Kato Unitram

Hi all

I'm slowly building a collection of Kato Unitram items in order to build a small N gauge tram themed layout.

I am trying to obtain some of the other road pieces, which I believe are under the "Unitstreet" range, however I cannot find the parts I want available separately only as one of several complete large kits.

Does anyone know any part numbers or suppliers - UK or otherwise - that might be able to help?

​Many thanks

'nut

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes UK suppliers apart from Gaugemaster don't seem to stock the individual bits, even a couple who advertise them!

Plazajapan are excellent though and even with taxes usually cheaper than Gaugemaster.

You can join it up to mine!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10252-kato-n-gauge-tram-system/page-2

Modular trams ? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a lot of fun!

A Google search under Kato Unitram brings up all the various part numbers. It also shows Osborns as a supplier.

The building kits and bases without track seem to be sold as DioTown.

I like the way that the roadway sections match with ordinary N gauge track. So easy to model a typical modern European tramway with areas of reserved track that have been grassed over.

https://www.katouk.com/kato-23-412-station-area-road-expansion-plate-243-p.asp

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

. So easy to model a typical modern European tramway with areas of reserved track that have been grassed over.

Tomix do inlaid N tram track with printed on grass ;)

They also do a lot of useful buildings and then there's the Tomytec trams too.

Edited by PaulRhB

Been Googling suitable buildings.

Quite a lot available now for modelling a tramway in Northern France or Belgium.

Many of the Japanese offerings available are quite suitable for modern UK urban settings as well, I've bought a few from Plazajapan and some from Ebay from Outland models.  It's easy enough to make some UK signage yourself and brand them up for high street staples.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Outland-Models-Railway-City-Department-Business-Building-Apartment-N-Scale/292456507828?hash=item4417c429b4:m:m7TaYyrw90TtPgvD52e_a7g

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Train Trax, Hattons and Rails of Sheffield all list Kato including Unitram bits.

Last week ordered 3 sets of Tram Points, 2 from Train Trax cos that is all that they had in stock and another from Japan still to arrive. I have been attempting to set up a Layout similar to the one in this Vid. From ‘the one true scale’. In the meantime I have ordered another 2 Points from Hattons that arrived this morning with some spare as new Kato Insulated and Non Insulated Rail Joiners. Hattons were a much better peice, should have done some more research!

Plus I have another Unitram Set on Back Order from Rails. This will allow a similar Layout to the one that matey above has done. But mine will be a sort of Figure of 8 rather than an L Figure of 8 as it will use a Narrower Board (well Kitchen table). The Spare Point will be used to create a Tram Shed/Workshop/Sidings for spare Stock. I will need to get some single Points and Track for this. It may be that I will use Tomix Track for the Depot as I have a few bits and it looks possible that I may be able to get shorter Crossovers and Points to be efficient with space, non Tram types of course.

So far as I can see he has done 4 informative and sometimes amusing Vids on his line. What has also come out of one of those vids is that one of his Points does not reset completely after being Trailed. Guess what? I have one that is similar and pulled it apart to see if it could be fixed, reasoning that a small piece of carp of plastic sprue could be the cause. Neither was an issue and so it remains an small but irritating issue. For those of a nervous disposition I have part taken a Point apart for you and the following pictures give some clue of what those clever talented nimble fingered Japaneese have produced.

Below can be seen the point at top then underneath showing the orientation of the Mechanism with the Point set to Normal “Straight run”.

post-12277-0-38702300-1544108173_thumb.jpeg

post-12277-0-59186500-1544108189_thumb.jpeg

Here are two pics showing the Point set to Reverse.

post-12277-0-85318400-1544108215_thumb.jpeg

post-12277-0-88497700-1544108235_thumb.jpeg

Finally a brutal close up showing the effect of not fully returning the Blade to Normal which can have the effect of derailing a Tram.

post-12277-0-76000700-1544108252_thumb.jpeg

I have used two of the points as bought and find that when reverced the Power is cut out when fed in from the Right Straight Line in the Picture. I have looked at the Instructions inside the Cardboard that came with the Points and there are alterations that can be made to the Power Configuration of the Points. I need to investigate this a little further.

Edited by dunnyrail

• 1 year later...

Just seen that Topslots are offering a new Kato Tram for pre order. Is a 4wheel but in the middle then 4wheel jobby. Will report on it when it appears. Just look at TS advert. 

https://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?ref=Kato-Japan-14-804-01-N-Gauge-HER-HIRODEN-1000-LEV-GREN-MOVER-LEX-TRAM&id=17420&manufacturer='KATO N Gauge'