DERBY ROUNDHOUSE 12th & 13th May 2018

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Out until late last night putting up direction signs all around Pride Park - I just hope they are all still there after tonight's football match (Derby County play Fulham in the Championship Play-off first leg). In a way it's a good job they didn't do a bit better otherwise the match would have been tomorrow afternoon . . . . .

After the great success of our Bachmann loco 37114 (due next month and sold out), look out at the show for our next announcement - and it's not a loco (but there is another already in the planning stage)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike ,

Good to all goes well and it falls to "us" organisers to put out the road signs ! - and  collect again afterwards.

Plan to be in first rush on Saturday as in day job at 14.00 so a flying visit but as ever thanks for work done by club and yourself,

Shawplan and Angria town certain stops  

Whizz   

I'm meeting a couple of R M Web members at Mick Bryan / Newbryford's Deadmans Lane on Saturday at 12 noon if anyone is passing and wants to put faces to names.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

https://www.thetrainline.com/book/results?origin=e2e4f0ad-72af-47a4-a27a-a3d3abb06d0a&destination=a9a24424-f9a9-4edf-a8a7-d0e49aa98647&outwardDate=2018-05-12T10%3A00%3A00&outwardDateType=departAfter&journeySearchType=return&passengers%5B%5D=1988-05-09&inwardDate=2018-05-12T16%3A15%3A00&inwardDateType=departAfter&selectedOutward=%2FjQi2OHFxVnOC28BSW9lXA%3D%3D%3AIkifw9Rxy5Qrxj5JGc7ADg%3D%3D&selectedInward=HxKBDVhBMHKL8oqUAoCXVQ%3D%3D%3A0K2QfRqkl4YrRjy7UK%2F1tA%3D%3D

I think it'll be a little more complex than 'it's only about 2 miles'. Tailbacks from the junction of another two miles or so etc.

I was going to go, on paper it's one of the best shows for finescale this month including expoEM and RAILEX, but I think not, perhaps next year.

Have a good one

Regards

If you have a sat-nav with traffic info it should be able to find you a clear run away from the congestion, even if it is a slightly longer route.

• RMweb Premium

There is an informal unofficial meet of a few RMweb members at the 'Deadman's Lane' layout at 12.00 noon on Saturday - possibly followed by a trip to the bar - there's only so much tea you can drink in a day . . . . 

Mike

If you have a sat-nav with traffic info it should be able to find you a clear run away from the congestion, even if it is a slightly longer route.

I do have a satnav but it’s a very simple one. For me I reckon on M1, M6, A38 etc. Might be possible

Then again M40, M42, A444 (which is a slow road), A38.

Sometimes things are not practical, see you next year perhaps

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

And the best way to visit this show is of course by rail.A short walk over the footbridge from all platforms and you are at The Roundhouse.At the same time you can view the progress of the restructuring of Derby station ,signalling and trackwork.This afternoon for added interest is parked up in the North bay a Class 50 and what looked to be the Euro Class 37...you know,the one with fancy vynils.The M1 is not clever this weekend,I'm afraid and diversions using some of the roads mentioned will only add to existing local difficulties with already overloaded and taxed conditions ...e.g the A444 and A38...,it means Burton which is enough of a nightmare on a normal day.Let the train take the strain.

I do have a satnav but it’s a very simple one. For me I reckon on M1, M6, A38 etc. Might be possible

Then again M40, M42, A444 (which is a slow road), A38.

Sometimes things are not practical, see you next year perhaps

M1, M6, A38 looks like the best bet for those coming from the south.

• RMweb Premium

Great Show today, and I was amazed by the larger than normal queue this morning.

Well done Team. :sungum:

Thanks Andy - and good to meet you again. We were also amazed at the queue and apologise to those who had to wait a few minutes longer than usual. As our regular visitors will know, we sell tickets outside to the queue so that they can normally get in as soon as the show is open rather than waiting at a pay desk - this time the queue was growing faster than they could sell tickets but by the time we realised this it was too late to send out back-up. It was noticeable that the desk got busier each time a train arrived and so perhaps more were on the train to avoid the M! roadworks ?

Still open until 5.00pm today and open again on Sunday 10.00am to 4.30pm

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just back in London after a day at the show. Excellent show and venue, got a couple of bargains as well. Came up Friday by train and stayed in the hotel round the corner. Station, Roundhouse and hotel all within a few hundred yards of each other :)

Thanks to the organisers and exhibitors.

Agreed. A great show once again. Congrats to the organising team.

Great to meet so many RMWeb members. Sorry I did not get a chance to chat to everyone. Had a nice long chat and a couple of ales with ChrisF.

Good show - nice to have a ‘different’ venue (as opposed to the generic sports hall), with a decent selection of layouts/trade support. Hard to single any layout in particular for praise - all were of a high standard.

Only criticism was that some of the aisles away from the main hall were rather narrow (particularly in the room containing the ‘Thomas’ layout) - could barely move due to the gridlocking! As mentioned above though, demand can sometimes surpass expectations and planning isn’t an exact science.

All in, an enjoyable day out though :good:

For all of you who came to this exhibition to see Neely. I had to cancel due to the after affects of my serious stroke which happened in January. It has left me with depression and anxiety issues for which I am taking medication. If this works, I hope to feel well enough to take Neely to TINGS

regards

Terry Metcalfe

Thanks to having a 14:00 book on this afternoon, was able to get round the show this morning.

The layout that I mainly went to see was Arigna Town, which didn’t disappoint, enjoyed a good period watching the trains come and go.

post-11098-0-09622100-1526157535_thumb.jpeg

The 4mm scale model of Rolvenden is also right up my alley!

One layout that impressed was the German O gauge, Ahrtalzweibruck, my Dad says the Ahr Valley makes some very good red wine... first time a European O gauge layout has impressed, the 2-10-0 chuffing along with sound and smoke was rather good. A bit like a 9F on a branchline!

post-11098-0-15518800-1526157840_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-74586800-1526157884_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

post-11098-0-09622100-1526157535_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-15518800-1526157840_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-74586800-1526157884_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There was me busy trying to couple up using three link couplings when Iooked up and saw a huge crowd in front Welso Steels. Wow I thought this is the biggest audience for one of Dave Tailby's layouts I have ever seen. Wrong it was Andy Peters' gathering of RMwebbers. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: 

Great day, thanks to Alex and the club. :good: 

• Like 4