Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

Oh those are wonderful images - I haven't seen any colour photos of the scene at Bowling with the signal box intact. It's the right period too (1960s) so it shows the signal box in-situ at the endo of the railway's life!

I do love a signal box project but I'm going to struggle to justify it as the original box was there to control a swing bridge, with the elevation giving a view of the railway and the canal. It was also a double-track line where my bridge is single track.

Saying all that - it is a wonderful structure!!

My copy of 'Signalling the Caledonian Railway' even has a drawing with both side and front elevation:

attachicon.gifbowling-signal-box.jpg

Jings! after all these year I thought it was just another signalbox, albeit a rather unique one with a view to die for, Railways, Canals and heavy shipping traffic on the River Clyde.  Mibbes just as well  it wasn't a Box with so many distractions ;-)  

Seems that overhead signal boxes were not too common, particularly north of the border. The only one I have came across is this one on the Glasgow & City Union line at Salkeld Street Parcels Depot/ Port Eglinton. 

Anecdotally, when I was a second man at Polmadie quite a few drivers told of when they were firemen holding their firing shovels aloft as they passed at speed underneath this particular signalbox and rattled the corrugated steel sheeting that protected the flooring from the loco steam blast as they passed under much to the enjoyment of the resident signalmen above  >:-D

post-15067-0-43024000-1538785901_thumb.jpg

A Class 5 heading tender first back to St Enoch Perhaps?

post-15067-0-93985600-1538785920_thumb.jpg

Signalbox or not I'd it build it as it's just too good not to. 

Indeed, first time I have seen a colour pic too. 

Many thanks to both of you. 

I've yet to find one in colour from this era. I suspect my photo may be the only one and gladly sharing it here. 

• Like 1

.. Signalbox or not I'd it build it as it's just too good not to. 

I've yet to find one in colour from this era. I suspect my photo may be the only one and gladly sharing it here. 

Thanks again for getting stuck in to a discussion about this model.

Your teasing may have paid off and I'm seriously thinking about adding it to the left-hand of the scene, as I might be able to explain it thus:

In my imagined scene, the railway swing-bridge is to the left of the viaduct and the box that controls it and the signals is in a different position.

Not only would it be a remarkable feature it would also help disguise the scenic exit from the diorama (something I hadn't solved and was leaving me scratching-my head a little)

So watch this space.

PS - I love the photo of the box at Salkeld Street Parcels Depot - I couldn't find another overhead signal box in my book. The other swing-bridge boxes at Grangemouth and Orchardhall are sited more conventionally although both boxes are quite striking. The one at Orchardhall disguises the hydraulic power source in a castellated brick tower!

Here are some photos of this location that would make a great 'small railway project' in its own right:

Photo of the Orchardhall swing bridge and signal box

post-26609-0-74352400-1538828349_thumb.jpg

Photo of the elevations that are included in the book I mentioned:

post-26609-0-17274400-1538828415_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6

Thanks for the photos showing applying the clay, very useful.

There was an overhead Signal Box at Queen Street Low Level (Q.S. West Box I believe), mounted on plate girders over the 4 platform station, presumably due to lack of space at "ground" level. There is a photo of it in "Scottish Branch Line Steam" (of all places!) by Bradford Barton.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos showing applying the clay, very useful.

There was an overhead Signal Box at Queen Street Low Level (Q.S. West Box I believe), mounted on plate girders over the 4 platform station, presumably due to lack of space at "ground" level. There is a photo of it in "Scottish Branch Line Steam" (of all places!) by Bradford Barton.

Hard to categorise 'Glasgow Queen Street Low Level' as a Scottish branch line!

PS I found a photo of an overhead cabin in my book on signalling - it is listed as 'Shields No.2'  - I can't work out if it is the same signal box that our friend "Clydebridge" identified ..

post-26609-0-75178200-1538937999_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hard to categorise 'Glasgow Queen Street Low Level' as a Scottish branch line!

PS I found a photo of an overhead cabin in my book on signalling - it is listed as 'Shields No.2' - I can't work out if it is the same signal box that our friend "Clydebridge" identified ..

signal-box-shields-2.jpg

Very interesting box, different though I think; the one "Clydebridge" put up appears to span 2 lines and there is no apparent adjacent embankment (looks to be flat-ish land).

I agree that a busy 4 platform Commuter station is somewhat out of place in a book on branch line steam!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Very interesting box, different though I think; the one "Clydebridge" put up appears to span 2 lines and there is no apparent adjacent embankment (looks to be flat-ish land).

I agree that a busy 4 platform Commuter station is somewhat out of place in a book on branch line steam!

