Caledonian Basin - railway-in-a-box diorama

brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold

Is that the white painted brick building currently showing as To Let on google street view?

If so, what views are you after?

It will probably be Tuesday’s walk as Sunday is a busy morning and I’m working Monday.

Paul.

On 09/05/2020 at 21:23, 5BarVT said:

If so, what views are you after?

It will probably be Tuesday’s walk as Sunday is a busy morning and I’m working Monday.

Hi Paul - apologies for slight delay - no pressure from me! You’re very kind in making the offer to take photos.

I’m hoping to get a few angles on the place, maybe some details of windows and doorways.

These photos from the Canmore site are really helpful but I have no measurements and only one human point of reference for scale. I’m expectIng to do some brick counting to help so anything that reveals the number of bricks for a window aperture would be an excellent start.

It’s going to be a totally freelance interpretation of the original as I have a specific space to fit!

Thanks again for your offer of help!

Brian

ED3C8FC5-97C4-4BA1-9A89-19013D18A490.jpeg

767D73E6-50E5-4250-A871-72B364917DA5.jpeg

9FB4AA54-33BF-4FF5-AAA7-94CED75AFC08.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't get photo upload to work today.  PM sent with link attached.

I benefitted from going to take the photos: it was a very clear day so as I had the camera with me, I went up to the flagpole in Ruchill park and have lots of photos of Glasgow and the surrounding hills.

Paul.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2020 at 10:55, 5BarVT said:

I went up to the flagpole in Ruchill park and have lots of photos of Glasgow and the surrounding hills

I'm glad you got something out of it. Clear skies probably benefiting from reduced emissions!

• Thanks 1

Some fun in black-and-white and different angles and some views not possible from looking at the diorama square on.

No idea why my Dad acquired a J52 but this unlikely visitor sits on the recently ballasted stretch over the bridge

caledonian-basin-bw-01.jpg.332dd3495de98ed7635679178942d1ee.jpg

I had to swim to get this angle ..

caledonian-basin-bw-02.jpg

A bit of fun in Photoshop to create the effect of smoke from overhead - and *someone* needed to attach a brake van

caledonian-basin-bw-03.jpg

Up among the chimneys

caledonian-basin-bw-04.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 19

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good morning. 

Somebody recently liking a post I made several years ago, brought me here. It was the discussion we had about the embankment not looking quite right in relation to the canal house. That led you to replace it with the arches.

Thought I'd look in to see how you were getting on. There's some really impressive structural and scenic modelling in these pages. Well done that man.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

In a world where superlatives are thrown about willy-nilly, those B&W shots are simply stunning.

Seriously good finishing of the layout.  The subtleties around the stone setts in particular, is very high level modelling. 

Best

Scott.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2020 at 12:35, scottystitch said:

In a world where superlatives are thrown about willy-nilly

To be honest I'm happy just to have a plain old willy-nilly superlative! I did set out with the intention of making better models and I've learned so much from this one project - including the use of clay - your comments on the cobbles are much appreaciated.

On 08/06/2020 at 11:18, 2ManySpams said:

Somebody recently liking a post I made several years ago, brought me here. It was the discussion we had about the embankment not looking quite right in relation to the canal house. That led you to replace it with the arches.

Welcome back - your comment was pivotal to making it all work. If I had stuck with the weird relationship between house and embankment I'm sure I'd be unhappy with the model. I might have ripped it out eventually but a lot of spent effort was saved and the unusual arched embankment is one of the nicest features - and true to the prototype

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 11:29, jrb said:

Just found this via your post on Facebook - don't know how I missed this thread before! Stunning work.

Is that a consequence of me being a bit chatty on Facebook of late!? Thanks for the comment - little Caledonian Basin has given me so much pleasure and challenges over the last couple of years! Wouldn't swap the time for anything else.

PS I'm now following JS Models on Facebook and look forward to seeing developments!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/07/2020 at 15:25, Matt Smith said:

I was there recently. Lovely model of the arches. How do you model the distinctive stonework, individual strips?

Hi Matt - they are simply scribed into the sheet styrene with the end of a needle file

On 30/07/2020 at 16:19, ColinW said:

I like the black & white photo's, especially the overhead one, really shows some of the details you don't notice when looking at the layout side on.

Cheers Colin - I thought it worth finding some different angles on the model.  I had avoided pointing a camera overhead until I ballasted the track as it did look a bit naff otherwise!

• 1 month later...

Visiting Sentinel 

I have a few vehicles of my father's that are getting a bit of attention - dullcoat  and a bit of weathering mostly.

One of the models is a bit of a curiosity for me - a Sentinel steam waggon. From archive photos they seemed relatively numerous in and around Aberdeen with photos recording them in operation well beyond the period I thought you'd see such things. My father certainly has memories of them in the 1950s in the harbourside.

So i popped this example (from Lledo / "Days Gone") onto the quayside at Caledonian Basin for amusement.

caledonia-basin-vehicles-01b.jpg.9f8bc521c3b3869e761df473b3e46953.jpg

caledonia-basin-vehicles-01a.jpg.b215d77a4ad5f523af0679761ac765e2.jpg

• Like 18

• 3 months later...

A change of plan!

Caledonian Basin has been neglected in the same way as my father's layout due to redundancy. Reassuringly, it's not as bleak as it sounds - well not for the foreseeable future!

It has prompted me to shake (virtual) hands with my last employer - a friend of mine - and the design agency that has kept me busy in recent years.

Next up is fulfilling an ambition to go full-time with model-making as a business!

I intend keeping threads going here on RMWeb for both commercial* and personal projects!

* I assume that is OK within the forum rules?

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

To keep the thread alive - here is some grain bound for the distillery maltings at my father's layout 'Braeside' as it passes through "Caledonian Basin. Whisky sales peak at New Year with everyone raising a glass at midnight, so the consignment will help restore the stock of maturing barrels!!

caledonian-basin (689).jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, 2020 has been a bit of a ride but I know that is true for all of us. Friends, family and fellow model-makers have provided so much support this year and I am very grateful.

This forum has provided such a great space to share the hobby and has contributed massively to me gaining the confidence to go full-time with it.

OK, my hand was forced this summer with redundancy but the progress I made over the last three years has been fuelled by the help of others. I have relied on people to point out issues, offer advice and direct me to information. I have marvelled at the talent and knowledge on offer within these threads.

So thanks all and I hope we all continue to find pleasure in this wonderful hobby.

christmas-2020-cropped.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 7