Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

• 1 month later...

Hardly my place to cast any observations suggesting anything is lacking but the extreme RH end of the factory building just to the left of the loco looks like it could use some kind of finishing off structural element like another end wall buttress or something.

On 26/10/2019 at 03:11, Martin S-C said:

.... the extreme RH end of the factory building just to the left of the loco looks like it could use some kind of finishing off structural element like another end wall buttress or something.

My thoughts too!

I'm thinking about making a fully scratchbuit factory / mill / warehouse and donating the Metcalfe to my father's layout.

• 2 weeks later...

By comparison to the tiny Hornby Peckett, I  picked up a Minerva Peckett in O gauge - I just wanted one without a realistic plan for making a layout!

It has been a fun thing to start weathering and may yet find a little diorama layout as home.

minerva-peckett-01.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

In the spirit of the festive season, here's Caledonian Basin with a dusting of baking powder - sorry! I mean SNOW ...

christmas-2019.jpg.f28c52bb96351109433bd8f89850016a.jpg

Lately, my father's layout has consumed me but I will be back on it next year, get it properly operational and fleshed out with more details and home-made buildings.

Your comments, feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

Much-needed changes were made early on after some honest feedback from RMWeb members and I remain very grateful of the input. The subsequent model was so much better  and I really enjoyed the new direction.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 25/12/2019 at 14:45, NHY 581 said:

See you in January, 

Rob. 

Hi Rob .. I spoke to your friend Brian  with some bad news!

I won't be bringing Caledonian  Basin this year due to being overwhelmed by recent  commitments. I've to come in 2021 when I'll be sure of having something complete and fully functioning.

I am going to come along as a visitor and will seek you out.

Edited by brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Hi Rob .. I spoke to your friend Brian  with some bad news!

I won't be bringing Caledonian  Basin this year due to being overwhelmed by recent  commitments. I've to come in 2021 when I'll be sure of having something complete and fully functioning.

I am going to come along as a visitor and will seek you out.

I shall see you there then Brian. With or without Caledonian Basin, it will be good to catch up.. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well - this is exciting, it is now possible to bolt the extension boards to the box.

With the aid of some makeshift viaducts (using spare timber bracing pieces from the baseboards) I can shuttle trains through the scene at Caledonian Basin.

caledonian-basin-17.jpg

• Like 19

On 04/03/2020 at 17:53, jasp said:

The canal office and arches at Bowling basin coughs my eye - more than a little familiar!

Thanks Jim - I take it that Bowling harbour is nearby? I haven't visited the place yet but it seems like such an appealing location to model that I couldn't resist adding some of the features to my layout.

As it's on a cycle path I'm very keen to go for an outing next time I'm in Scotland.