Driving 3 servos one output

Stalker

Hi,

I am looking at Megapoints Controllers to manage up to 50 points . Some are configured as two points "back to back" with an adjacent catch point. What I am wanting to do is operate one push button that will change the points and the catch point simultaneously. Dave Fenton has suggested using as route planning device that he markets. Why cant I use 2 Y leads to the servos ? Is the limitation the power output from the controller board?

Anyone ever done this ?

Kind regards

Geoff Stone

Australia

• RMweb Premium

I use servos to operate the points on my 4mm layout and do operate two off the same switch. However, I'm using the MERG CBus system which allows any number of servos to be operated by a single switch action.

I've also used two servos to operate a crossover on a DCC layout with a Tam Valley Depot controlling board.

I have used a Y connecting cable in the past.

I'd suggest that you give it a go and see what happens. Unfortunately I've experience of the Megapoints system.

From what I can see in the user manual each servo output is activated by grounding its input so to activate three servos from one switch all you need to do is connect their inputs to a single SPST switch through to ground. Doing it this way will preserve all the individual programmed movements wheras using a single output will mean all the servos will move the same amount.

Richard

Multiple servos from one control pulse could be a nightmare to setup.

If you are into diy electronics then you could use the pulse to trigger monostables and allow you to independently adjust each servo.

If not into diy, then finding a way to use one control input to trigger multiple servo outputs would bet he best solution.

If you are using servo motors that are designed to be a drop in replacement for other types of point motor which have a fixed travel you should have no trouble just using a 'Y' cable or two to split the signal as long as there is sufficient power available from the controller. Extra power can always be provided from a 5V PSU if required.

It is when you have simple servos with rigid links from the point tie bar to the servo horn that you probably want to set each motor up individually when using 'Y' cables might not be a good idea.

Normally, each servo has to have it's end points set independently as one may move differently from the others. When set up, though, you can use one switch to operate all three. On a Megapoints board you would use three individual servo outputs and program each separately, then you can use one switch wired to the three switch inputs corresponding to the servos and the other side of the switch to ground (or common).