Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

Well, having read through 10 pages of this thread, I now know where to come to if I need any expert advice on international shipping insurance and how to run a small model railway manufacturing company :O :D

Can anyone confirm when the Original livery / revised livery transition started / ended? 

• Funny 4

16 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

Can anyone confirm when the Original livery / revised livery transition started / ended? 

Sorry wrong thread, this one is about international shipping insurance and how to run a small model railway manufacturing company.

Best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

9 hours ago, wirey33 said:

Well, having read through 10 pages of this thread, I now know where to come to if I need any expert advice on international shipping insurance and how to run a small model railway manufacturing company :O :D

1998 was the bulk of the crossover. Think some were repainted very late 1997.

1998 it was. Brain fart by me, see Si's comment below.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

2 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

First JHAs were repainted April 1998, same time as 59005.

Indeed correct, I had it in my head I'd seen a photo of the odd on or two earlier, but Easter 98 it was.

It's amazing how quickly the fleet was repainted, mind you it's not really a surprise as Yeoman employed someone to wash the wagons at weekends so branding and appearance was obviously important to the company.

Sights like these didn't last long (linked from Flickr).

58006-Wanstrow.

158820 17.05.1998

It'd be interesting to know more about mixed sets like this, presumably Merehead was short of wagons and borrowed some from Whatley. Ordinarily, sets stayed together when this happened. It's 7A17 Merehead - Acton according to the caption, which I wouldn't doubt knowing the photographer.

59101 5 240698

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

I presume all the outer wagons have one set of buffers and a tail lamp fitted on one end.

I wonder if the tail lamp is removable as against the loco the lead wagon is not going to look right ? 

Just received mine and they are stunning models.

The tail lights are indeed removable and also run from track current with the option to control from a 6 pin DCC chip.  I'll get a full review up on my Tileford You Tube channel later on today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for making and sharing the video @Mooresby, good to see the wagons up close.

One thing that jumped out is that the tail lamp flashes aren't particularly convincing. Nit picking perhaps, but if they're going to the effort and fitting it and charging a premium for those so fitted? The real lamps flash twice a second, and are off for a greater period than they are on. So in each one second cycle it will be flash wait wait wait flash wait wait wait, if that makes sense.

a good video that shows the pattern is here, around 6 mins in as the 37 tails the train away from the camera. (Turn the sound down, loud level crossing sirens!)

The deco of the models looks good, one or two little errors but on the whole not bad at all. Plenty of of room for customisation and replacing decals with alternative typefaces etc, but this is on a wagon by wagon basis - study photos of the real ones! The main thing, the Yeoman logo looks great.

The varying yellow on the axle boxes will be down to the factory or Dapol, the only variation on the real thing is if the fitter used a different pot of paint. It doesn't signify anything.

Finally, if people want a nice prototypical rake, don't feel you have to buy in multiples of five - often a train of say 20 wagons may only have one pair of outers, conversely a set may also convey multiple inners coupled buffer to buffer within a longer set. Any other questions about the operation of them please fire away, I've spent a lot my day job dealing with the real things

Jo

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here's a real consist from the Wootton Basset train. Outers are 19300-319, in bold below. 

So you can see there's no fixed pattern to this set.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 22/08/2021 at 12:22, Steadfast said:

Thanks for making and sharing the video @Mooresby, good to see the wagons up close.

One thing that jumped out is that the tail lamp flashes aren't particularly convincing. Nit picking perhaps, but if they're going to the effort and fitting it and charging a premium for those so fitted? The real lamps flash twice a second, and are off for a greater period than they are on. So in each one second cycle it will be flash wait wait wait flash wait wait wait, if that makes sense.

a good video that shows the pattern is here, around 6 mins in as the 37 tails the train away from the camera. (Turn the sound down, loud level crossing sirens!)

Agree on the tail lamp flash - it's annoying it's not correct (Accurascale did the same). It can be done with a small circuit running direct off the DCC track power:

Having said that, did @Mooresbyturn it on and off by magic!? Now that is clever.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Now that looks spot on, @SouthernMafia

I figured the technology must exist since the real ones have been doing it for decades!

Jo

There are decoders that can have a function output set to flash or strobe with individually set on/off times.

I've used a couple of "old" decoders where the motor drive circuit may have fried, but the function outputs still work.

• Agree 1

I know it's probably nitpicking but I've just noticed on the video that there is a colour difference on the two wagons in this capture of the bearing covers and lifting points, wondered whether it is the difference between an inner and outer wagon, I guess it may even be right to prototype ?

The wagon on the right is an Inner.

image.png.59bc70dba2e746309756e63511f3a83b.png

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/08/2021 at 12:22, Steadfast said:

The varying yellow on the axle boxes will be down to the factory or Dapol, the only variation on the real thing is if the fitter used a different pot of paint. It doesn't signify anything.

5 posts previously I'd covered that in reply to Mooresby's video @martin_l_jones

I'd file it under error, either Dapol or the factory.

At the moment quite a few real ones seem to be rocking black axle boxes anyway.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

There are decoders that can have a function output set to flash or strobe with individually set on/off times.

I've used a couple of "old" decoders where the motor drive circuit may have fried, but the function outputs still work.

Or just use a 555 and make the circuit yourself for peanuts Mick?

Guy

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Or just use a 555 and make the circuit yourself for peanuts Mick?

Guy

Quite possibly, but waste not/want not.

And I have a tail lamp I can turn on/off with a DCC address.

Hi All,

Just dropping in for a couple of things...

These wagons ARE amazing in my view and exceptionally well thought out. The only thing I would say is they are extremely heavy! I reckon at least twice the weight of the Bachmann JGA wagon, (remember those?) but they roll a lot further and without any problems. The release lever apparatus for the knuckle couplings are a nice touch!

I'm hoping to put a rake of 18 together, representing the 'Purley' workings but I suspect even empty, these will be a challenge for even the most capable model modern traction!

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
Removal of daft question!

On 26/08/2021 at 10:19, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just need someone to do transfer for wagon numbers and long rake of different number wagons would be possible, just one number either side of current models would do as they are graffiti over everything but the numbers it seems.

That's one good thing about Dapol they release many versions of the same wagons but with different running numbers.

If you take the HIA Hoppers for instance there have been twelve green and six white wagons released so far and six more to come...

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2021 at 18:43, Shedmaster said:

Hi All,

Just dropping in for a couple of things...

These wagons ARE amazing in my view and exceptionally well thought out. The only thing I would say is they are extremely heavy! I reckon at least twice the weight of the Bachmann JGA wagon, (remember those?) but they roll a lot further and without any problems. The release lever apparatus for the knuckle couplings are a nice touch!

I'm hoping to put a rake of 18 together, representing the 'Purley' workings but I suspect even empty, these will be a challenge for even the most capable model modern traction!

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Sounds like a job for a Hattons 66,with the motor off a DeWalt drill..........

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Anybody had any issues with the close couplers, the buckeye on one of my wagons seems to be permanently open and fails to couple with the next wagon, looks like there is a brown spring missing which is on all the others. 

20210909_203002.jpg

Yes, I've found one just like you........

Keith