Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling, most of these models will move away from their original factory condition nearly as swiftly as their prototypes :-)

On my model purchased from Minerva in August 2021 the full cab was simply clipped into place above the backhead, no glue. So removal was particularly straightforward. I wanted to transfer the glazing from the cab, the glue on the glazing softens with white spirit as described for other parts but it is important to keep the white spirit off the faces of the glazing. At least you get four pieces and you only need two.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
Lost photograph
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

In my advancing years, I now celebrate my birthday in terms of diesel Loco TOPS codes. This year is my ‘Western Class’ year and my present was a Manning Wardle from Minerva.

This is a little gem, and was delivered in good time as a gift from my wife (with a couple of wooden Minks).

50CAD595-55A1-4E21-9E4F-9ADF86AF6C31.jpeg.64bfb7a44a913284e0ed20bd4e741661.jpeg

I went for DCC ready and, with a GM next18 decoder in hand, unscrewed the three fixings holding the body to the chassis.

The body loosened but then wedged tight, requiring significant force to release it.  I had to very carefully lever the chassis from the underside of the running plate at either end. The soft handle of my trusty long-nosed pliers was ideal for this.

The tight spot appears to have been caused by the two pipes passing through the footplate which run from above around the tank and underside of the boiler (these can be seen above).  When I got the body off, these could be seen to be slightly squashed with witness marks on the chassis casting (to the underside of the boiler).  Thankfully, the only damage caused by this extraction was the reversing rod, which had become unglued from the side of the footplate opening (there is a recess for this attachment such that this is clear of the chassis block) - this was simply re-glued.

The decoder was a simple fit, however in refitting the body shell it was clearly going to again be a tight squeeze, with risk of breaking the pipes as the chassis fitted through the hole in the body running plate.

I considered cropping the pipes clear of the hole, however first tried filing the pipes flatter, such that some clearance would be gained.  This proved successful, and with a satisfying pop, the body was re-fitted and no further damage occurred.

As others have noted, this model runs beautifully, and was great with default decoder settings. I now have to search out my stash of nameplate castings from Hudswell and Victory to see if there is a suitable candidate for this model…

No doubt this is a great model, and whilst my life would have made been easier if I had clicked on the Dcc fitted or sound versions, I am very happy with this loco.

Having seen Paul Chetter’s video of the class 14, I am sorely tempted to pre-order one of these (if there are any still available).

Thanks to Chris and the team at Minerva in getting this to me very quickly after the Christmas break.

Neal

Edited by neal
  • Like 2

You can get the factory sound project from Minerva. I think there may be a kit price for sound loaded decoder and speaker. Certainly this was discussed at the time of release, but I'm not sure what was finally decided. In any event, Minerva will be able to help you.

Decoder and speaker are fitted in the water tank, above the motor, so there's space in the coal bunker for a stay alive, possibly enough space available in the smoke box but it's been some time since I looked inside so I can't confirm.

Stay alive - Lais Kung Fu from Digitrains. Supercapacitor pack with very small form factor.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Chris at Minerva about getting sound fitted to mine. You will need to send it to Chris at Minerva for him to undertake this, as there is very limited (i.e.next to no) room and the PCB will need to be cut down to fit. IIRC it wasn't expensive (approx £140 including the cost of the decoder and the postage). 

I am very impressed with mine: 

• Like 4

On 12/01/2022 at 23:18, NeilHB said:

I spoke to Chris at Minerva about getting sound fitted to mine. You will need to send it to Chris at Minerva for him to undertake this, as there is very limited (i.e.next to no) room and the PCB will need to be cut down to fit. IIRC it wasn't expensive (approx £140 including the cost of the decoder and the postage). 

I am very impressed with mine: 

Is the flat smokebox door and stovepipe chimney a scratch build or are these parts from S&D models you used to dress it up as an earlier version?

Personal and global circumstances out of my control keep delaying my projects, but I do plan on backdating the K class model for a personal project.

The K class Manning Wardles were built from the 1860s to about 1914, and in that time there were lots of detailed changes and evolution in the design. Fact is that you can do almost anything to them and it would be entirely plausible. Non-standard cab? Locally made to suit local conditions. Non-standard chimney? Replacement after an accident with a small crane. Non-standard buffers? Replacement after shunting accident.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

Is the flat smokebox door and stovepipe chimney a scratch build or are these parts from S&D models you used to dress it up as an earlier version?

Personal and global circumstances out of my control keep delaying my projects, but I do plan on backdating the K class model for a personal project.

The K class Manning Wardles were built from the 1860s to about 1914, and in that time there were lots of detailed changes and evolution in the design. Fact is that you can do almost anything to them and it would be entirely plausible. Non-standard cab? Locally made to suit local conditions. Non-standard chimney? Replacement after an accident with a small crane. Non-standard buffers? Replacement after shunting accident.

The smokebox door is from Slaters (as are the metal brake shoes on all wheels), the stovepipe chimney is from S&D castings. 

I also replaced the safety valve with a casting from Slaters. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

The smokebox door is from Slaters (as are the metal brake shoes on all wheels), the stovepipe chimney is from S&D castings. 

I also replaced the safety valve with a casting from Slaters. 

Please, were you able to buy the smokebox door as a spare part from Slaters or maybe it is a left-over from one of their kits?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Please, were you able to buy the smokebox door as a spare part from Slaters or maybe it is a left-over from one of their kits?

- Richard.

They were left overs from Slater's kits. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to sell you the parts directly though, worth giving them a call and asking. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2022 at 08:48, NeilHB said:

They were left overs from Slater's kits. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to sell you the parts directly though, worth giving them a call and asking. 

Yes this is a good idea and I will try them again during the week.

Update 17/01: I have spoken with Catherine at Slaters and subsequently written to David as he is working from home at the moment.

Update 08/02: Three weeks on I have no reply from Slaters so I guess buying a spare smokebox door from them is a non-starter. Nice idea though - thanks.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
Update as noted