Sign in to follow this  
farren

Comet Stanier Coaches

I've bought some very nice Comet kits to build to add to my Hornby Ex-LMS coaches so far I have the open 3rd, a CK and a 12 wheeler Restaurant. And will be getting a few more in a few weeks before I start the build.

The question is i have 5 unused set of Bachmann LMS coach bogies safely set aside are these correct for the comet kits? Or are they better for the Non-Corridor coaches? Obviously no good for the 12 wheeler. And should a Kitchen Cardiff go with the Restaurant car?

post-12485-0-43123000-1521726295_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Farren, LMS 9' WB bogies tended to be standard so if you have Bachmanns they will be correct.  They may even have better detail than the whitemetal bogies that come with the kit.  I recall that the WM tiebar is pretty useless and I replaced it with a strip of brass.  I suppose you should compare with pictures and drawings to see which you like more.  ISTR that Comet bogies have etched brass frames and that the sides are glued or soldered on.  There may be provision for compensation so if that is what you want, you can glue Bachmann bogie sides to the brass frames.

After the war, LMS bogies had a redesign where the method of construction was welded instead of rivetted.  The overall appearance didn't change but there were no rivets in view (obviously).  Welded bogies were used on the porthole stock.

I can't speak to Restaurant stock.

John

• Like 2

If its a 12 wheel car you don't need a kitchen car as well. It is in the 12 wheeler. You may need an open first to go with it for additional dining seats.

The Bachmann (old style) bogies are fine (now my preferred option for all of my LMS coach builds). If you have Comet Bogies they are OK but as said above the tiebars are awful.

These are Period III coaches. If you buy any more you need some Third class coaches as well as the odd First. Are you modelling a specific train or just a "typical" train. Details of train formations in the LMS Coaches book by Jenkinson and Essery

baz

Have you looked at the instructions as they have typical formations in them to show you what goes with what. They are also on the Comet Models website as PDFs so you can have a good look at what you may need.

As an example your Restaurant Car is a RC which is a Restaurant Composite so it doesn't need anything else, but often had a First Open and a Third Open either side to provide extra seating capacity.

From Comet's website.

Restaurant composite coaches were used in the shorter expresses or through portions of longer formations where the limited number of meals required did not warrant the use of a full kitchen and open diners. The vehicles were ‘neutral’, with the class and seating being adjusted by staff to accommodate the demand. These cars were upgraded by comparison to the earlier D1811 type, being fitted with pressure heating and ventilation.

Sample formations

Carlisle Perth 1938                                   BCK/RC/TO/BTK/BG/BG/POS

Glasgow Oban 1938                                  BCK/TK/BTK/TO/TO/RC/FO/BTK

Granite City 1949                                      TK/TK/BTK/TK/CK/CK/RC/TO/CK/BTK/BG

Granite City 1958                                      BSK/SK/FK/RC/SO/SK/SK/BSK/BG

Jason

• Like 1

I've just noticed you've already got the TO and a CK. Doh!

So you will need a couple of BTKs and possibly a couple of TKs and you've got a good representation.

As well as the LMS Coaches book it might be worth picking up a copy of these as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passenger-Train-Formations-1923-1983-LMS-LM/dp/0711016062

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Historic-Carriage-Drawings-Two-Constituents/dp/1899816062/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1521728587&sr=1-1&keywords=lms+drawings

Jason

You can't have too many books.  The carriage drawing book is very useful indeed.  I haven't got the first one.  I suppose the companion book has to be:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-LMS-Coaches-1923/dp/B002DIKBDS

John

Yes. That's the one Barry O mentions.

There was also a much expanded and updated version that went to three volumes. Unfortunately out of print and you hardly ever see them for reasonable prices on the second hand market.

Jason

I've seen volume three around but volumes one and two are very rare indeed - in fact I've never seen them.

Peterfgf

Yes. That's the one Barry O mentions.

There was also a much expanded and updated version that went to three volumes. Unfortunately out of print and you hardly ever see them for reasonable prices on the second hand market.

Jason

Oh thank you all for your help very much appreciated. And I will definitely be buying some more books. And Coaches at least another couple CK's probably one of each of the designs. The plan is two be able to make two rakes with the ability to run a express and London to Leicester local. I was going through the under the stairs cupboard looking for the bogies which must be are at my dad's! But on the plus side I found this.

post-12485-0-49621500-1521749424_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren

Yes. That's virtually the same book. I think the newer one had a few extra bits and was updated, but most of the necessary information is in there.

Jason

I have to admit I had forgotten about it. Bought some years ago before moving house and as been setting in a box since then. Got something to read now and cost nothing!

Edited by farren
  • Like 1