Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Yesterday I saw three A1s in the flesh. They are stunning.  

EDIT: I wasn't sure what else to say without being repetitive. I've said before, having seen hi-res pictures, that there is a degree of fineness or refinement about these models that makes them stand out. The instance of livery misapplication that caused the rejection of the IEG versions is not prominent, so the model I saw gave a good overall impression of what we'll receive.  In this case I was looking at the NRM's version.  Having been used to looking at many-times-the-original-size photographs, I found myself struggling to read the shed name on the valance; this really is a very small loco!

I also saw Bodiam.  It has a lovely dark blue that just looks 'right'. 

Colour perception is a treacherous area, with a given prototype capable of looking quite different depending on variations in lighting conditions, etc, not to mention the effect of scale, so it's always good to see a model in the flesh.  Having done so, I would say beware of judging from flash photographs; I find these make the  KE&SR blue look far brighter than it is and the IEG look yellow, which it isn't. In natural light, the livery colours look very good, though the IEG sticks with the ochre palette, very much as you see the real Boxhill and Gladstone, rather than the brown end of the spectrum favoured by some modellers on the one hand, or the yellow of Dapol's 7mm model on the other. 

Last I saw the umber 643, rapidly becoming my personal favourite.  The two-tone lined brown really is a very elegant livery, as we saw first on the Bachmann E4, and it makes for a very compelling model when applied to the Terrier.

With such a small model, it's easy to lose the details that make up that overall impression of a refined model rendered to scale, but they're there; the correctly profiled spokes (not flat), the fineness of the wing-plates, the finely rendered guard irons to the correct shape, the Salter valves etc.

I have no doubt that these will look the part.  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I also saw Bodiam.  It has a lovely dark blue that just looks 'right'. 

Since Bodiam is one of the two that I have on order, I’m very pleased to read that. It’ll spend much of its time as a shelf queen, since it doesn’t quite fit my era.

But now you’ve got me thinking about 643, you naughty boy. How many shelf queens do I need? And the CFO already has the scent of blood.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

What is the difference between the Rails and Locomotion Models versions of Boxhill?

I dont know which one to order.

Rails = in service

NRM = As preserved

There are two minor points of difference.

Tool box:

- The Rails version has the full length rear bunker tool box, with which the A1s originally ran. Bodiam and 751 have it too, as this is the 'box they would have had on withdrawal and sale.   

- NRM has the shorter box that she has now.  These I believe were used after the raising of the buffers for motor train working.

Shed allocation on valance:

- Rails: The lettering is white, as per regulation (see the Southern Style volume)

- NRM: The lettering is yellow, as per the preserved loco.   

Efforts had clearly been made to get the preserved loco back to an authentic condition.  Pictures show her in early preservation, '60s IIRC, in IEG but still with the 12 tank cladding bolts seen on A1Xs.  At some point since, someone bothered to change this to the 8 she would have had as an A1. So, that preservation effort does not leave many differences to capture! 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Rails = in service

NRM = As preserved

There are two minor points of difference.

Tool box:

- The Rails version has the full length rear bunker tool box, with which the A1s originally ran. Bodiam and 751 have it too, as this is the 'box they would have had on withdrawal and sale.   

- NRM has the shorter box that she has now.  These I believe were used after the raising of the buffers for motor train working.

Shed allocation on valance:

- Rails: The lettering is white, as per regulation (see the Southern Style volume)

- NRM: The lettering is yellow, as per the preserved loco.   

Efforts had clearly been made to get the preserved loco back to an authentic condition.  Pictures show her in early preservation, '60s IIRC, in IEG but still with the 12 tank cladding bolts seen on A1Xs.  At some point since, someone bothered to change this to the 8 she would have had as an A1. So, that preservation effort does not leave many differences to capture! 

I wonder if you could confirm that the NRM version has a gloss finish whereas the Rails does not.

On 01/02/2020 at 02:30, Oliver Rails said:

......We are currently waiting to see what impact the coronavirus has on despatching the full batch. We will update once we know more.

The latest info on the state of the coronavirus situation globally is reported here:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

info which is updated regularly. The rate of infection confirmations in China is still accelerating, up from 4.4k - 5 days ago to 14.3k latest data.

• RMweb Gold

A most dreadful situation in every respect, with people dying and infection spreading rapidly. But until Rails' Chinese supplier tells Rails what is going on, it is impossible for the data in the post above to be meaningfully extrapolated in any way regarding these models. We will have to wait and see - and hope the outbreak peters out, for all sorts of reasons, but primarily humanitarian. 

