Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2019 at 10:36, Lyddrail said:

Rich,

It looks like the side might be able to be swapped to give you both liveries.

Cheers.

If they follow the same method of assembly as the HIA hoppers - the sides are screwed onto a central "spine".

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see that Hattons are showcasing the livery samples that they've received.  Unfortunately though they only seem to have samples of the older livery although they look pretty good to me.

3 hours ago, Winter123 said:

So now it looks like it's just the original livery. I'm confused after seeing the exhibition photos illustrating both. Does anyone know more about it?

Its two outers and three inners in both the original and revised livery, they just haven't got fully assembled samples in the later livery yet.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, daz9284 said:

looking on retailers websites the pictures are of the revised livery and there is no difference in product description so I'm sure sure which livery will be going on sale.

Original Yeoman

Outers - 4F-050-001, 4F-050-002

Inners - 4F-050-101, 4F-050-102, 4F-050-103

Revised Yeoman

Outers - 4F-050-003, 4F-050-004

Inners - 4F-050-104, 4F-050-105, 4F-050-106

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hopefully not, as the Hanson wagons are totally different. The only thing they have in common is that they're JHAs and 102t gross really!

Only liveries these have carried are the two Yeoman liveries, and plain silver or black patched over graffiti

The wagon looks nice overall, though some of the buffer beam detail looks out of proportion (as opposed to a tooling compromise), but that's a very minor comment. Just would be nice to be perfect at 55/45 quid a wagon, and I noticed as I spend a lot of time around the real things

As I said previously, please shrink them Dapol!

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Can you run both livery's together.

for example, a rake of 2 outers 4 inners of the original livery plus 2 outers 4 inners of the revised livery. Total rake of 12 wagons.

Also can you mix the two liveries within an outer and inner set.

Does any one have any links to photo evidence.

Cheers D7100.

Yes there would have been mixed sets. I highly doubt you'd have have half and half, the two liveries would be mixed together. 

Not got a photo to hand, but it would have happened as you can't repaint a hundred wagons over a weekend!

Edit: try this, 1998

58006-Wanstrow.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Yes there would have been mixed sets. I highly doubt you'd have have half and half, the two liveries would be mixed together. 

Not got a photo to hand, but it would have happened as you can't repaint a hundred wagons over a weekend!

58006-Wanstrow.

Jo

Cheers steadfast.

Appreciate the info.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

58006-Wanstrow.

Jo

I love how that is described as a short set of hoppers in the description.  18 hoppers still sounds pretty long from a model perspective!

4 hours ago, njee20 said:

Also most trains are a lot longer than 12 wagons, so a literal half and half as you’ve suggested is extremely unlikely. 

Thanks,  I understand that,  as has been mentioned earlier in the thread the jumbos start out as 40 + wagons and then split according to final destinations.

I made reference to a 12 wagon consist as this would be as much as I would be able to accommodate in the space I have available.

So I would be modelling an onward portion that admittedly would be somewhat of a compromise in terms of wagon numbers, but I imagine  a fair few modellers would also be so challenged regarding available space.

thanks again D7100.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anyone heard any whispers or rumors as to how progress is going with these wagons and when we might start to see them in the shops?

Ive got 8 of the RevolutioN JNA's and have decided 12 is probably a realistic length to model in 00 scale, one more set of 4 when I next visit those nice chaps at Kernow MC, Guildford and I will be done with them (unless I decide to get a rake of GBRf ones to model the Southampton Gypsum train) and looking to start building a rake of 12 O&K wagons before the 59s arrive?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its all gone very quiet I must say.  Like you, i'm looking forward to combining them with some of the Revolution JNA's for a nice stone train.  Hopefully Dapol will give some sort of update once normality has returned to the world.

• 1 month later...

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs. The Dapol JHAs will be a good start, but we could do with more boxes!  I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 21/03/2020 at 22:55, GEARJAMMER said:

Has anyone heard any whispers or rumors as to how progress is going with these wagons and when we might start to see them in the shops?

Ive got 8 of the RevolutioN JNA's and have decided 12 is probably a realistic length to model in 00 scale, one more set of 4 when I next visit those nice chaps at Kernow MC, Guildford and I will be done with them (unless I decide to get a rake of GBRf ones to model the Southampton Gypsum train) and looking to start building a rake of 12 O&K wagons before the 59s arrive?

There's been an update on the Dapol digest page. They are next in line aftet the turbot wagons have been made. They also said they are planning to release these around the same time as the 59 just no actual dates given.

Edited by gary_lner

Prompted by Gary's post, I went on to the Rails site. Do we know which version of the livery these will be in in the initial release? If more than one, then which Dapol stock code corresponds to which livery?

EDIT: just found this on the Digest site:

BatchPartInner/Running

NumberOuterNumberLivery

20184F-050-001Outer19303Yeoman EARLY

20184F-050-002Outer19311Yeoman EARLY

20184F-050-003Outer19306Yeoman LATE

20184F-050-004Outer19313Yeoman LATE

20184F-050-101Inner19335Yeoman EARLY

20184F-050-102Inner19337Yeoman EARLY

20184F-050-103Inner19349Yeoman EARLY

20184F-050-104Inner19361Yeoman LATE

20184F-050-105Inner19370Yeoman LATE

20184F-050-106Inner19398Yeoman LATE

EDIT2: I was also trying to work out the ratio of outer:inner wagons. It's 1:4. There were 100 built, 20 outers (19300-319) and 80 inners (19320-399). So for a ten wagon rake, it would make sense to buy two outers and 8 inners.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

@lyneux

Don't worry too much about the fixed ratio Guy, if you want two sets of outers and six inners do it! Don't forget there'll be some out for maintenance and very few depots take a set of 20. The smallest group I've seen is two outers back to back at one end of a set, ie outer, outer, outer, inners, outer. No doubt someone at an exhibition will come up with "I think you'll find that's wrong..." but really it's pretty much anything goes so long as the depot gets its order. Certain depots may need to have a set of outers midway down the train to allow for shunting when offloading. 

Jo

Jo, the outers are £10 more than the inners so it's more a question of: how many inners can I get away with before it's no longer prototypical. At the moment, I'm running rakes of 10-12 wagons on Whatley so I'll probably just settle for a single pair of outers. I've got a couple of the Intercity Models outers to use too.

Guy

IMG_4005_web.jpg.884ff08c6036c4f0e052f82da66212c8.jpg

• Like 8