Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

On 09/03/2020 at 12:42, brylonscamel said:

Thanks Jim - I take it that Bowling harbour is nearby? I haven't visited the place yet but it seems like such an appealing location to model that I couldn't resist adding some of the features to my layout.

As it's on a cycle path I'm very keen to go for an outing next time I'm in Scotland.

Definately worth a visit, it was one of those places where two independent railway routes and the canal threaded themselves between the river and high ground https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.93087&lon=-4.48143&layers=170&right=BingHyb

The ex LNER(NB) route is still very much used but the LMS (Caley) was closed in 1965, the trackbed still exists (might actually be part of the cycle path) and the old swing bridge has recently been restored https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/news/features/bowlingbridge/

jim

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Imagining a suitably 'dreich' day at Caledonian Basin via a bit of fun in Photoshop!

caledonian-basin-rain-03.jpg

I said before that having a dark wet/grey skyline really sets this layout up.  Like the signage you have done as well

Colin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2019 at 09:17, brylonscamel said:

The Metcalfe Factory gates get a twist, some additional stone capping and detailing and a side door and OK yeah I will touch up the visible card edges with paint

post-26609-0-54304800-1547025535_thumb.jpg

How the complete factory will sit within the diorama box ...

post-26609-0-27906400-1547027100_thumb.jpg

Some work to add interest to the roofs with styrene capping stones and some individual tiles ...

post-26609-0-78206600-1547027834_thumb.jpg

Happy Good Friday! Hope you and your family are safe in these interesting times.

A while ago, I commented upon how much I liked your factory kitbash. I, too, have the Chris Nevard article and have obtained the gatehouse kit with intentions of upgrading, but looking back at your building for inspiration, can you tell me if you used two gateway kits to create the gatehouse? As much as I like the "bell tower" (can't think what else to call it!) of the original kit, it is the case that it does turn up a lot whereas your variation hides it's origins so well.

I also noticed you you later added what looks like part of the warehouse kit to the middle section to create loading facilities. Do you mind me asking how many kits were used in total?

And finally - last question, honest - what happened to the lovely scratchbuilt factory building in grey primer at the right hand end next to the canal basin, that you subsequently replaced with the current building? Far too nice to consign to the scrap bin!

Meanwhile, terrific modelling both here and on your father's layout (love the distillery) and currently torn between your DAS scribed sets and Canute Road Quay's methods for groundwork on my own micro! (If I reached half the standard of either I would be very happy!)

Steve S

STAY SAFE - STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/04/2020 at 10:06, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi Steve - I’ve been away from RMWeb for a few days and just spotted your kind comments and questions.

Q: can you tell me if you used two gateway kits to create the gatehouse?
A: I used one gatehouse kit but effectively ‘kit-bashed’  the towers using parts from the gatehouse kit and also parts from a warehouse/factory kit. The parts I robbed from the factory were mostly windows and printed brick walls with matching window apertures. I was able to customise it easily as I added my own lintels, corbelling etc.

Q: Do you mind me asking how many kits were used in total?

A: I’m pretty sure it was 1 x factory entrance/boilerhouse kit, 1 x complete warehouse/factory and one  partial factory/warehouse kit that my Dad donated to the model.

Q: And finally - last question, honest - what happened to the lovely scratchbuilt factory building in grey primer at the right hand end next to the canal basin, that you subsequently replaced with the current building? Far too nice to consign to the scrap bin!
A: I’m sorry to say the original factory building that you spotted in primer was consigned to the bin! I convinced myself that the building was flawed and didn’t stand up to scrutiny - the arches were out of sync with windows and it looked wonky. I should have kept it as something that could easily have been painted, weathered and placed among other buildings where the measuring mistakes would have been concealed.

I remember taking some online criticism badly and was a bit wounded. I’ve since decided not to be so sensitive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"A: I’m sorry to say the original factory building that you spotted in primer was consigned to the bin! I convinced myself that the building was flawed and didn’t stand up to scrutiny - the arches were out of sync with windows and it looked wonky. I should have kept it as something that could easily have been painted, weathered and placed among other buildings where the measuring mistakes would have been concealed.  I remember taking some online criticism badly and was a bit wounded. I’ve since decided not to be so sensitive!"

I'm sorry you feel like you choked a little on that building.  I liked it and followed it with interest, though I also like what you've done now.  For what it's worth, I hate it when that happens to one of my projects, especially after hours and noodling and money.  I never feel like I can build my way out of something gone awry.  Yet a clean sheet is intimidating in its own way.  It's too bad that the internet was so internet-y about it.  Thanks for getting out there and creating something new and inspiring (among so many others) me.  Please keep building.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zigzag Canyon said:

For what it's worth, I hate it when that happens to one of my projects, especially after hours and noodling and money.  

