Regency Rails - Georgian, Williamine & Early Victorian Railways

Only until the wearing of tartan was banned following the '45!

Edited to add that strictly speaking tartan is a type of cloth, not the pattern. 

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was the traditional Highland dress, or certain features thereof, that was proscribed, tartan, at least as now understood, not really existing then but being largely an invention of that Sassenach Sir Walter Scott (descendant of Border Rievers) for George IV's visit to Edinburgh. 

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Can you armor a horse?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This horse with beautifully moulded plastic detachable armour was my eldest's favourite toy

image.png.52cb0b623bd18842bab1a667f4b0940a.png

He already had "Max", the similarly moulded Knight (Valiant's rider). The various parts must all still be scattered around the cupboards in our decrepit old pile overlooking the Battle of Newburn Ford - fought between the Scots and the English over control of coal revenues.

The Scots decisively won here also in 1640 by placing  a cannon on the top Newburn's late Saxon church tower and routing the King's troops garrisoned in Newcastle.

Early hardwood oak railway networks (documented earlier in the thread) are a part of the past hereabouts too, while Newburn even crops up in Swindon work's past.

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Early hardwood oak railway networks (documented earlier in the thread) are a part of the past hereabouts too, while Newburn even crops up in Swindon work's past.

As my wife comes from Sunderland, and I went to college there, I have quite an interest in the early waggonways.

In their more modern form, I used to spend ages watching the activity at a changeover point between two inclines at Seaham.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought it was the traditional Highland dress, or certain features thereof, that was proscribed, tartan, at least as now understood, not really existing then but being largely an invention of that Sassenach Sir Walter Scott (descendant of Border Rievers) for George IV's visit to Edinburgh. 

If you scroll down this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan to the section on The Dress Act 1746. you'll see that tartan was included in the proscription.

Most present day setts are indeed modern inventions and new patterns are often being introduced for specific events or even towns.  E.g. Peebles has its own tartan designed to celebrate the centenary of the Beltane Festival, one of the Common Riding events of the Border towns.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Most present day setts are indeed modern inventions and new patterns are often being introduced for specific events or even towns.  E.g. Peebles has its own tartan designed to celebrate the centenary of the Beltane Festival, one of the Common Riding events of the Border towns.

And then, to Scotland's eternal shame there is this. The Trump Tartan

994507477_trumptartan.jpg.656883bab51aab3aee219026eb2de71c.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Only until the wearing of tartan was banned following the '45!

Our notional Jacobites in an armoured train (!) would doubtless have worn plaid prior to their inevitable defeat (!), though not, ironically, "Royal Stewart", as that was made up in 1831!

3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Edited to add that strictly speaking tartan is a type of cloth, not the pattern. 

Jim 

No need to sett upon me.

• Funny 1

Not just presidents. On the tartan register I found the Australian Donkey Tartan. Don't know if it is supposed to just be worn by donkeys, or whether (your choice of) particular politicians are included. I bet there is an early Australian loco called the Donkey though so it might look fetching in this.donkey.jpg.9f355a8f414fc15891f897dae3a7f38e.jpg

• Funny 2

On 19/06/2020 at 09:14, Edwardian said:

One imagines it would wear Royal Stewart Tartan ....

2127686028_NBRRoyalCrampton.jpg.fd3d97001afbcc5b3b5ed44e4f040fdb.jpg

That should be done more, Sir Jackie Stewart would certainly approve. In Scottish shipyards there used to be a trick played on apprentices: they would be told when they got annoying to go to the stores buildings and get a “can of tartan paint” this would then irk the store keeper who would proceed to give them a walloping, after this they would generally be respected by all. 

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

That should be done more, Sir Jackie Stewart would certainly approve. In Scottish shipyards there used to be a trick played on apprentices: they would be told when they got annoying to go to the stores buildings and get a “can of tartan paint” this would then irk the store keeper who would proceed to give them a walloping, after this they would generally be respected by all. 

This was often done on 1st April.  Other errands were to go for along stand, a left handed screwdriver or a bucket of steam!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Would anybody on here happen to have some photos of the GWR Broad Gauge 0-6-0 Pyracmon class? I’ve found some photos of Steropes after she went barreling down an embankment near Llanwern, but that’s all I’ve found. 

The only thing I can find is that the remaining ones were grouped into the Caesar class of which it is said they were similar. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
On 28/06/2020 at 17:36, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Hi There,

This might help those Scottish apprentices:

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Not for you: that's not a Gibson Tartan...

Hi There,

That's fine by me as my name isn't Gibson, I'm more of a monkey than a Gibson, also that there is McNab lineage in the family as well as a distant connection to the Wedgewood potters.

Gibbo[ns].

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Funny 2

On 19/06/2020 at 18:27, webbcompound said:

And then, to Scotland's eternal shame there is this. The Trump Tartan

Actually, Scotland has more to not boast about. Trump's mother was a MacLeod of Lewis. 

She left the island in the mass migration after the First World War.  

image.png.bab24b2b8788581c9f55deb102b069f6.png

Best wishes 

Eric 

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Exceedingly grim.

As I understand it, Gaunless Bridge was never built to bear locomotives, the valley lying between two rope-worked inclines and, I understood, the intervening line always horse-worked. 

IIRC the history, a diversion was built in the 1850s, and that enabled loco-working.

This picture is clearly of a train (there is a chaldron seen behind the tender) and this seems improbable. I cannot immediately see the need for light engine working over the viaduct and would not have thought the viaduct would take such a weight. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This image, found Here and described as "An image believed to have come to light from an early postcard" surprised me, and struck me as highly improbable.

director1832.jpg.c2cbb034e60bb563112911ed9ce88ef9.jpg

It certainly would have to be a photoshopped image.

• Funny 1