Kingsbridge - Paintshop

NoelG

6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I use kadees at both ends for ops, but it's a shame not to be able to use the hoses and the full valence as it adds a lot to the personality of the loco.

Thanks. Yes I think it was Graham who posted a thread here a number of years ago showing how to fit the valance with a fixed Kadee coupling in a NEM pocket on 141/181 locos (ie NEM pocket fitted directly to loco body rather than bogie).  This may work ok with short locos and short rolling stock but likely to cause derailments and buffer lock with longer stock such as 201 locos and mk3 coaches.

182 weathered today. I was more than a little apprehensive as this was the first ever MM loco that I bought (at the Fry Museum in Malahide castle about 14 years ago, and I was worried about making a complete dogs dinner out of the lovely loco that was responsible for bringing me back into the hobby. 182 has a special place in my modelling consciousness despite my dislike of the prototypical super train livery. I normally only very lightly weather locos with just a light dusting, just enough to take the pristine look off them, but this time I went for broke using a mix of powders and airbrush. Felt very scary but I'm moderately pleased with the result. Also added the MM Detailing kit to one cab end which greatly helps the look of the loco head on despite the lack of a coupling for run arounds.

IMG_0015.jpg

Before and after. It almost seemed a shame to touch 182 especially as she was my first MM loco, but I like the way she turned out. Aged and used but not a scrape line candidate. I took the bogies off to avoid overspray on the wheels and pickups. They are snap fit and just pop off.

MM0182_Weathering.jpg

I did 182 lighter than 088 last week, far less airbrush after the weathering powders. Took the bogies off to weather them independently saves paint getting on wheels and pickups.

IMG_0014.jpg

The MM 181 buffer beam detail kit was worth adding but, fiddley flip my eyes and fingers were frazzeled after fitting these tiny pieces using magnifying glasses and small tweezers. Must glue that cab down firmly on the sole bar to get rid of the gap.

IMG_0013.jpg

This really is great fun, and I had a few glitches on the way, airbrush clogging and pulsing, but quickly resolved on the fly. There is nothing as stimulating as learning new stuff.  The advantage of water based powders and acrylic airbrush paint is its relatively easy to fix boo-boos. Quite impressed with the MM detailing kit especially the screw link coupling and coupling hook.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2019 at 22:08, pat141 said:

Your getting good at this now.

I see you are loosing the lamp irons.

Cheers, yes only noticed that yesterday looking at photos, was annoyed and frustrated how did that happen, found an old photo and realised it happened some other time in the past rather than when weathered over the weekend. Wasted hours trying to find the broken pieces that obviously went awol a few years ago. Now will have to fabricate replacements. :)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2019 at 22:08, pat141 said:

Your getting good at this now.

I see you are loosing the lamp irons.

Thanks Pat

I’m Reasonably happy how these two turned out as they were my first orange livery coaches to weather. In the pastI never really liked the supertrain livery but it has warmed to me after a bit of weathering to get rid of the plastic orange look. Early ST overlaps nicely with my CIE era and coexistence with lots of Black’n’Tan era stock. 

IMG_0122.jpg

Yes at some stage a broke lamp irons on both models but didn’t notice until seeing these picks. 182 lost hers last year sometime based on looking at older photos of her, I possibly knocked them off when installing DCC decoder. 

IMG_0124.jpg

Personally I prefer the way 182 turned out. 088 a little heavier than I’d have liked, but happy to settle for both as my heart was in my mouth fearing I’d ruin two lovely models. 

IMG_0121.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks chaps. Before weathering gave the wagons a test run and happy to report they ran perfectly and free as a bird. No sticky axles nor derailments this time. Pre weathering took the loads off to age the pallet loads a bit. Really like these wagons, they seem the best yet from this stable and delighted to have them after the slight disappointment of the container flat wagons (lube-gate). Vacuum pipes needed a little pruning to avoid snagging couplings on sharper bends. These are superb wagons right up there with the Tara’s.

IMG_4749.JPG

mid way through weathering

IMG_4754.JPG

taras after they got some aging 

IMG_0261.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

bit of buffer grease needed on them locos noel otherwise nice Job.

Would not the Fert bags bec clean out anyhow as they are collected straight from the factory?  I would of maybed coated them with Matt Varnish to get rid of the gloss though.  Hoepfulyl Whesty will bring out sum Transfers for the bags, We can then scatter them all over the countyside to full effect. Thats a thought OO scale litter and black bags of road side rubbish...

• Like 2

Very nice weathering job indeed - very realistic.

Regarding litter, I had often thought that. I have some photos taken in Heuston goods yard in the 1970s and where I took them, there were scattered pages of newspapers all over the place. I seem to still associate overgrown goods sidings with scattered bits of newspaper! I thought a few bits of light tissue paper a few millimetres square would do the trick for that.

Empty oil drums, rusted, seemed to be seen a lot in days gone by, in corners of old goods yard areas.

For more modern times, unfortunately graffiti and discarded plastic bags.....

Interesting that you mentioned graffiti John. In the later 1960's though trains themselves seemed only targets for stone throwers (Central junction area was particularly bad in an early evening), photo's show that ANY bare wall in the urban areas was enscribed with some form of slogan, whether political or a football team. Running through the area it did, the a passenger on a train heading into GVS would have seen exhortations for "Linfield" and the "UVF". See the cover of "Steam's Last Fling" for an example of what was prevalent throughout Northern Ireland (from both sides of the fence). A personal memory was after the main front section of GVS was demolished, the north face of the surviving south wing was left as a large plain rendered wall. It would have been on your right as you came out of the station. Seeing it completed on a Friday evening I remember thinking "How long is that going to stay that clean?". The local graffiti boys did not let us down as by the following Monday morning someone has daubed right across the wall in black paint (rather crudely) the words "HOME RULE - FOR ENGLAND"............

Edited by Lambeg Man
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some more CIE wagons got some treatment today. 10 done now.

IMG_5406.jpg

Great to spend some time doing these while housebound 

IMG_5399.jpg

10 CIE wagons now completed to go with my older Bachmann converted wagons and the rake of open beet wagons

IMG_5405.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 23/11/2018 at 22:35, NoelG said:

Thanks Kieran. Modellers learn from each other and inspire each other. When I saw what others were doing it inspired me to 'have a go' despite a massive irrational fear that I might destroy stock if I dared take an airbrush to it. I bought an airbrush nearly three years ago, but fear prevented my from lifting it until 20 months ago. I watched a lot of YouTubes and Richie gave me a demo back in 2015. Then I realised that if I could get past the 'fear of failure' that airbrush was the way to go for me.

The usual crawl before walking and walking before running advise paid off, but believe me, there were some unpublished mistakes along the way, but this learning journey has been one of the most enjoyable things I've done in years. I've learned there is always more to learn, but watching the work of others has been educational, informative and provoked action. Best thing I ever did was buy an airbrush. :) There are some seriously experienced and talented chaps in the hobby and I have benefited from generous advice, help and tips from many of them for which I am grateful.

PS: Weathering powders have been my latest learning curve.

Absolutely superb stuff

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1-2-3

IMG_7036.JPG

CIE Supertrain or IR/IE Tippex? 

IMG_7041.JPG

Tippex it is

IMG_7044.JPG

Phew - you just never know how a paint job is going to turn out until you remove the masking tape

IMG_7047.JPG

Varnish + Decals next, then off with the window masking

As Ted said to Dougal "Careful now". Off with that reverse masking.

IMG_7042.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2