Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

I think everyone has missed the massive obvious issue with these models, they are in fact 3mm scale.:lol:

i was squinting into the cabinet on Saturday cursing I'd forgotten my glasses thinking how are these even 00 scale.

They do look good even if I have to be very close to them to get a look.

Good luck to me with my N Gauge endeavours starting again soon :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Mel H

What you are seeing there are livery samples. The production ones are better.

For instance, the A1s in the picture have brass chimney tops, whereas that have now been changed to copper.

The green border on Boxhill is too light and has now been darkened and the green with faux spokes applied to balance weights.  Also the tank tops are now black, not green or (on Bodiam) blue. 

They do, however, give a good impression of the fineness of the tooling and the good scale appearance and, as Woodenhead observes, they are really, really small.

Interestingly, the 1989 Dapol version (now Hornby Railroad) looks bigger in comparison, mainly I think because it sits too high on the chassis. 

So, when I see a his-res picture of one of these and it fools me into thinking I'm looking at something to 7mm scale, I'm impressed accordingly.

• Like 4

I'd just like to say a big thanks for the kind support shown here.

It's a heck of a thing to consider, Rails have been responsive but of course can't really say.

Dad was a bit better Saturday, so it might still be a go'er, but then if i got the Hornby one he'd possibly be delighted right now.

Anyway, thanks again. :heart_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 16

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Mel H

What you are seeing there are livery samples. The production ones are better.

For instance, the A1s in the picture have brass chimney tops, whereas that have now been changed to copper.

The green border on Boxhill is too light and has now been darkened and the green with faux spokes applied to balance weights.  Also the tank tops are now black, not green or (on Bodiam) blue. 

They do, however, give a good impression of the fineness of the tooling and the good scale appearance and, as Woodenhead observes, they are really, really small.

Interestingly, the 1989 Dapol version (now Hornby Railroad) looks bigger in comparison, mainly I think because it sits too high on the chassis. 

So, when I see a his-res picture of one of these and it fools me into thinking I'm looking at something to 7mm scale, I'm impressed accordingly.

I agree, they are incredibly finely detailed!  Nice to know that the final version will be even better!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

I'd just like to say a big thanks for the kind support shown here.

It's a heck of a thing to consider, Rails have been responsive but of course can't really say.

Dad was a bit better Saturday, so it might still be a go'er, but then if i got the Hornby one he'd possibly be delighted right now.

Anyway, thanks again. :heart_mini:

China does seem to be mobilising again in certain respects, within the confines of this terrible epidemic. But even when Rails get the green light to say the container has been loaded and the ship is about to leave, it will still take several weeks for it to arrive and be unloaded and available for despatch. Heartbreaking decisions for you, I know.

As far as kind and supportive sentiment on RMweb is concerned, when I was widowed a few years back the outpouring of support here was off any imaginable scale. This place understands life's events well beyond our hobby. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, LB&SCR 337 said:

Hmmm I'm a little surprised that they didn't make a preserved model of Stepney from the bluebell. I really need one for my bluebell railway diorama

Perhaps a bigger surprise is that 'Fenchurch' has not made an apprearance 'as preserved' as they have already done it in 7mm, unless they are holding it back for a 150th Birthday special in 2022 (hint hint!!).

Chris

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:28, LB&SCR 337 said:

Hmmm I'm a little surprised that they didn't make a preserved model of Stepney from the bluebell. I really need one for my bluebell railway diorama

You asked @LB&SCR 337? hehe
48527178386_af2747fb01_b.jpg

I'm not entirely surprised they didn't, there's lots of little variations on the preserved models... same with the Isle of Wight ones... why no preservation ones well that's because of different boiler fittings being in different places compared to their toolings,

Sadly the 7mm version of Fenchurch isn't as preserved it's in it's original A1 condition rather than a bit of A1 and A1X preserved condition.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

You asked @LB&SCR 337? hehe
48527178386_af2747fb01_b.jpg

I'm not entirely surprised they didn't, there's lots of little variations on the preserved models... same with the Isle of Wight ones... why no preservation ones well that's because of different boiler fittings being in different places compared to their toolings,

Sadly the 7mm version of Fenchurch isn't as preserved it's in it's original A1 condition rather than a bit of A1 and A1X preserved condition.

OMG how much I need it in my life

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 10:06, Mel_H said:

I agree, they are incredibly finely detailed!  Nice to know that the final version will be even better!

It has been suggested that I re-post some of the later shots, to show something closer to the production versions.  

1330034869_643(11).jpeg.031adadc79382a353cff3ea8e321afd8.jpeg

1842874827_Bodiam(6).jpeg.424d9061c9dbdb56e0ca7ca7fd1135cc.jpeg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2020 at 13:33, Mel_H said:

Samples were on  show at Doncaster over the weekend.

