Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

11 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Yes =) I am hoping one will be announced in due course 

LBSCR Stroudley A1X Terrier 0-6-0T No. 2640 depicted here in what appears to be unlined black Southern livery with 'sunshine' markings at St. Leonard's shed on 7/7/48. Hopefully of interest to readers is that Terriers at this location were the subject of debate on the SEmG message board when I uplaoded the image but I didn't have the time to join in. 2640 and subsequently as 32640 was shuffled around a great deal between nationalisation and withdrawal from Brighton mpd in September 1963. From nationalisation until 4/48 it was based at Fratton and then moved to Ashford until 1/51 which encompasses the period when this shot was taken. That was the longest spell of any allocation and there then followed shuffles between Newhaven (just for a short period), Eastleigh, Fratton, St. Leonard's, Newhaven, Brighton, Fratton, Eastleigh and finally Brighton. [Mike Morant collection]

Hoping too .......... but meanwhile I'll have another go at updating my old-style Hornby loco as 2640. A KESR regular but shown here taking a break for some 'Schools' shunting at St.Leonards by the look of it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Jack P said:

I asked this earlier in the thread, from memory, the answer is no - not of the current releases. I can only echo Green Giraffe's sentiments that hopefully the announce them (Or 'Brighton Works')! But i'm happy to paint one if need be.

My question would probably be, when was the olive green one repainted?

What would be super useful, if there was a big online database where you could type in a loco identity and it would show you its livery / modification history! 

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

What would be super useful, if there was a big online database where you could type in a loco identity and it would show you its livery / modification history! 

You did say BIG didn't you ! .......... that would probably require the cooperation of all the Line Societies - and would probably then result in them disappearing as interest in carriages, wagons, signalling, stations, track, shipping, personnel etc wouldn't be sufficient to justify their continuing existence. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

If you start now it will be ready sooner! What a great idea!

8 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Heck! That would certainly be one hell of a project! Rail-UK has semi recently gone down, which is a crying shame.

Specifically does anyone know how long 2644 stayed green for?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

A couple more Sunshine liveried Terriers

Former LBSCR Stroudley A1X Terrier 0-6-0T no. 2640 inside Eastleigh Works on 5/7/47 shortly after its return from the Isle of Wight where it was numbered W11 and named Newport.  2640 would be withdrawn at Brighton mpd in September 1963 and has been a part of the heritage scene ever since finding a permanent home on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in its IoW guise as W11 Newport once again. [Mike Morant collection]

Former LBSCR Stroudley A1X Terrier class 0-6-0T no. 2678 at what the sleeve note says is Ashford in 1946. This misht be true although SR 2678 was on loan to the KESR at the time and remained there until the line's closure to passenger traffic in 1954. This isn't the place to display a detailed locomotive history but suffice to say that this engine is still with us today as an important part of the Heritage KESR. [Mike Morant collection]

Ex-LBSCR Stroudley A1X 'Terrier' 0-6-0T no. 2644 taken from the platform at Hayling Island Station facing east across the throat of the goods yard. The ex LMS 20t Brake Van, when BR rebranded, served on the line until its closure some 25+ years later. 2644 would receive BR branding in April 1948 whilst allocated to Fratton shed but would move across country to Ashford in April 1949 and it was there that withdrawal symptoms set in exactly two years later. [Mike Morant collection]

Lovely snaps GreenGiraffe22. Thanks for posting and loads of inspiration. 

I can order a suitable model to paint now. 

As Jack has said any ideas of how long 2644 stayed in green? 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Two questions from me as a person who isn't 'well up' on 00 matters:

1) Am I correct in thinking that no LSWR livery version has been announced by Rails?

2) Have any Rails ones actually been released yet, and if so what is their running performance (as opposed to good looks and fidelity) like compared with the Hornby ones?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those photos show just how much of a minefield the terriers were - all three in the above post are different (bunkers, tank rivets, chimneys and lamp irons), plus 40 gains an extra pair of lamp irons between the photo on this page and the one on the last page...

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Nick C said:

Those photos show just how much of a minefield the terriers were - all three in the above post are different (bunkers, tank rivets, chimneys and lamp irons), plus 40 gains an extra pair of lamp irons between the photo on this page and the one on the last page...

........ and handrails etc. .......

What you can't see on these photos is that 2640 had a peculiar 'box' outside the cab on the left hand side ( opposite where the wessie pump is on the right ) : seems to be unique to this loco and has disappeared in preservation - anyone got any thoughts what it could have been ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

........ and handrails etc. .......

What you can't see on these photos is that 2640 had a peculiar 'box' outside the cab on the left hand side ( opposite where the wessie pump is on the right ) : seems to be unique to this loco and has disappeared in preservation - anyone got any thoughts what it could have been ?

