Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Given most of the cost of a new product is the development and tooling, which is already sunk*, it's probably worth them producing another batch and getting some income, rather than wait an indeterminate period of time for this lot to be released.

Getting the production slots might be an issue there though.

*see what I did there

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Given most of the cost of a new product is the development and tooling, which is already sunk*, it's probably worth them producing another batch and getting some income, rather than wait an indeterminate period of time for this lot to be released.

Getting the production slots might be an issue there though.

*see what I did there

*No, give us a clue.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Wouldn't want to rock the boat by helping explain... oops!

Reminds me of a wartime joke about a US warship and a Canadian lighthouse...

Nighttime, no radar, seeing a light the US warship orders the other vessel to make a course correction, under condition of force if neccessary... on the radio the voice reverts US Warship, we are a lighthouse.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Reminds me of a wartime joke about a US warship and a Canadian lighthouse...

Nighttime, no radar, seeing a light the US warship orders the other vessel to make a course correction, under condition of force if neccessary... on the radio the voice reverts US Warship, we are a lighthouse.

Never happened sadly - https://www.britishpathe.com/gallery/urban-legend/2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Never said it did.. I said..

Reminds me of a wartime joke about a US warship and a Canadian lighthouse...

And I heard it a long time before 1995, but maybe that was the time someone first wrote it on the internet.. its gone around for decades... 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

The sums involved are astronomical - the bill from the Egyptians equates to £36K per container on board. How that will get split between the owners of the ship, insurance and the owners of the goods, who knows...

Frightening.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

The sums involved are astronomical - the bill from the Egyptians equates to £36K per container on board. How that will get split between the owners of the ship, insurance and the owners of the goods, who knows...

Frightening.

Roy

The longer it goes, the larger the legal fees to.. 18k containers might have 18k lawyers, and a similar army of lawyers with the handler who has to put this thing together, and then defend in Egypt.

GA relies on all 18k container owners having sufficient cover, those policies will have insured limits. If it exceeds that, finding the difference may get trickier.

If this gets to 6 months, I wonder if it ends up being abandoned, as a total loss or write off as the cheaper option.

Edited by adb968008

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The longer it goes, the larger the legal fees to.. 18k containers might have 18k lawyers, and a similar army of lawyers with the handler who has to put this thing together, and then defend in Egypt.

GA relies on all 18k container owners having sufficient cover, those policies will have insured limits. If it exceeds that, finding the difference may get trickier.

If this gets to 6 months, I wonder if it ends up being abandoned, as a total loss or write off as the cheaper option.

It’ll make a welcome change from nicking grave goods for the Egyptians. :D

There was a chap on radio 4 yesterday who has 2 40ft containers of garden equipment on the ship worth £400k. He's been told by his insurer that his share of the bill he has to stump up is £242k to get his gear delivered!

He doesn't know what he's going to do.

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake x 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, KDG said:

There was a chap on radio 4 yesterday who has 2 40ft containers of garden equipment on the ship worth £400k. He's been told by his insurer that his share of the bill he has to stump up is £242k to get his gear delivered!

He doesn't know what he's going to do.

That seems grossly unfair, why should the customer who had no involvement in the ship crashing have to pay anything?

Surely a quick solution is for Evergreen to get two ships to drop anchor each end of the canal and say to Egypt, nothing moves until we get our ship back. Maybe backed up by a Chinese war ship, or even better, some European and US warships. 

Will probably never happen but might make Egypt realise that not only are the pi$$ing off Evergreen by holding their ship to ransum but also many other countries by holding onto their containers and the goods inside them.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2021 at 10:32, SouthernMafia said:

That seems grossly unfair, why should the customer who had no involvement in the ship crashing have to pay anything?

It’s kinda weird that the insurer are asking the customer to pay, but almost certainly down to the nuances of his insurance. 

As above - (oversimplification) general average is when people who haven’t suffered a loss have to contribute to offset the cost of those who have. It’s only employed in certain circumstances, effectively the logic is “Your container wasn’t pushed overboard to stop the ship sinking, but can you stump up to cover the cost of those that were”. It’s not that often used, it complicates claims immeasurably. 

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Surely a quick solution is for Evergreen to get two ships to drop anchor each end of the canal and say to Egypt, nothing moves until we get our ship back. Maybe backed up by a Chinese war ship, or even better, some European and US warships. 

Will probably never happen but might make Egypt realise that not only are the pi$$ing off Evergreen by holding their ship to ransum but also many other countries by holding onto their containers and the goods inside them.

So Evergreen will have three ships impounded instead of one; perhaps with more of our vital model railway supplies on board. :o We can’t send a gunship – they’re busy dealing with the French.

• Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...