Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

I'm hoping that the fact that the NRM are involved will prevent any detail and livery mistakes. I'd like to order all six but will have to choose one. I'm hoping it will arrive in time to be a Christmas present.

It seems as though small tank engines are popular at the moment, long may it continue.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is a very exciting announcement. Well done Rails! :D

Only hoping that this can expunge the memory of the miserable Hornby offering.

Thats a bit harsh

When you consider what the model railway industry was churning out at the time it was designed (early - mid 1980s?), its not that bad.

Obviously compared to stuff released in the past decade, the Hornby version (which ironically was in fact tooled up by Dapol before they pulled out of 00 in the past) lacks finesse and has rather too many compromises to try and allow one  moulding to represent several variants, but thats not the point.

Well, shows that Dapol have been thinking about it a bit more since I emailed them about 1-2 years ago!

And no I'm not saying I was somehow the trigger. Would be nice if I was, but the chances of that are one in roughly 4.5 billion!

I will try and put a deposit down for the standard release of Boxhill when I can. I wonder how many of those will end up on pre-grouping layouts as mine will? I fear very few, sadly.

Thats a bit harsh

When you consider what the model railway industry was churning out at the time it was designed (early - mid 1980s?), its not that bad.

Obviously compared to stuff released in the past decade, the Hornby version (which ironically was in fact tooled up by Dapol before they pulled out of 00 in the past) lacks finesse and has rather too many compromises to try and allow one  moulding to represent several variants, but thats not the point.

The irony of the tooling is not lost on me. But it seems that Dapol, if not Hornby, have moved to more current standards.

And my comment might seem harsh, until you consider that this model is still in Hornby's current lineup and, while retailing less than the Rails offering, is still quite pricey for what actually seems to be something overshadowed by some of their Railroad items.

• RMweb Premium

And my comment might seem harsh, until you consider that this model is still in Hornby's current lineup and, while retailing less than the Rails offering, is still quite pricey for what actually seems to be something overshadowed by some of their Railroad items.

Thats capitalism for you - Manufacturers will set the prices on what they think customers are prepared to pay, not necessarily based on how much it costs to make.

I suspect that as with the 14XX, once a new 'high spec' model is on the shelves there may be a rethink on the price Hornby charge (assuming they do continue to produce it).

None of this alters the fact that for its day, the Hornby /ex Dapol terrier is pretty good.

• Like 3

The irony of the tooling is not lost on me. But it seems that Dapol, if not Hornby, have moved to more current standards.

Is this for real?

Place a Hornby Duchess or H Class next to anything that Dapol has ever made and then tell me which is best. There isn't even a comparison.

Dapol haven't made anything remotely close to the standards of current Hornby. Look at the many errors that are endemic in their range. Just ask A Swain and he would happily point them out. Especially on the awful O gauge wagons.

As for Railroad standards, have you looked at Dapol's range? They have models in it that are from the 1960s including things that Hornby stopped making in the 1970s. Their LMS coaches are the old Airfix ones from the late 1970s.

Hardly "current standards".

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

This is a very exciting announcement. Well done Rails! :D

Only hoping that this can expunge the memory of the miserable Hornby offering.

I own a Hornby one and it's a happy little loco and not miserable at all. :mosking:

• Like 2

Someone mentioned that there is no model of 'Stepney' in the lineup, when there is!

In her, supposedly more popular (given some maintain that pre-grouping is not popular!), BR Black guise! Ought to be a bestseller then, given how well BR always sells when compared to pre-grouping offerings that no one ever buys! Not that 'Stepney' is pre-grouping at the moment anyway...

It will be interesting to note how many 'As built' models of CR No.828 sell compared to 'As-Preserved' ones... and the same would be true if 'Stepney' was offered in as-preserved condition alongside the as-built (well... almost...) 'Boxhill'. Actually, no it wouldn't. Some people would buy such a model just to remove the smokebox door and apply a face. Sadly. I wouldn't be doing something like that to any terrier, let alone a £110 one!

Possibly could appear as Dapol Collectors club editions

Please NO NO NO.

I must say having wanted a new Terrier, I'm disappointed that Stepney and Fenchurch do not feature in this first batch.

BUT anticipate a future release (if necessary with Stepney in 1990s condition allowing for riveted smokebox).

I've been peeved with Hornby for releaseing the Bluebell H Class as a club model (to say nothing of denyingthe Bluebell a chance to sell them).

Congrats to Rails/NRM on responding to the demand for a modern spec Terrier. Hope a good model results. Please feel free to post CAD images here for feedback... (please please please)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this for real?

Place a Hornby Duchess or H Class next to anything that Dapol has ever made and then tell me which is best. There isn't even a comparison

Appreciate that it’s a difficult comparison, but some of Dapol’s modern image wagons are very good. And the 68 is superb.

• Like 2

None of this alters the fact that for its day, the Hornby /ex Dapol terrier is pretty good.

It may well have been "pretty good" "for its day", but it looks toylike in comparison today. Perhaps its day has passed. I'm only ticked that I bought one, but it makes a decent enough experimental loco.

Dapol haven't made anything remotely close to the standards of current Hornby. Look at the many errors that are endemic in their range. Just ask A Swain and he would happily point them out. Especially on the awful O gauge wagons.

As for Railroad standards, have you looked at Dapol's range? They have models in it that are from the 1960s including things that Hornby stopped making in the 1970s. Their LMS coaches are the old Airfix ones from the late 1970s.

We'll see how this one pans out, but Dapol's O gauge equivalent was well enough received, and I assume that the OO will be based on the previous CAD. But Hornby's Terrier is hardly "current Hornby".

• RMweb Gold

Is this for real?

Place a Hornby Duchess or H Class next to anything that Dapol has ever made and then tell me which is best. There isn't even a comparison.

Jason

Let's give them a chance shall we? Every new model now seems to have endure trial by expert before the ink is even dry on the announcement. Oh and on the subject of experts, if A Swain is being touted as the one to go to in order that a model is thoroughly vilified at the earliest opportunity then quite frankly I for one am pleased that the individual is no longer on this forum.

Blimey! This thread is not yet twelve hours old and already we are predicting that the model will be carp and littered with errors because the manufacturer is incapable of producing an accurate model.

As I say, give them a chance....

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this for real?

Jason

Class 68, Western ? Ok not steam engines but both very good models

• Like 1

Yes!!!! I knew Dapol couldn't resist, no matter how much work you put into it, that old Dapol/Hornby model just couldn't replicate any variant. Not 100% accurately.

But, now that's changed and it'll be tough resisting every variant they produce.

As, no matter if Hornby rebrand theirs into their Railroad range and sell cheap, I'm just not going for inaccuracy.

• Like 1