Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I guess this coupling issue may have something to do with the ship hitting the side of the canal,depends on where the container was on ship,just seems strange so many having same issue.

I don't know...the coupling spring pinging out is pretty standard on the N scale Buckeyes from Dapol!

Jo

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

I don't know...the coupling spring pinging out is pretty standard on the N scale Buckeyes from Dapol!

Jo

Agreed. I thought that I might replace the standard couplers with Dapol’s on my narrow gauge stuff but they all fell apart when I opened the packet. I gave up the idea. On the other hand, the couplers seem to be holding together on my JHAs, although they have had limited use.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2021 at 00:02, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I guess this coupling issue may have something to do with the ship hitting the side of the canal,depends on where the container was on ship,just seems strange so many having same issue.

I tried to fit a replacement spring from a Kadee but it was just not easy to access. Easy enough to remove and refit the spring on a Kadee off the wagon, but I tried removing the coupler from the wagon but it was a really tight fit into the pocket and wonder weather that might be the cause of the spring issue, dislodging during the actual assembly process.

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I bought an inner wagon to measure up for sets of decals, seems quite a nice model all in. Has anyone else noticed the relationship between the axle boxes and the wheel sets? They're definitely not aligned, presumably to lower the flanges under the wagon. It looks so odd once you spot it. Most wagons have a recessed floor to allow for flanges, whereas Dapol have gone for a flat floor and lowering the wheelsets. Once you notice, you can't unsee it and it looks like the N model is similarly afflicted

Jo

Hi All,

Picked up my rake of these in original livery earlier today.

Very impressed with these & worth mentioning the weight too. If people decide to load these, it will certainly take some ‘grunt’ to get the train moving - just like the real thing I guess.

Now remind me, when is the class 59 anticipated?

A790D535-A4F6-4B98-933C-32396C214FED.jpeg

Edited by CB Rail

On 01/10/2021 at 23:54, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Picked my rake of these in original livery earlier today.

Very impressed with these & worth mentioning the weight. If people decide to load these, it will certainly take some ‘grunt’ to get the train moving - just like the real thing I guess.

Now remind me, when is the class 59 anticipated?

A790D535-A4F6-4B98-933C-32396C214FED.jpeg

We have been running sets of 8 of these loaded with ‘fish tank grit’ at GETS (on Hoopers Aggregates) and all our locos (Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol) are easily handling them.

Andrew

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ‘photographic evidence’ they could share with anything else but a Class 59 hauling these O & K wagons.

Thanks in advance.

60001 7V98 Westbury

Here's a 60 for starters. As well as these, depending on your era, you can add 37, 47, 56, 58, and 66s in DB and Freightliner to the list. Best bet is to go on Flickr and search Merehead plus a year that you're interested in. For example put "Merehead 1998" in the search box. There is some chaff amongst the wheat, but Flickr is such a widely used resource it's a damn good place to start.

Jo

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2021 at 17:03, Steadfast said:

I bought an inner wagon to measure up for sets of decals, seems quite a nice model all in. Has anyone else noticed the relationship between the axle boxes and the wheel sets? They're definitely not aligned, presumably to lower the flanges under the wagon. It looks so odd once you spot it. Most wagons have a recessed floor to allow for flanges, whereas Dapol have gone for a flat floor and lowering the wheelsets. Once you notice, you can't unsee it and it looks like the N model is similarly afflicted

Jo

Quoting myself here, follow up time.

I put a post on the Dapol forum: https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/freight-stock/container-stock/jha-o-k-aggregate-hopper/project-managers-blog-au/7877-jha-o-k-improved-cad-views?p=9731#post9731

No response as yet, I don't know if expecting axles to line up with the axleboxes is being fussy? It does give the model a weird tip toes look.

Jo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 years later than planned, but my PHAs finally arrive at Westbury…

Did anyone come up with a fix for them uncoupling? I have to watch it like a hawk and keep stopping to reverse and pick up the wagons left behind. Thinking of a bit of black tape under the coupler so it’s semi permanent. Any suggestions?

213D0070-1276-4CC1-882C-81A103CD72E7.jpeg

• Like 14

Hi Steve,

I’m working on it almost every night now. The curved boards have all now been modified (some quite extensive woodwork required) and track is down on everything except two curved boards. I’ll try to post some updates at the weekend. You need to share progress pics of your ARC JHAs too!

Guy

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I think these wagons are a fantastic model and really look the part.  The free running of the wheels is very nice and the weight of the wagons has therefore not caused me any issues. 