Toolbox maybe? Quite a few of the ex-Island ones sprouted toolboxes in odd places as they'd lost the original one on the back of the bunker. 32646 had one on the tank top for a while in late-crest.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Toolbox maybe? Quite a few of the ex-Island ones sprouted toolboxes in odd places as they'd lost the original one on the back of the bunker. 32646 had one on the tank top for a while in late-crest.

It could well be a toolbox - but accessed from inside the cab as there's no obvious hasp or handle to the sloping 'lid' on the outside.

The cab side box is sometimes seen on IoW Terriers as is the rear half toolbox.

These locos were Push Pull fitted on the Island which means in the cab on the drivers side is a operating cylinder for the Regulator, there is also electrical systems for indicating regulator position and for bell codes (for Reversing Lever operating instructions), these require batteries.

The cab side box may be for batteries or may be a toolbox to replace one of the in cab ones which had been used for batteries.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, LB&SCR 337 said:

Is there a chance a preserved model of Stepney will be done as I really need one for my bluebell railway collection.

Not impossible as both Hornby and Rails/Dapol are producing Stepney in its BR form which is very similar in shape to Stepney's current form. Stepney in true LBSCR condition seemed to sell very well when released by Hornby - either a blessing or a curse as they may feel that the market for an Improved Engine Green Stepney has been sated, or the popularity of Stepney is so great that it can sustain further runs, albeit in a different condition. I hope that Rails/Dapol take up the mantle, but they still have 12 models to get out there so I wouldn't hold my breath for the next announcement.

More likely, I feel, would be Fenchurch in preserved condition, as Dapol have done this in O gauge and many of the announced released in OO have matched the releases in O. Fingers crossed!

Disappointed that delivery keeps being pushed back, Hornby's second round of terriers appear likely/certain to beat Rails to market. Still very excited for my 2 BR early crest versions though! 

• Agree 1

LB&SCR LIVERIED TERRIER LOCOMOTIVES
AN UPDATE FROM LOCOMOTION MODELS & RAILS OF SHEFFIELD

terrierupdate.png.a578c690bf568725946c26352e6f57a5.png

As expected, we have now received the advance production livery samples of the LB&SCR versions that were air freighted to us during the Christmas /New Year holidays. These were received for final approval earlier this week before we authorised the bulk delivery to be air-freighted to us. We hope you will agree that they do look stunning and that they will be worth the wait but we do apologise sincerely for the delays. The firebox glow also adds significantly to the appeal when running smoothly on the compensated chassis. All models now come complete with a factory fitted speaker, with simple push fit decoder fitting for those of you not ordering sound or DCC fitted. The agreement we made at the start of this project with Dapol was that we would produce museum standard, high fidelity models and at no stage have we been prepared to compromise on that despite the protracted wait. That resolve continues and we are not prepared to accept anything short of that goal.

Unfortunately, a boiler band registration issue was identified on the production batch sent from the factory at Christmas which had not been present on signed off livery samples. They have therefore been rejected and new bodies are to be produced as soon as possible. This cannot be easily rectified with a fully assembled working model. Please note this applies only to the LB&SCR versions for both the Locomotion models and Rails of Sheffield ‘Boxhill’. The NRM version is as preserved with the shorter toolbox and some minor livery differences compared to the Rails version which is as built in service livery with the longer toolbox.

Unfortunately, the requirement to do this coincides with the shut down ready for Chinese New Year (25th January until 8th February). Production will not likely recommence in full until the third week of February and we regret we are unlikely to see these particular versions until April 2020 (possibly late March). As soon as they are ready they will be air freighted to the UK.

We would rather delay delivery than release something that falls just short of the exacting standards we have set the manufacturer and you expect of us. We can only apologise for the disappointment that this further delay to these variants will cause.

We are currently awaiting final production samples of two of our other versions for checking in the next few days prior to completing the approval process. If all goes well these should be released in January. These are KESR Bodium and LB&SC Gipsyhill. The remainder of the releases will in general follow the announcement dates with the first batch coming first with the exception of Brighton Gold Medal which should arrive with Boxhill. Production and delivery will be continuous from here at the factory, both before and after CNY, until all 13 versions have been delivered successfully.

We hope you will agree with our decision to not accept any compromises after the effort which has been put into achieving the most accurate model of a ready to run Terrier yet seen.

View all versions of our Terrier locomotives here

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

42 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

We would rather delay delivery than release something that falls just short of the exacting standards we have set the manufacturer and you expect of us. We can only apologise for the disappointment that this further delay to these variants will cause. 

We hope you will agree with our decision to not accept any compromises after the effort which has been put into achieving the most accurate model of a ready to run Terrier yet seen.

I, for one, do. This is looking fantastic, and it would be almost criminal to spoil the ship* for a ha'p'orth of tar.

* yes, I know, 'sheep'

• Like 1
  • Agree 9