Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

23 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Jo, the outers are £10 more than the inners so it's more a question of: how many inners can I get away with before it's no longer prototypical. At the moment, I'm running rakes of 10-12 wagons on Whatley so I'll probably just settle for a single pair of outers. I've got a couple of the Intercity Models outers to use too.

Guy

IMG_4005_web.jpg.884ff08c6036c4f0e052f82da66212c8.jpg

You do have a lovely layout, do you have a YouTube channel to follow?...lol I sound like a stalker :jester:

Edited by classy52

On 27/05/2020 at 12:40, Steadfast said:

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs. The Dapol JHAs will be a good start, but we could do with more boxes!  I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

Thanks for that Steadfast, knew about the Fareham, Eastleigh and Botley trains as they are local to me, good to have the rough consists of the other trains though, thanks.

• Like 1

The red Toaux boxes are getting mixed into everything. Normally there's a lot of rotation of wagons, but in the last month or so sets have stuck to the same trips generally, presumably due to reduced demand with coronavirus meaning wagons can afford to sit and wait to reload for the next trip to that depot, rather than being reloaded for the next trip to depart Merehead.

The Woking has generally been formed of 17 of the new Ealnos JNAs, mainly Touax, with a few silver VTG ones, but there was once or twice that a right mish mash of wagons went on it, including Touax ones and the old O&Ks, along with the Nacco JNAs.

Jo

On 30/05/2020 at 21:26, Steadfast said:

The red Toaux boxes are getting mixed into everything. Normally there's a lot of rotation of wagons, but in the last month or so sets have stuck to the same trips generally, presumably due to reduced demand with coronavirus meaning wagons can afford to sit and wait to reload for the next trip to that depot, rather than being reloaded for the next trip to depart Merehead.

The Woking has generally been formed of 17 of the new Ealnos JNAs, mainly Touax, with a few silver VTG ones, but there was once or twice that a right mish mash of wagons went on it, including Touax ones and the old O&Ks, along with the Nacco JNAs.

Jo

I really wish everyone would stop calling them 'red' Toaux wagons.... They just look brown to me, lol.

I noticed a youtube video the other day with 59002 pulling a rake of brand new hopper wagons, also in the Toaux livery. Im not sure what they were though, im tempted to say HOI hoppers but I don't think they were?

If we're talking personal opinions I'd say they're red oxide, especially before Merehead and Whatley chuck their produxt down the sides of them. But if you want to say brown, they're a very red brown, if they are brown. 

The new hoppers are TOPS coded HOA, but are fundamentally the same design as the earlier Nacco IIA wagons. They appear to be identical, apart from paint, to the VTG HOAs delivered last year (the unpainted ones, not the ones Revolution have done)

Jo

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

We can but hope although Dapols announcement of the delay in the 59s doesn't instill much confidence that these will be available before England next win the World Cup!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...only the "classic" Foster Yeoman scheme...so what's happened to the later version?

EDIT - Dapol site suggests they are doing the later ones, but is this old info or have Hattons got it wrong? Also not seen any images of the later livery.

20201015_113157.jpg.60e458382837308d1a1c1dce32e6b372.jpg

Edited by SouthernMafia

36 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

...only the "classic" Foster Yeoman scheme...so what's happened to the later version?

EDIT - Dapol site suggests they are doing the later ones, but is this old info or have Hattons got it wrong? Also not seen any images of the later livery.

I'm hoping hattons just havnt put later on product codes. I went to the Dapol catalogue to conform what ones are the later version and the running numbers do match what hattons have got so that's what I've ordered. I do remember seeing a image of one of the sides for the later versions just not a completed wagon.

42 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Found it. It's on page 3 in this thread and the number on it matches what hattons have. Just not named it as a later version 

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

So in answer to my own question, I have been doing some research which may help others.

After the formation of Mendip Rail in 1993 with the amalgamation of Yeoman & ARC there was dialogue about rebranding.

A decision was made in 1998 to introduce a new livery & subsequently three of the class 59's were painted in the new livery at Marcroft Engineerings facility at Stoke-on-Trent.

I am therefore assuming the wagons would of been re-branded at a similar time (but quite happy to be corrected on this).

Hope this helps.

Edited by CB Rail
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I have dug out an image from my visit to 

the Old Oak Common open day back in Aug 2000.

This shows the Yeoman O. & K. Hopper in the revised livery.

Just behind can be made out a PTA Tippler in Yeoman livery too.

Apologies for the quality as it a photo of a photo.

7D70987D-0517-4736-9366-393EB983350D.jpeg

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Some clarification required.....

With the pending launch of these Yeoman wagons I understand the original livery was 1988/9 but I am looking for clarification on when the later livery was introduced....

If I wanted to answer this question, I would go to Google or Flickr and type in 'Yeoman XXXX' (where XXXX is a year) and then look at the pictures dated accordingly to find out. If you do this you'll find that the answer is some time between mid-1997 and mid-1998.

I hope that helps!

Guy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lyneux said:

If I wanted to answer this question, I would go to Google or Flickr and type in 'Yeoman XXXX' (where XXXX is a year) and then look at the pictures dated accordingly to find out. If you do this you'll find that the answer is some time between mid-1997 and mid-1998.

I hope that helps!

Guy

Easier still, in Flickr you can set a search filter on the date range that you are interested in, very useful.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi All,

Thanks for the information & I am sure people will find this informative.

Personally, I have previously looked on Google & although images can be found, putting a precise timeline on the re-livery of these wagons proved inconclusive.

I have just had a look on Flickr & can only see images of the class 59 or other Yeoman wagon variants - Doh!

Anyhow, through my investigation, I have determined which version of the Dapol wagon is best suited to my time lines so have placed my order.

Stay Safe people & thanks again to Lyneux & Roy.