Kingsbridge - Paintshop

NoelG

RPSI Dutch GSV nearing completion after painting. Varnish, Decals, glazing and weathering left.

IMG_7252.JPG

After receiving advise from a higher authority I decided to invest in one of these. So far its proven silly smooth to use and ultra easy to maintain compared to the inexpensive £20 air brushes I've used this past 36months. The nozzle cap and nozzle are all push to fit, so easy to remove the needle from the front for cleaning after a session. Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 ( 0.2mm & 0.4mm )

IMG_7248.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/08/2020 at 00:32, jhb171achil said:

Mighty stuff (as usual!)! Looks superb.

Cheers Jonathan. Progress continues. Ready for glazing, buffers, chassis re-fitting and weathering. Might even try lights.

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7320.JPG

A brace of Dutch

IMG_7322.JPG

• Like 3

On 24/08/2020 at 21:29, kirley said:

Looking good Noel, are you adding boilers?

IMG_5801.JPG.66ae14b83c8f1681cde4d58b45929d10.JPG

Cheers Kieran, not sure yet. Rummaging around tool shed looking for tubing that's the correct diameter.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

On 24/08/2020 at 21:29, kirley said:

Looking good Noel, are you adding boilers?

Well Kieran, cleaning out a barn yesterday with my wife she found a bit of tubing that got repurposed. At least something will be behind the windows.

IMG_7405.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

B135 got aged a little. Got ride of the pristine fisher price look. I really like this livery now. It fits in well with the 1960s era coaching stock and goods wagons I like to run. When the railways were interesting before boring uniform stock, bogie goods, and fitted stock came in. Hail the days of loose coupled goods trains. These 121 class were often seen hauling mixed rakes of passenger and 2 axle goods wagons.

B135_weathered.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, wiggy1 said:

Very nice Noel but how did you get the numbers reversed???   :huh:   :mocking_mini:

Cheers, Ah but that was a special ISPR edition model 531B. I got distracted a few weeks ago driving it a lot. :) In truth I flipped the image horizontally so it would match the 'before' one above. Not also the grill has the steps on one side of the bonnet, and the boxes behind the cab are different. :) Eagle eyes you are. I'm only verbally lexdysic, not visually. 

Edited by NoelG

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 15:14, jhb171achil said:

How did you “fade” (lighten) the grey colour?

VERY realistic. That livery, hardly surprisingly, did not wear well and got shabby looking pretty quickly.

Hi Jonathan, the grey was dulled by using a very light acrylic wash of weathering powder in water/decalfix solution with most of it wiped back off.

122 got a gentle weathering. The cab door handrails were tricky. I choose this odd ball hybrid livery of CIE super train morphing into IR pre-tippex white stripes.

IMG_8504.jpg

Just enough grime to look in service rather than on a scrap line

IMG_8499.jpg

This livery lends itself to some dirt

IMG_8502.jpg

I was never really a fan of super train livery on the GMs but it has grown on me.

IMG_8503.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Lima mk3 resprays

After priming, painting white, reverse masking, now time to spray the mix of orange I made up

IMG_9162.jpg

Mask off for the black

IMG_9218.jpg

Moments of truth as masking tape slowly removed in reciprocal direction

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

Ok you can just about make out the thin strips of masking tape covering the white that was area sprayed weeks ago after priming. Looks a bit CIE super train at this moment, but once the thin masking tapes are removed IR/IE Tippex will be revealed.

IMG_9234.jpg

Moment of Truth, the big reveal. Phew!

IMG_9236.jpg

Content with that.

IMG_9238.jpg

Now just varnish, transfers, reassembly and weathering.

IMG_9241.jpg

I have sinned respraying something as utterly modern era as mk3s! I'll rot in the bogie of eternal stench for contaminating myself with such modernity. :) :) 

Bet you as soon as these are finished IRM will announce stunning RTR Irish mk3 coaches and I won't be able to resist buying a rake of them.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of the latest batch of my mk3 resprays before weathering. This time I tried Lima donors. Next up will be some Hornby shorties. Now to get back to cutting, filling, sanding and filing an EGV for them.

IMG_9442.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Spot the differences - IFM Park Royal Coaches livery converted to CIE era rather than IR/IE Tippex modern era. Done by brush. Unfortunately the masking tape took the coach no transfers off with it so will have to replace those. I just cannot run modern era Tippex livery behind my beloved black'n'tan locos through stations with sidings full of two axle goods wagons. Its just not 1960s or even 1970s. Love these unique coaches. I have 3 RTR like this one to be converted back to CIE and two further kits which I'll paint myself so they will end up CIE era. That'll be enough park royals to form at least 3 rakes of CIE era coaches in formation with other assorted CIE era coaches such as early Cravens and Laminates (IFM+SF). When I was a youngster no passenger train was ever made up of the same coach type, not until the super train mk2d's came along in the mid 1970s hailing the transition to modern era trains with uniform rakes of both passenger coaches and fitted freight wagons. 

ParkRoyalCoach_IFM.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I hate masking windows more than peeling onions. Maskol seems utterly useless for this kind of thing due to its viscosity preventing precision application, so back to masking tape with the aid of a Sharons scalpel.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Hycote plastic grey primer (same chemical mix as Halfords)

IMG_0114.jpg

Removed masking tape from the windows before the paint had hardened

IMG_0116.jpg

Hey Presto - Black window panels, as black as priests socks but not very very very dark Blue Ted!

IMG_0117.jpg

Two more coming off the respray bench. Two Hornby shortie donors. One was BR Blue'n'cream with blasted cream window panel surround, the other was BR Swallow livery with Black window panel surround which halves the work load of respraying one of these.

IMG_0118.jpg

PS: Got a pack of 100 LLPs (Little Layout People) on ebay last year a bag costing €3 which saved me about €75 had I used higher quality Bachmann figures. Looking from outside the coach through the windows you cannot really tell any difference. These two coach loads of pax cost about 75c rather than €1.50 per figure had It used more expensive Bachmann or Pross figures. Cut the legs off most of them so I could seat them. Had a few folks walking down the isle or standing on the isle chatting to seated passengers. Not a habit in sight so these won't be used on Knock special.

• Like 1

Got these two finished yesterday 7105

Respray7145.jpg

and 7142

Respray7105.jpg

These are both Hornby 'Shortie' donors (ex BR HST 125 coaches) but curiously one has 7 windows the other 8.

7142 with eight windows (ex BR Swallow livery) so the removable window strip was already black (very very very dark blue) which saved masking or painting the window surrounds. No buffers but will fit some from PetersSpares in due course.

IMG_0123_7142.jpg

7105 Had 7 windows (ex BR Blue+Grey livery HST 125 sets). Buffers had to be added.

IMG_0125_7105.jpg

Both got a light weathering

• Like 1