping paper and tape and we are actually losing money.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

In an earlier post Chris mentions the 'special' deal available for nameplates from Narrow Planet (see the Minerva pamphlet enclosed with your loco) but can anybody advise which style / size of nameplates best authentically suit this small loco, please ?

The reason that I ask is that I normally use "OO" gauge nameplates for my Industrial 7mm locos which look fine on the Ixion Hudswell Clarkes, etc, but when I offered up a "OO" A4 "Peregrine" nameplate to my MW yesterday but it looked ridiculously large, particularly when compared with a photo of Sharpthorn as printed in a recent magazine. I have some 3mm scale nameplates which are better but still don't look right.

I am guessing that the Industrial, Isaac or Dudley style of nameplates from the range would probably suit but in what scale would it be best to order them ? I'm thinking of a similar length of name to Peregrine. Afraid I haven't used Narrow Planet plates before.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Hello,

In an earlier post Chris mentions the 'special' deal available for nameplates from Narrow Planet (see the Minerva pamphlet enclosed with your loco) but can anybody advise which style / size of nameplates best authentically suit this small loco, please ?

The reason that I ask is that I normally use "OO" gauge nameplates for my Industrial 7mm locos which look fine on the Ixion Hudswell Clarkes, etc, but when I offered up a "OO" A4 "Peregrine" nameplate to my MW yesterday but it looked ridiculously large, particularly when compared with a photo of Sharpthorn as printed in a recent magazine. I have some 3mm scale nameplates which are better but still don't look right.

I am guessing that the Industrial, Isaac or Dudley style of nameplates from the range would probably suit but in what scale would it be best to order them ? I'm thinking of a similar length of name to Peregrine. Afraid I haven't used Narrow Planet plates before.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian, 

Narrow Planet do a Manning Wardle style nameplate - NPP-116: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/custom-etched-products/products/npp-116?variant=41641010381 

From their FAQ page it suggests ordering nameplates 3mm high for 7mm scale industrials: https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/pages/faqs 

Mine arrived today - what a little beauty! 

Dunnerdale.jpg.c338613de607ac8c2a86cc63901589ce.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Nameplates for industrial locos are typically in the range of 5" - 8" high prototype size - of course there are always exceptions. We do send artwork for approval before production of custom plates, with an indication of the dimensions, and adjustments can be made if necessary.

Stephen (Narrow Planet)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

DCC Sound versions apparently don't go out until next week, and it may take up to 3 weeks to complete the orders placed, so some of us may have a while to wait yet, so I was told. Ah well...

Dava

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the information regarding the nameplates, I'd managed to miss the npp-116 MW reference, I'll study some more photos in the MW book from Pen & Sword before deciding.

Cheers,

Ian.

Having seen them at Kettering, I think I'm about to commit a fine-scale purchase .......

Does anyone know for certain what colour either 'Huddersfield' or 'Earl Temple' of the Oxford & Aylesbury (=Brill) Tramway were painted? Mr Simpson suggests dark green for 'Earl Temple' in his book, but isn't definitive on the point.

Clearly, this won't really work on my coarse-scale train-set, so ideas about a terminus at Oxford St Clement's, as discussed here 

are under close consideration.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

"Does anyone know for certain what colour either 'Huddersfield' or 'Earl Temple' of the Oxford & Aylesbury (=Brill) Tramway were painted? Mr Simpson suggests dark green for 'Earl Temple' in his book, but isn't definitive on the point.

The Manning Wardle records say Earl Temple was supplied in Midland Railway red livery.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

Many thanks Mr Cheeseplant,

Given that it had a "full" cab, and as I understand things the current offering with such a roof is black, then maybe I had better have a blue one, with "part" cab, which looks like 'Huddersfield', which might have been any colour by the time it got to Buckinghamshire!

Kevin

PS: Hold on! I've just realised that (a) one gets all the cabs, and (b) you're interested in exactly the same loco, but under its later name.

Edited by Nearholmer

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Many thanks Mr Cheeseplant,

Given that it had a "full" cab, and as I understand things the current offering with such a roof is black, then maybe I had better have a blue one, with "part" cab, which looks like 'Huddersfield', which might have been any colour by the time it got to Buckinghamshire!

Kevin

PS: Hold on! I've just realised that (a) one gets all the cabs, and (b) you're interested in exactly the same loco, but under its later name.

The all-over roof is painted the same on top as the main body colour, so  blue is blue, red is red and, to quote the Belle Epoque song from 1977, black is black. 

Chris K

• Like 2

Now that is interesting, because the song only mentions black and blue but no red - although it does mention a grey one......

Black is black, I want my baby back
It's grey, it's grey, since she went away, oh oh
What can I do, 'cause I, I'm feelin' blue

If I had my way, she'd be here today
But she'd go in time, and leave me to cry again, oh no

I can't choose, it's too much to lose when our love's too strong
Maybe if she would come back to me, then I can't go wrong

Bad is bad, that I feel so sad
It's time, it's time, that I felt peace of mind, oh oh

Oh hang on I get it - she went away for repair and therefore must now be in grey primer awaiting customer's final painting instructions.

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

I will check my details and see if Huddersfield had a livery specified for it, both Earl Temple later Brill no.1 and Wootton No 2 were to be supplied in Midland red livery, I think unless specified by the customer the locos were supplied in Manning Warldle house colour which I will have to check but I don’t think it was red.

• Informative/Useful 1

I'm fairly certain that MW standard livery was green, but, a third-hand loco might have had a repaint or two.

Chris K,

I think we are at cross-purposes. I originally thought that your locos came: red=spectacles; blue=half-cab; black=full-cab. 

I now understand that all three liveries come with all three options 'in the pack' ..... that is correct, isn't it?

Kevin

• Informative/Useful 1