Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Thanks both to @Edwardian and others for engaging in this effort, and to @Oliver Rails for being open to support/criticism in bringing a superior model to market. IMO, RoS is potentially one of the new breed of commissioners leading in excellence in fidelity, and I'm happy to support that, if only financially.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

They do look quite impressive in that photo! The corrected window spacing has certainly helped a lot and I love the revised coupling rods!

Nonetheless they are still far from flawless, but the people involved seem to be aware of that. Therefore let´s hope the best for the production models!

• Agree 1

On 14/10/2019 at 08:03, Ian J. said:

These Rails ones are due out within the next month, I believe :)

Great news if they are but I will not be disappointed if they are not. This projected has certainly progressed and even progressed on correcting flaws.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

At York, today, at the D Class launch, the latest livery samples of the Terrier were on display.

1205202065_IMG_3557-Copy.JPG.01c7d50d7da3b552ed680ff9f27edabc.JPG

The finesse displayed by these models is apparent even in this picture. (No offence, dear Mr Edwardian!)

I have been following the progress of these models throughout this thread and quite frankly, I am astonished at this quality. I do hope they will run as good as they look (I don't see why not).

I can live with/possibly amend things like chimney details but I couldn't have lived with the original cab front windows, these look so much better now.

Thanks to all involved in this project, I will be supporting.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say, I am now considering off loading my two Hornby terriers........

Rob 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Guest LU Standard Stock

I'm still surprised neither Rails or Hornby have done SR wartime black in the first batches, would have though that would sell more than some of these more oddball liveries. Anyone know how many Terriers were still in olive after the war? Would like to get one of these one day but not sure whether to go for olive or wait and hope for wartime black.

Incidentally, one that I ordered, SR2644 non-DCC, is no longer shown on RoS's site. I assume this means that the allocation is completed for that particular version. And they haven't even landed!

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is it known what (if any) detail pack will be included with these? @Edwardian

If I don't recall any discussion of that, and I'm wondering what potential accessories might be? If those vac fitted locos come with the vac stands attached, for instance, there is one less thing separate. Other accessories are often necessitated by the need to leave things off for tight curves.  Not an issue with the Terrier (or, indeed, with the SE&CR D).  What did you have in mind?

4 minutes ago, truffy said:

Incidentally, one that I ordered, SR2644 non-DCC, is no longer shown on RoS's site. I assume this means that the allocation is completed for that particular version. And they haven't even landed!

I know that sales have been strong, and the demand for pre-Grouping in particular has been stronger than anticipated.  I believe quantities have been adjusted accordingly.  What the situation is with this particular one, I don't know. 

13 minutes ago, truffy said:

You mean this one? https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35685/Dapol-4s-010-004-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1x-class-sr-southern-lined-green-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-2644-dcc-ready

For some reason it doesn't have the Terrier tag, so won't show when you search Terrier.

• Funny 1

They look Fantastic, and really capture the character and power of these little locomotives.

BUT for:

i) the roof (still with prominant join - a real weakness compared to the Hornby model, and totally unexplained, other than hangover from poor design of the O gauge model)

ii) the coupling hook - no room - hole or slot for a screw link coupling - the solidity of the moulding looks rather odd.

25 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

They look Fantastic, and really capture the character and power of these little locomotives.

BUT for:

i) the roof (still with prominant join - a real weakness compared to the Hornby model, and totally unexplained, other than hangover from poor design of the O gauge model)

ii) the coupling hook - no room - hole or slot for a screw link coupling - the solidity of the moulding looks rather odd.

Yes, I wouldn't claim absolute perfection for the model, but I think overall it's really a very good job, and a positive step forward for Dapol. I'd say it's a 'pedigree' hound.

I confess, the roof join didn't leap out at me when I was looking at the samples.  If a problem, a bit of filler would do the job, as demonstrated recently in RM on the 7mm version. Yes, ideally you wouldn't have to, but this feature is probably not inexplicable.  I expect it avoids further tooling costs for the cab variants.  Judging from what I've seen, the cheaper Hornby model appears to give you one cab (A1X) combined with one tank unit (A1).  Thus the two models perhaps represent alternative approaches to trying to achieve commercial viability/hit a particular price point. Either way, some compromise is going to be necessary to represent this class in its various forms at a sustainable price for the consumer.   

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, LU Standard Stock said:

I'm still surprised neither Rails or Hornby have done SR wartime black in the first batches, would have though that would sell more than some of these more oddball liveries. 

Surely there's a proven market these days for small tank engines in attractive colourful liveries?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

Surely there's a proven market these days for small tank engines in attractive colourful liveries?

There has been in recent times, but how long do such fads last? How many 'pretty' locos does anyone need? And this model is a tad more expensive than some others. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

There has been in recent times, but how long do such fads last? How many 'pretty' locos does anyone need? And this model is a tad more expensive than some others. 

OTOH, I have never purchased more than one of any engine, but expanded my normal Maunsell/SR selection to include a K&ESR. And, after seeing the photos, I'm contemplating adding an LB&SCR version.

So, to answer your question, who knows?

Guest LU Standard Stock
25 minutes ago, RichardLong said:

I agree, and I like seeing them, but I would always think starting with the more common liveries that more people could use would make sense and then release the pretty ones afterwards. ;)

Edited by LU Standard Stock

42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Enough to work an intensive service into a suburban Edwardian Minories layout???

• Like 5
  • Agree 1