The couplings however, as nice as they look, seem prone to uncoupling under compression leaving a portion of the train behind when putting them back into tension.  I  will replace these with another coupling method once I find a suitable product or manufacture a bespoke solution.

However they do look great and have been enjoyable to weather, here are some photos of my results.  

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

Edited by Big And
Photo re upload
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2022 at 15:32, Big And said:

The couplings however, as nice as they look, seem prone to uncoupling under compression leaving a portion of the train behind when putting them back into tension. 

Same here.  Not common with Kadee-type couplers, but the Dapol ones seem to do it.

I locked each coupler with a tiny amount of superglue, so the jaw no longer moves.  

Requires moving the wagon vertically for coupling / uncoupling, but seems to have solved the problem.

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 23/01/2022 at 15:32, Big And said:

I think these wagons are a fantastic model and really look the part.  The free running of the wheels is very nice and the weight of the wagons has therefore not caused me any issues. 

The couplings however, as nice as they look, seem prone to uncoupling under compression leaving a portion of the train behind when putting them back into tension.  I  will replace these with another coupling method once I find a suitable product or manufacture a bespoke solution.

However they do look great and have been enjoyable to weather, here are some photos of my results.  

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

They look awesome. Would like to tone mine down too but at around £50 each don’t want to screw it up!! Any tips on how you did yours? Is it paint or weathering powders and what colours/technique did you use?

• Agree 1

On 27/01/2022 at 16:22, Clink junction said:

They look awesome. Would like to tone mine down too but at around £50 each don’t want to screw it up!! Any tips on how you did yours? Is it paint or weathering powders and what colours/technique did you use?

Hi, So I use washes of enamel paints thinned with enamel thinners and brush these on.  I have used his process many times (sometimes with different colour combinations for different affect) so have gained just enough confidence to start on a rake of expensive wagons.  

The colours used were humbrol 64 "light grey", railmatch "frame dirt" and humbrol 121 "stone".  These were applied in that order with 2 or 3 thin washes of each colour, only 1 wash per day to allow good drying between coats.  The under frame was eventually given more of a semi dry rub of the frame dirt and stone colours as the washes were giving only very slow progress.  

Brush strokes on the body were lengthways to get a full coverage of the colour but finished with downwards strokes.  The wagons were placed upright for drying so the washes gather strongest at the bottom of the body,  placing them in a box on a sheet of bubble wrap to stop them rolling about.  

consider doing the frame and body in alternate stages so that you have somewhere to hold the model.  i mostly lift these with a finger under each ends walkway, this being part of the metal mould.  take care when brushing the various hand rails as these can be dislodged if not careful but were possible to refit and secure with a drip of superglue on a small screwdriver.  the famous springs in the couplings were also easy to knock of with a paint brush and i found myself checking these were both in place before leaving a wagon to dry.  

have a go as it is very satisfying, good luck!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Does anyone know when or if the next batch will arrive in the UK shops, i was always under the impression a second batch was produced and on its way when the original batch got wedged in a canal???

Some retailers are showing Feb-Mar 2022 for delivery.

There hasn't been any other announcement to the contrary that I've seen.

Edited by newbryford

On 23/01/2022 at 20:21, andythenorth said:

Same here.  Not common with Kadee-type couplers, but the Dapol ones seem to do it.

I locked each coupler with a tiny amount of superglue, so the jaw no longer moves.  

Requires moving the wagon vertically for coupling / uncoupling, but seems to have solved the problem.

Nice tip, thank you. I put a spot of polystyrene cement on mine yesterday. Left them overnight to dry (individually - obviously didn’t re-couple when the glue was still wet or I’d have a permanent rake!!). Re-coupled the train today and they ran perfect with no more random uncoupling behind.

DFC48B6F-29E9-47B8-B82F-4BB3C4E565B6.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2022 at 18:16, GEARJAMMER said:

Does anyone know when or if the next batch will arrive in the UK shops, i was always under the impression a second batch was produced and on its way when the original batch got wedged in a canal???

One retailer has sent out emails that they are expected to take delivery of them tomorrow.

2 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm if the latest Yeoman hoppers have the same running numbers as the original batch.

Thanks in advance.

Hi CB Rail,

A quick check online for the old part numbers seems to show that they are all new running numbers... as well as new Dapol part numbers.  All good for extending your current set without repeating wagons.  I think these are the additional ones advertised around the time when the Suez Canal troubles were in the news.

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 1