Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Always wanted a rake of these. Hopefully in original livery otherwise I will have some repainting to do. I am sure they will do livery variations in due course. Good to see inner and outer wagons being done too.

Excellent - if they are as good as the Slurry tanks & Sand hoppers then a treat in store - how many in a Jumbo ??

Quite a few:

post-7271-0-85413300-1521977136_thumb.jpg

This was only a 3300 ton one with 59102 on the front when I went on a cabride. There are some different hoppers in the middle, but the front and rear is purely JHAs.

I think that these are a good move by Dapol, hopefully other hoppers will follow, although the price is a bit steep, considering the MJA twins are £50.

Simon

I was hoping for the JNA used by ARC / Hanosn and National Power as they could do them in three liveries for the 59.

Yet another manufacturer who has produced a NP 59 with nothing for it to pull. I better get converting the Bachmann HHAs to JMA's. Although i do fancy some of these wagons.

Regards

Darryl

• RMweb Premium

JHA, you mean? JNAs are the Network Rail 'Falcon' box wagons and I don't think were used as a TOPS code on anything ARC/Hanson have used, particularly the latter, I think they only have JHAs? They were Powell-Duffryn built, with LTF25 bogies, as opposed to the O&K ones Dapol are doing.

As you say, JMAs are basically HHAs with LTF bogies.

Interestingly there's a NP HJA (which I think is just a recoded JHA) in the cripple siding at Crawley New Yard at the moment. Very faded and scratched, but unmistakably NP livery.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

You've got a lot of extra complexity with the handrails around the walkway on one end. Given what good value the HIAs are it's perhaps a bit of added complexity coupled with a 're-baselining' of prices given we're a few years on from the HIA's announcement.

The more I think about it the more I think the Powell Duffryn version would actually have made more sense - ARC, revised ARC, Hanson, National Power. With the Yeoman ones you're limited to two variants of Yeoman livery and haulage by fewer variant of 59.

You've got a lot of extra complexity with the handrails around the walkway on one end. Given what good value the HIAs are it's perhaps a bit of added complexity coupled with a 're-baselining' of prices given we're a few years on from the HIA's announcement.

They also have the inset stairs and recessed various bits in the side sheeting. Is it a new bogie?  Appears to be a complex model to produce.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Not in the present day, we see 59/0, 1 & 2 hauling these on the Botley flow.

Rare to catch them in daylight though ;)

Fair enough, there's often a rake of them with a DB 59 at Purley, in daylight! Only ever seen the DB or Bardon 59s on them though. So was thinking you'd get those and the Yeoman ones. Not much use for ARC, Hanson or National Power locos. The latter is a curious one - I remember Lima offering one in the mid 90s, and there was really nothing for them to haul then. At least you've got a vague chance with HHAs now!

• RMweb Gold

They run on the Botley flow a lot which runs at 10pm and 04:30, and quite often early, through Salisbury so usually in the dark which is why I have few pictures of them. So they are sat in the yards in daylight ;)

I've seen Yeoman, Agg Ind, EWS, DBS Badged and Full DBS. The 59/2's have been on it a lot of late when I've seen it.

All 3 subclasses of 59 could work a Mendip train indiscriminately. EWS and DB livery 66s often work portions across London. 60s seem to come to Wiltshire in fits and starts. We haven't had one for about a year, but at one point about 18 months back there were 3 in the area. I've photographed all of the above loco types on the Wootton Bassett over the last couple of years

As for the earlier mentions of the National Power hoppers, there's more detail variations between those and the Hanson ARC JHAs than apparent at first glance. We had them (well rebogied as HJA) a while back on a couple of local flows for a bit.

If people have more questions about the Mendip operations I'll do my best to answer

Jo

• Like 1

Hi,

I saw over on the Dapol Digest Forum that when asked about other aggregate wagons, Dapol have said they intend to release types of aggregate wagon in time.

One question I have is do the JHAs work in 'sets' and if so, do these have an average length (i.e. two outers sandwiching a numbers of inners)?

Simon

They look very similar to the bogies on the VTG telescopic hood wagons, also made by Dapol.

The bogies were O&K’s own interpretation of the standard bogie found in Germany but upgraded for 25.5 tonne axleloads, and required spacing. Hence its resemblance to the ones used under Cargowaggon/VTG Ferrywagon hoods, sliding wall vans, and flats.