Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

The Rails of Sheffield announcement pegs them as a "new announcement". I reckon they're writing off the batch on the Ever Given, and starting again.

Except they have product codes that run on from the first batch. Dapol are known to do second runs soon after the first. They may end up as the first releases if the dispute drags on.

• RMweb Gold

Theres no guarantee the condition of the goods once the ship docks.

A container at sea will be relatively cool during a few week voyage, but at this stage after a few months in arid desert heat everything will be nice and toasty...

it doesnt take much to warp plastic in heat... i once lost a model in the garden in sunlight.. it just suddenly started folding up creased and shrivelled in a few seconds.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Daft question but what is the difference between the early version and later version? as I can’t see anything clearly from the pictures on rails site

Dapol often do other runs simply with different running numbers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Daft question but what is the difference between the early version and later version? as I can’t see anything clearly from the pictures on rails site

I should imagine livery, but the photos don't show this as it's just a 'catalogue image'. 

Early Yeoman is the silver wagon with thin blue stripe, late Yeoman has the broad blue band along the centre. It was around 1998 they changed over, the detail is in this thread a few pages back.

Jo

The images on the likes of Rails of Sheffield show the wagon in 'early' livery, which I think is applicable until around 2000?

Wagons in 'later' version of Yeoman livery look like this:

JHA No.OK 19392

(Not mine, click to go to Flickr)

They're still in use in this colour scheme, though looking pretty rough around the edges and heavily graffitied. I took these shots last week, wagons were part of 7A17 Merehead Quarry to Acton.

1193098133_JHA-01.jpg.b1b7c3f29b3ea5d22f15f8e4126be8f9.jpg

1596927240_JHA-02.jpg.a568b33fcd8176fff708cf21fa6b6d3e.jpg

Andy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Emerging news today, a la Bloomberg, is that preliminary agreement has been reached between the vessel owners/cargo insurers and the Suez Canal authority on the level of compensation. This could lead to an early release of the vessel.

• Like 3

On 23/06/2021 at 13:43, rembrow said:

Emerging news today, a la Bloomberg, is that preliminary agreement has been reached between the vessel owners/cargo insurers and the Suez Canal authority on the level of compensation. This could lead to an early release of the vessel.

Until the containers are unloaded at their respective destinations I'd not be getting excited. 

• RMweb Gold

Very true Guy

:) It does indeed depend on where the container was located. They might indeed be damaged by the heat. Maybe that is what happened to my BDA.

Eamon

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Very true Guy

:) It does indeed depend on where the container was located. They might indeed be damaged by the heat.

What? No aircon in shipping containers?

Cheapskates................

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Bob83a said:

So the Ever Given is on the move. Dapol should get the models in 2-3 weeks or so, when they can inspect them.

Apparently the vessel will have further safety checks, once clear of Suez, at Port Said, before proceeding to Rotterdam and Felixstowe.

'Left hand down a bit Number One, NOOO not that way!!!' For those who remember The Navy Lark.

Edited by rembrow
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 21:18, Craig1989 said:

I think thats the burning question on a lot of minds,i hope the later are just the Y off yeoman and some Hanson branded ones would be nice,time will tell,the heat might have lifted the transfers........

• 2 weeks later...

Ever Given scheduled to arrive in Filexstowe on the 3rd August, assuming no further delays, but it was stopped for a couple of days off Sicily. So models should arrive at Dapol in the second or 3rd week of August.

It appears that Dapol have told some dealers that they should get supplies in August, that is assuming that the Models have not suffered due to the baking while in Egypt.

• 4 weeks later...

An RM web member has advised on the Dapol O gauge Class 121/122 thread, that Tower Models have advised that Dapol has received the 'O' gauge Class 122 railcars, that were stuck on the Ever Given, so presumably they also have the O&K Hoppers as they must have been in the same container. They will presumably go through quality checks first, due to the risk of heat damage while stuck in Suez. 

Addition: I've looked at the Tower Models website and they have also advised that quality checks on the Class 122s for decoration, running and circuitry have all been ok so far.

Edited by rembrow
Additional info
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking at the photos on the Rails email, it looks like Dapol have used the shades of the revised livery on both versions. The earlier version should have a lighter silver and a darker blue. Anyone seen the models side by side to confirm?

Jo

I think I have the paint specs for these from a certain person (who I think we both know) who commissioned them. But yes, agree Jo, the blue does look a bit light in the Rails photos (could be the lighting though). I think the silver should actually be darker.

Here's one of Hugh Searle's pics from Flickr when they were new:

458-33 O&K hoppers Merehead 19091989

I was going to paint my Intercity models ones the same shade to match...

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Is it perhaps the silver they've used doesn't have the reflectivity of the silver used on the original livery? I know such things are hard to scale on a model, but the original livery is definitely brighter than the revised scheme.

Whatever, it doesn't look right!

The revised livery wagons don't look bad.

Jo