• Agree 7

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A most dreadful situation in every respect, with people dying and infection spreading rapidly. But until Rails' Chinese supplier tells Rails what is going on, it is impossible for the data in the post above to be meaningfully extrapolated in any way regarding these models. We will have to wait and see - and hope the outbreak peters out, for all sorts of reasons, but primarily humanitarian. 

Agreed, and no way did I intend that at all.

However we are facing a Global event of unknown magnitude and being well informed about it's progress from a reliable source is surely a good thing. Much more trivial matters have been raised here and the link was intended to help put events in perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 31/01/2020 at 14:36, G-BOAF said:

What is the difference between the Rails and Locomotion Models versions of Boxhill?

I dont know which one to order.

Apart from what has been mentioned, the NRM version was stated to have a gloss finish, whereas the Rails models don’t. I’d like some reassurance on the point because, if the NRM version isn’t gloss, I’d rather pick something else.

8 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Apart from what has been mentioned, the NRM version was stated to have a gloss finish, whereas the Rails models don’t. I’d like some reassurance on the point because, if the NRM version isn’t gloss, I’d rather pick something else.

Ask NRM

• RMweb Premium

These are very fine models, but they are still let down by the chimney.  The plastic moulding is better than hitherto, but the copper cap is still smaller in diameter.  It has to be bigger diameter than the base to slip over it, in reality.  The photos against a white background don’t help, of course, and they may look better in the flesh. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2020 at 18:21, mikesndbs said:

Thanks for thinking about this and sorry late reply.

I feel like cancelling the Rails one to be honest as the Hornby one would be fine, but we have waited this long. Dad is on a little up just now so I am hopeful he will still appreciate it. He does so love his Terriers :) he built 12 of them himself lol

I think this explains Mike’s view, as you might remember, Jack? And this was said a month ago, a fortnight after Christmas for which he was hoping to give one to his father. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3
On 02/02/2020 at 10:49, No Decorum said:

Both Boxhill’s (Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield versions) have the same realistic IEG paint finish but with detail differences. The finish is sheen not gloss. A gloss finish was initially considered for the NRM version but it did not enhance the model, in fact it looked unrealistic, therefore we did not progress it. The Locomotionmodels website product description (where deposits are taken) does not refer to a gloss finish. We are sure you will be delighted with the final rendering which is certainly not matt.

We will post new images once they are received from the factory. You will appreciate that in the current circumstances in China that will not be possible until the factory reopens and work on the replacement body shells commences. We will of course keep our customers updated as and when we have something to report. 

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

11 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

This forum is just as much a place to find support in the community as it is to discuss model trains. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we hope you're okay, and we're here for you even if we're just pixels on a screen! 

Many thanks indeed.

• Friendly/supportive 6

On 06/02/2020 at 13:40, mikesndbs said:

Thanks, you are spot on, poor old dad is slipping fast, tears my heart out and now more delay by the looks of it.

Anyway, this is all my problem, I should not be bothering the forum with it :(

You have a particular, and good, reason for wishing these to be released sooner, and my heart goes out to you, because it's a poignant wish at a very sad time. Green Giraffe has the right of it, and I hope his sentiments, and the numbers here agreeing with him and signalling support for you reassures you that it's never a bother to show some kindness and support.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Samples were on  show at Doncaster over the weekend.

They were in what appeared to be a daylight balanced lit cabinet, and I would say the colours are excellent in my opinion. Also the livery application looks superb.

The only minor issue regards the chimney. On the BR black ones it looks fine, although the ones with the copper chimney top look odd.

That’s partly  due to the way the plastic is rounded at the top of the chimney where the metal section is inserted. It should be straight., This is much better though than Dapol’s o gauge version where it is very noticeable.

And the shape of the metal part looks extremely odd. It’s almost completely flat.  

However, when I compared it with pictures  in the terrier book, They do look spot-on for the early chimney top.

Unusually there isn’t a single picture of one looking down, they are all from track level.

This ‘oddness’ I guess is due to the fact that we are most used to seeing terriers with the later chimney.  Here are some snaps I shot at Doncaster  just for info.

The pictures don’t do justice to the colours of the models

(Apologies for typing: dictated )

3AF810CC-B742-4C30-B680-128C3C0F71A6.jpeg

369C501C-B9FC-4BA1-A868-92D00B1DC23A.jpeg

22FA10D3-D03E-491A-A0BA-5BE404842960.jpeg

8B65963D-1A45-49A6-8348-B7295B87F3FE.jpeg

F545EFBC-FB03-4B25-9E34-8666B7D312D6.jpeg

E2020586-22CA-49AC-939E-5D0FEA2A05BB.jpeg

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4