I think we've all waved goodbye to some time and money after wasted noodling. It feels like it's a necessary experience - being a bit dogged and having another go!

15 hours ago, Zigzag Canyon said:

What's the best thickness for DAS clay that is to be carved or stamped?  Too thick and it cracks?  Too thin and it peels?  What's a good range?  

I have arrived at about 1mm as a good working thickness.

This gives a good depth for scoring without having too thick a 'skin' on the card. I've found it a remarkably pliable material with very good adhesion to materials such as card that have absorbency. It is quite happy at thinner thickness but if you have to sand the clay you can rub through to the substrate too easily.

A bit of dilute PVA allowed to dry on the surface before applying clay can improve adhesion but I haven't bothered lately.

At greater thickness you can get cracking but this is due to differential drying - the outer layer drying whilst the inner core stays damp. It's not a big deal, you can easily patch it with fresh clay but the advice I read was to keep the clay in a cooler, damper environment than you find in centrally heated homes.

You can cover your model - I have used sheets of baking parchment or a slightly damp old tea towel and put it in a cupboard or shed.

Edited by brylonscamel
clumsy explanation!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I guess we're all facing all sorts of challenges at the moment, one of mine was to sort out domestic and work-related stuff this month - as well as enjoying the opportunity we've been gifted to at least enjoy this beautiful start to the Spring through exercise / dog-walks.

Now I'm also busying myself with model-making again!

Little Caledonian Basin has all sorts of minor but necessary bits of modelling, painting and wiring to finish it off.

Here's some progress on the 'minor and necessary' .. I actually fixed the bridge in place so that track could be fixed and wired permanently. Here are some unusual 'overhead' photos which show the track bedded in and some tidying up.

caledonian-basin-overhead-02.jpg.cab5aa51ed662bb2000eb2f73ee8f173.jpg

caledonian-basin-overhead-01.jpg.a407f90afef59d80345f17a90b63bc8a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I have some ballast from DCC Concepts and laid it in with the tried-and-tested brush & PVA method. I'm going to flood the ballast with washes of colour to try and recreate something more 'used' but it looks tidy enough as a starter. The normal viewing angles don't really show the track much but I thought it would be worth trying to get it to look OK ...

caledonian-basin-trackwork-01.jpg.e9cc6d1b03f4971af8182f4a315b521b.jpg.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

.. and another niggle! I have for some time been unhappy with paintwork on the 'canal house' that stands proudly at the front of the model on the quayside.

The original building on which it was based has whitewashed stonework with stone window surrounds, stone courses and detailing left in an unpainted state. I felt this was worth reproducing so the building has had a bit of a repaint ..caledonian-basin-canal-house-01.jpg.b2a7da176ef49fd7bf9daece5bf56b90.jpg

• Like 11

Righty ho! More fun with phone photography!

The sun has been giving some dappled and soft sun in the garden so I thought of dragging little Caledonian Basin outside to see what natural light might add to the model.

Direct sun can be cruelly revealing so I'm rather chuffed that it looked OK under brighter lighting. The sunshine certainly added a bit of drama to some parts of the model.

Here are the photos with soft lighting ...

caledonian-basin-sunshine-07.jpg.9d26c0e0fd1ee60a65b2074dd0a7e72a.jpg

caledonian-basin-sunshine-02.jpg.0bd60b52b882a023f56d486c409141a3.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small progress - in this case the canal-side factory (inspired by one at Ruchill Street) gets gutter pipes, ridge tiles and lots of bricks & tiles picked out in different shades to reproduce the texture I can see in the real world.

Bricks particularly seem to have acquired lots of different hues I guess they are fired in batches and when stacked at brick-works will find themselves in mixed company?

It's a world of manufacture that I don't know much about so it is fascinating to see the range of colours and the regional variations. The obvious material that must change is clay - even my local city Bristol was a big brick maker and the clay was dug at sites all over the area. On the ground you can see the material differs from pace-to-place.

caledonian-basin-factory-08a.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

nspired by one at Ruchill Street

I’ll have to take a closer look: that’s on one of my daily Coronavirus walks!

Looking good.

Paul.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’ll have to take a closer look: that’s on one of my daily Coronavirus walks!

Looking good.

Paul.

I couldn't be sure but Google Street view photos suggest that it's getting fixed up again?

Edited by brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold

External pointing was being repaired the first time we walked past.  I think there were signs for a trust in part of it where the repair works was being done.

If you want and photos or closeups let me know.

Paul.

On 06/05/2020 at 22:38, 5BarVT said:

If you want and photos or closeups let me know.

Thanks Paul .. the building that's currently got my interest is the building on the other side of the bridge. I believe it's got potential to occupy the scene behind the viaduct on my model.

Pictures of that would be very welcome!

• Friendly/supportive 1