Cheers,

Martyn.

Martyn - I see you are busy exhibiting "Crinan" - here's hoping I get to see it at some point as it's "right up my street" 

Martyn - I see you are busy exhibiting "Crinan" - here's hoping I get to see it at some point as it's "right up my street"

Thanks, yes had a very good weekend at Wigan show, that's pretty much it for this year now, so I can get on with some tweaks, alterations and maintainence.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
  • 3 weeks later...

After a fascinating distraction looking at the weird and wonderful world of overhead Caledonian signal boxes (what a great hobby!) - here's a "wee update" on progress with the buildings at 'Caledonian Basin' ..

First off that rather imposing factory gets a coat of grey primer ...

post-26609-0-77829600-1540832285_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Next up - I decided the main 'canal house' was looking a bit crude at the left side of the building.

In building it, I had deviated from the building that inspired this model version. The raised deck has never looked right, especially as there was no door to justify the steps and the deck area.

So I sawed it off an made a more interesting walled yard, which is a bit closer to the real thing.

Here's the original, before the butchery ...

post-26609-0-94318100-1540832582_thumb.jpg

And here are some angles on the new 'courtyard-and-steps' version ...

post-26609-0-25004800-1540832690_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 12

Hi - I can confirm that the two signalboxes in the thread above are different - The one identified by Clydebridge is Port Eglinton Junction (GSWR), 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=55.8491&lon=-4.2634&layers=170&right=BingHyb

Your photo is correctly identified as Shields No.2 which was a Joint line box(?)  further to the West, closed 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=55.8485&lon=-4.2963&layers=170&right=BingHyb

Both boxes closed on 02/04/1967.

Jim

Hi - I can confirm that the two signalboxes in the thread above are different - The one identified by Clydebridge is Port Eglinton Junction (GSWR), 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=55.8491&lon=-4.2634&layers=170&right=BingHyb

Your photo is correctly identified as Shields No.2 which was a Joint line box(?)  further to the West, closed 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=55.8485&lon=-4.2963&layers=170&right=BingHyb

Both boxes closed on 02/04/1967.

Jim

Cheers Jim - always good to hear from someone who knows their stuff! I must admit the signal boxes would make wonderful subjects for a bit of modelling ..

Brilliant modelling BTW - I have also been researching old industrial Glasgow Buildings, I opted for this one in Dunn Street in Dalmarnock as it was owned by a supplier that I carried out a quality audit on.  The current owner (a shotblasting and painting company) took great delight in telling me that it used to be owned by William Arrol and that part s of the Forth Bridge were fabricated there, he didn't take too kindly to my comment that the place looked as though it hadn't been cleaned since then!

post-188-0-27026400-1540994264_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 1

Brilliant modelling BTW - I have also been researching old industrial Glasgow Buildings, I opted for this one in Dunn Street in Dalmarnock as it was owned by a supplier that I carried out a quality audit on.  The current owner (a shotblasting and painting company) took great delight in telling me that it used to be owned by William Arrol and that part s of the Forth Bridge were fabricated there, he didn't take too kindly to my comment that the place looked as though it hadn't been cleaned since then!

attachicon.gifshotblasters.JPG

Jim

Thanks again Jim for chipping in with some feedback.

That's an impressive frontage you've got in mind - there's so much in the way of brick industrial buildings that whet the appetite - lets face it we are never going to be lost for inspiration! ...

On which note ...

This weekend I have mostly been ... filing holes in plastic!

I once gawped at a wonderful model called Ynysybwl at an exhibition. One of the exhibitors spoke happily about how he made their fine buildings. I realised from our chat that no short cuts were used in achieving his seamless models and beautiful features.

Basically there was a lot of filing / offering-up / filing / checking / filing (repeat to fade)

I wanted to produce a new industrial building for my diorama that is based on a real canalside example that had lots of windows with curved brick lintels. Mouldings are available for both windows and lintels from York Models but you need to fettle your own holes to fit them.

Here's a few photos of my approach - and the first time I've tried to achieve flush-brickwork lintels.

It needed a lot of filing and checking! I suspect the only way to achieve this more easily is laser cutting.

Here's the facade popped onto the towpath 

post-26609-0-93213300-1541376307_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-87565100-1541376334_thumb.jpg

Here are the cutting / filing / fettling photos

post-26609-0-19670800-1541376091_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-33785800-1541376107_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-13052500-1541376148_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-26023400-1541376173_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-73744200-1541376271_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

attachicon.gifshotblasters.JPG

Jim

PS I wonder if thy put a broom round the place when you left?