They were in what appeared to be a daylight balanced lit cabinet, and I would say the colours are excellent in my opinion. Also the livery application looks superb.

The only minor issue regards the chimney. On the BR black ones it looks fine, although the ones with the copper chimney top look odd.

That’s partly  due to the way the plastic is rounded at the top of the chimney where the metal section is inserted. It should be straight., This is much better though than Dapol’s o gauge version where it is very noticeable.

And the shape of the metal part looks extremely odd. It’s almost completely flat.  

However, when I compared it with pictures  in the terrier book, They do look spot-on for the early chimney top.

Unusually there isn’t a single picture of one looking down, they are all from track level.

This ‘oddness’ I guess is due to the fact that we are most used to seeing terriers with the later chimney.  Here are some snaps I shot at Doncaster  just for info.

The pictures don’t do justice to the colours of the models

(Apologies for typing: dictated )

3AF810CC-B742-4C30-B680-128C3C0F71A6.jpeg

F545EFBC-FB03-4B25-9E34-8666B7D312D6.jpeg

I have now found the pictures I took about a month ago of Boxhill.  You will see that a number of changes have been made from the livery sample pictured above, and, other than the print registration fault noted by Rails, it should give a very close representation of the production model.

IMG_6322.JPG.332b3044799810e4daf0bd5247dbe6d1.JPG

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

On 11/02/2020 at 21:59, Oldddudders said:

China does seem to be mobilising again in certain respects, within the confines of this terrible epidemic.........

As you have noted, the human scale of this crisis must be paramount in our concerns, however some information on the current state of Chinese manufacturing activity may help others understand where things stand. It is closely watched here in Australia given our various close trading relationships.

Data published over the weekend shows the continuing very low level of Chinese manufacturing activity. This comes from Satellite imagery tracking pollution from power generation (for 11-25 Feb) exceptionally low compared to normal and the Chinese Manufacturing PMI released Friday, down from 50 to 35.7, even lower than in the GFC (2008). Non-manufacturing PMI dropped even more. Reality is China continues in lock-down mode as they manage their epidemic. Many Migrant workers either quarantined or prevented by travel bans from returning to work. 

The impacts in Australia may not make the Global news but already in business activity terms are very serious, coming right on top of our terrible fire season. The Asian tourist trade has dried up, businesses cannot get goods to sell etc. etc. It is most encouraging that new cases in China are greatly reduced, manufacturing will bounce back but further delays appear most likely.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Reality is China continues in lock-down mode as they manage their epidemic. Many Migrant workers either quarantined or prevented by travel bans from returning to work.

Not to say things are entirely back to normal in China, but the reports out of China say different.

Specific to our hobby, Rapido Trains on Friday sent out a newsletter that included the information that their 2 factories had restarted after an additional 3 week closure so things are starting to resume in at least some areas of China.

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Not to say things are entirely back to normal in China, but the reports out of China say different.

Specific to our hobby, Rapido Trains on Friday sent out a newsletter that included the information that their 2 factories had restarted after an additional 3 week closure so things are starting to resume in at least some areas of China.

Good news. The windscreen is more useful than the rear view mirror when you have access to a reliable view thru the former:mellow:

Something to whet the appetite perhaps...

Ex-LBSC 'Terrier' A1X 0-6-0T 32678 at Bodiam, on the old Kent and East Sussex Railway, with the Locomotive Club of Great Britain 'Rother Velley Limited' railtour, in October 1958

1958 - 'Terrier' Top and Tail..

Ex-LBSC 'Terrier' 0-6-0T 32677 at Hayling Island station, in January 1957.

1957 - 'Hayling Billy' at Home..

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Ex-LBSC 'Terrier' A1X 0-6-0T 32678 at Bodiam, on the old Kent and East Sussex Railway, with the Locomotive Club of Great Britain 'Rother Velley Limited' railtour, in October 1958

Very nice! The one at Bodiam is almost worth the 'prototype for everything' department. If one modelling the massive welding seam on the side tank, and track with missing ballast, there'd be hell on...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Interesting coach in the second photo too - ex LSWR going by the profile, but a non-gangwayed corridor brake composite?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

My guess is it did have gangways at one time ............ details in Weddell, no doubt - but he's at home !

Indeed they are - S6529, 56ft brake tricomposite, lavs and gangways removed 6/53 for Hayling Island service, withdrawn 11/58.

Quite unusual to have the gangways removed fully, usually they were just panelled over, but that photo shows that the end has been fully resheeted with the linkages for the communication cord rerouted.

• 3 weeks later...