Bemo GE4/4III drive issues

Nutbrook

Hi all

Just after a bit of advice, I have a Bemo GE4/4III which is struggling to drive on one of its bogies (the other one is fine) Ive took the lid off and both prop shafts are turning fine so the area must be between the upper gear box (on top of the bogie) and the wheel sets. Its more noticeable at slower speeds. I think it may be driving at a higher speed.

Ill try and attach a couple of photo's

Is there any common faults I need to be awear of , the drive gears that drive the gears on the axel appear to look ok.

How do I get it apart to check things out and can I get spares if need be.

Any advice is much appreciated 

Cheers Steve............

post-33178-0-75686400-1521826700.jpg

post-33178-0-24948700-1521826722.jpg

There should be a pin that runs through the bogie that you can push out from the side of the chassis.   I've never had any problems with any of mine, but if it has been standing for a long time, maybe a clean and relube would help

• RMweb Gold

The drive shafts are most likely loose in the delrin universal joints at the bogie end. It happened to all mine leaving them struggling on gradients as they didn't spline the metal shafts. Easy fix with a dab of preferably loctite, or superglue, to lock them back together.

Just be careful not to slide the motor end joint too close to the motor or it will rub wasting power, I made up a plasticard spacer so it couldn't push on too far.

I had a 4/4 II lose drive but that was the plastic spigots in the gearbox shearing off so the gears jumped out of mesh.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 5 weeks later...

Little late, but I too had a Ge 4/4''' loosing power. Like Paul mentioned, it was caused by the UJ disengaging itself from the metal drive shaft. A friend, who'd sold the loco to me as it was his day-job back then, fixed it for me. Dunno what he used though. :no:

I;ve done a little work on this loco but as yet not seem to have cured the problem. The offending bogie has been removed from the loco and the wires unsoldered, now when I hold the wheels I can turn the prop shaft housing. I can see something going round in the top of the upright tower, so it must be between the top of the tower and the gears on the wheels, not sure how to get this to bits, think I need to remove the bogie outer frame first, has anybody got experience of this.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like Bemo share something in common with Ajin. Ajin were probably the worlds pre-eminent manufacturers of brass models and worked to astonishing levels of detail and finish. Even today I don't think regular RTR comes close to the standards achieved by Ajin in terms of detail (and especially finish) over 30 years ago however they were notorious for having flaky drives as a result of plastic universal joints on the drive shaft failing. You see many Ajin models (they built for many of the worlds high end brass suppliers, probably most famously Overland) advertised as having upgraded drives with soldered on brass balls. They also used an unusual drive arrangement with gear boxes which look like traction motors and avoided the block appearance which can detract from most diesel and electric models if viewed in side elevation.

Thanks

Yes remove the plastic bogie frame and the wheels drop out and you can take one half of the gearbox off. It may be the spigots the gears are on then. I had two go in a 4/4 II and had to get a new gearbox moulding.
http://www.bemo-modellbahn.de/fileadmin/bemo/files/produktblaetter/1259_100_999.pdf

Thanks for the answers guys, so this morning I bit the bullet and stripped down the gear box thingy ( difficult on something I can bearly see in the first place) and there's the answer. The gear below the red one has a few teeth missing (like its owner) and so I need a new one. Has anybody got one in there spares box I can scrounge purchase. Failing that where do I get one from, I can see its part No 48 on Pauls attached parts list.

post-33178-0-85564400-1524559947.jpg

post-33178-0-14224700-1524559973.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've only got some for the 4/4II left I'm afraid and they are different to that one. Try Bemo direct through the website or if you can get the gear set code try asking Modelbahnshoplippe to get it

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/gruppenliste/Additional+Parts/37-11-0-0-001005002-0-0-0-0-0-0-grp-gb-p-0/gruppenliste.html

This is all I have but yours looks to be a thin single gear.

post-6968-0-87454700-1524561294_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB

Sounds like Bemo share something in common with Ajin. Ajin were probably the worlds pre-eminent manufacturers of brass models and worked to astonishing levels of detail and finish. Even today I don't think regular RTR comes close to the standards achieved by Ajin in terms of detail (and especially finish) over 30 years ago however they were notorious for having flaky drives as a result of plastic universal joints on the drive shaft failing. You see many Ajin models (they built for many of the worlds high end brass suppliers, probably most famously Overland) advertised as having upgraded drives with soldered on brass balls. They also used an unusual drive arrangement with gear boxes which look like traction motors and avoided the block appearance which can detract from most diesel and electric models if viewed in side elevation.

Ajin/Aijin use crossed-helical boxes in a good many of their final drives. Anyone who has the FIA Trains LMS "Twins" diesels will have those boxes in them.

Is it possible to find out what the overall diameter of the Bemo gear is (including the teeth) across the undamaged section, plus the measurement between axle centres? You need a 12-tooth spur - possibly MOD0.5 - so if no joy obtaining the original Bemo plastic spur gear, then a search on eBay amongst the Chinese suppliers might turn up something equivalent (that's how I found some of the Heljan diesel bogie spur gears).

I've only got some for the 4/4II left I'm afraid and they are different to that one. Try Bemo direct through the website or if you can get the gear set code try asking Modelbahnshoplippe to get it

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/gruppenliste/Additional+Parts/37-11-0-0-001005002-0-0-0-0-0-0-grp-gb-p-0/gruppenliste.html

This is all I have but yours looks to be a thin single gear.

Does anybody have the contact E mail address for Bemo parts, cannot seem to find it on there web site

Modellbahn shop do not do spare parts and advised me to contact Bemo direct

Bit late (due to failing browsers et all) but I happen to have the parts catalogue Bemo once released (ages ago) and I'll see if I can get you the correct part number. May take a fair while before I get round to it, but if you're not too much in a hurry?

Thanks DM but I have the parts list off Pauls attached PDF on post 6 of this thread, I just need Bemo's E mail address to send them a request.

Steve.........

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody have the contact E mail address for Bemo parts, cannot seem to find it on there web site

Modellbahn shop do not do spare parts and advised me to contact Bemo direct

They seem to have made it a lot more difficult to find contact information than when I bought parts directly from them (in 2015).

Response was very slow, even though I wrote in German.

I've had a rummage around the nether regions of the latest pages of their latest site and found this page which contains an email address, sitting within the depths of the site map. Give it a try!

They seem to have made it a lot more difficult to find contact information than when I bought parts directly from them (in 2015).

Response was very slow, even though I wrote in German.

I've had a rummage around the nether regions of the latest pages of their latest site and found this page which contains an email address, sitting within the depths of the site map. Give it a try!

Thanks DIW, It was sooo difficult to find any address on there web site, I have now sent them a E mail, we'll see what happens.