Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Can anyone advise, please, how easy it is to convert a Dapol chassis to EM or P4? I assume that nobody has been able to disembowel one of the prototype Terriers, so I guess that this is a more generic question.  

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I guess the Hornby tooling suite must be something like:

side tanks one slide or default mould (8 nuts for all)

mid boiler section, two slides, A1 and A1X

cab/bunker, two slides, small tool box or IOW.

The whole thing makes one part in those variations.

I've just ordered 3 rails versions. 

Getting OT. I'm going to post some comments on the Hornby thread, but I can't work out what two of the variations are!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, burgundy said:

Can anyone advise, please, how easy it is to convert a Dapol chassis to EM or P4? I assume that nobody has been able to disembowel one of the prototype Terriers, so I guess that this is a more generic question.  

I suspect we won't really know until the Rails versions are actually on sale. I've not needed to convert any Dapol steam outline locos to P4 as yet, but provided the body comes off easily from the chassis, then it's probably a straightforward job to build a replacement chassis for P4 or EM.

If on the other hand you're thinking of replacing the wheelsets on the existing chassis, then one would have to ask Rails about the axle diameter and how easy this operation would be, unless we wait for the model to actually go on sale.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anglian said:

I'm not sure what the black fittings are on the top front of the tanks sides but the Rails ones looks a little too long on the Bodiam.

The steam exhaust domes.  Like all matters of measurement, I won't assert anything as fact unless and until I can take a measurement, but my impression is that the Hornby ones are too short and the Rails ones are too tall!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ian J. said:

A note here about the fund raising for two KE&SR Terriers:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143786-terrier-150-appeal/

Having read about "Bodiam" here it would seem that it originally had cast nameplates - "The name plates were removed at this stage (1932/&3) but fortunately survived".  Should/will the Rails model then have such rather than a painted version?   Is there a supplier that makes such a nameplate?

17 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Having read about "Bodiam" here it would seem that it originally had cast nameplates - "The name plates were removed at this stage (1932/&3) but fortunately survived".  Should/will the Rails model then have such rather than a painted version?   Is there a supplier that makes such a nameplate?

No doubt Narrow Planet would oblige ...... if nobody's got there already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Today at York on the Locomotion stand, their exclusive Boxhill:

That does look splendid. And, having been born and lived very close to the hill in question, I may just be a customer. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Ok, ok, so that's three of us, but all the same, I'm sure it's there.

Sometimes it's the things that are unsaid that mean more than those that are said.

Just like 'that look' that I sometimes get from SWMBO when a new delivery arrives at Truffy Towers.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Today at York on the Locomotion stand, their exclusive Boxhill (sample):

1647814847_DSCN9488-Small.JPG.8ad7aecf461ad220b3734c8c1434b0f7.JPG

Although that generally looks good, some work is needed on those handrails along the boiler, they look curved which I don’t think is the case with the prototype. 

Roy

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Although that generally looks good, some work is needed on those handrails along the boiler, they look curved which I don’t think is the case with the prototype. 

Roy

I wouldn't worry too much about fit issues on a sample, assembled by a design team in China (not the assembly line), flown across the world, slepped from place to place and constantly man-handled. 

Hornby seem to be sending a portion of their production version out in worse states!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I wouldn't worry too much about fit issues on a sample, assembled by a design team in China (not the assembly line), flown across the world, slepped from place to place and constantly man-handled. 

Hornby seem to be sending a portion of their production version out in worse states!

Fair comment, but why yet another dig at Hornby? Unnecessary in my opinion. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2