Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2020 at 19:22, mikesndbs said:

Hi guys, just to say that with a very heavy heart I decided to cancel my Terrier that was going to dad, things have changed.

Thanks to all for all the potential fun and wonder, good luck with your models and on a wider point, may I wish all of you the safest of paths through the current emergency.

Mike 

Has you given thought to acquiring a Hornby one ?

i know how it feels, my fathers Duchess of Atholl arrived a few weeks too late.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Has you given thought to acquiring a Hornby one ?

i know how it feels, my fathers Duchess of Atholl arrived a few weeks too late.

Thanks, sorry to hear that, no I don't think I will be getting one now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure how long it has been this way, but I note that my BR Terrier is now due “late October onwards”.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Sorry that is old text which refers to information we had on the initial arrival last year. The actual fact is that the first 3 versions of the terrier are ready for despatch, with the others not far behind them. The current issue is obviously that with Covid 19 closing many places including Dapol, no deliveries are being scheduled. As soon as this changes and we have new info I will let you know.
Thanks Oliver

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 23/03/2020 at 19:22, mikesndbs said:

Hi guys, just to say that with a very heavy heart I decided to cancel my Terrier that was going to dad, things have changed.

Thanks to all for all the potential fun and wonder, good luck with your models and on a wider point, may I wish all of you the safest of paths through the current emergency.

Mike 

Its difficult not get meet your Dad especially if you have a close relationship. I have a rocket pack sitting here for my Dad but cant visit him as he is poor enough.

Hope things are ok with you.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Hi Roy,

Sorry that is old text which refers to information we had on the initial arrival last year. The actual fact is that the first 3 versions of the terrier are ready for despatch, with the others not far behind them. The current issue is obviously that with Covid 19 closing many places including Dapol, no deliveries are being scheduled. As soon as this changes and we have new info I will let you know.
Thanks Oliver

No worries Oliver. I shall start to get excited then!

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I thought these were only available from Rails. Surprised to see a link to their website.

Still of this batch, I have 2 coming, one with DCC sound.

I think there was the option to order direct from Dapol. I'm going to wait and see what the production sound chip sounds like before committing but I am rather tempted by Gipsyhill. 

• Like 1

terrierfacebook.jpg.b691f95b692c0de84a09e38f18c69fb0.jpg

Finally we can confirm that the first four versions are due next week!

The following four versions are arriving:

• 4S-010-002 Terrier A1 Class 'Bodiam' KESR Blue Locomotive

• 4S-010-005 Terrier A1X Class BR Lined Black Early Crest Locomotive No.32655

• 4S-010-006 Terrier A1X Class BR Lined Black Late Crest Locomotive No.32661

• 4S-010-009 Terrier A1 Class LBSC (Ex Gipsyhill) Locomotive No.643

Available DCC Ready, DCC Fitted and DCC Sound Fitted.

With the order book almost full, pre-ordering now is highly recommended.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW AND ORDER

The outstanding versions are due End of May.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Usual impediment to paying  for a couple of these - I need an "account". Happy to put down a deposit - even pay the full purchase price, really - but ask me to create an "account" and I'm off. Stupid. If I pay via PayPal that tells you all the details you need.  I have, of course, bought several items from Rails on ebay, using PayPal. No Internet seller ever posts anything without full payment first, of course, so why do I need an "account"?. As they say in Spain - hacienda that. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Usual impediment to paying  for a couple of these - I need an "account". Happy to put down a deposit - even pay the full purchase price, really - but ask me to create an "account" and I'm off. Stupid. If I pay via PayPal that tells you all the details you need.  I have, of course, bought several items from Rails on ebay, using PayPal. No Internet seller ever posts anything without full payment first, of course, so why do I need an "account"?. As they say in Spain - hacienda that. 

Presumably you could phone them up and order that way without needing to open an account.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Can I put a request in for a future version (not that I think it stands a hope of happening)?

Martello, as in 2009. That is, A1X with IoW bunker, in Marsh Umber. The first (and currently last) steam loco I have driven :)

Here it is, with the old and inaccurate Dapol model sitting on the tank!

P1020165.JPG.56ef2c9d539a2db3a6300bad451f26f4.JPG

P1020166.JPG.a5b0022e63249b181a14a3356800ed3c.JPG

P1020167.JPG.b8e577a32b277f10311d2266773ed96a.JPG

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Can I put a request in for a future version (not that I think it stands a hope of happening)?

Martello, as in 2009. That is, A1X with IoW bunker, in Marsh Umber. The first (and currently last) steam loco I have driven :)

Here it is, with the old and inaccurate Dapol model sitting on the tank!

P1020165.JPG.56ef2c9d539a2db3a6300bad451f26f4.JPG

The late 00s was a great period for Terriers! 2006 in particular saw K&ESR and Bluebell have Terrier galas, 5 of the operational 6 at each. If Stepney, Fenchurch, Knowle, Bodiam, Martello or Freshwater are produced in a similar condition to how they appeared at that time, Rails/Dapol could be assured of my money!

I can't claim to be an expert in the detail of what sells and what doesn't, but I can imagine most who want Bodiam as preserved (in Blue livery) will be happy enough with Bodiam in A1 form, as many fans of Stepney were when Hornby released their model. Hopefully this doesn't prevent the latter from appearing in IEG as an A1x in the future.

Out of interest, anyone who has an order in for Bodiam, what are your reasons? Seeing the real thing at the preserved K&ESR? Modelling the original K&ESR? Just like the lovely livery?

Very much looking forward to getting 32655 onto the layout, with 32650 joining later!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Out of interest, anyone who has an order in for Bodiam, what are your reasons? Seeing the real thing at the preserved K&ESR? Modelling the original K&ESR? Just like the lovely livery?

• We've travelled on the K&ESR several times. Happy memories.
  • We've visited Bodiam on the K&ESR.
  • I like the livery.
  • My youngest daughter's (the one who likes trains and TTTE) favourite colour is blue.

FWIW, I'm happy that it's being presented as in service, not as preserved. Generally, I don't go for 'as preserved' liveries.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 01/05/2020 at 20:06, Oldddudders said:

Does ordering one through Dapol require the same?

Les

On 02/05/2020 at 05:06, Oldddudders said:

Usual impediment to paying  for a couple of these - I need an "account"......... so why do I need an "account"?.

Business efficiency is my guess.

In general your options appear to be simple, go to a "full Service" supplier at higher price or benefit from the efficiencies these measures bring shopping via Rails, range, price?

In this specific case, I accept the above doesn't apply but the benefits of the Rails business model surely extend to include their ability to bring these models to the market in the first place. Effort which doesn't come cheap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First, I have no connection to Rail, Dapol, the NRM, or anyone else associated with this project. I am just a guy who runs a business that does a lot of work via the internet, and accepts PayPal as a payment method

but ask me to create an "account" and I'm off.

One has to wonder how you are posting this comment if you don't use websites that require you to create an account?

If I pay via PayPal that tells you all the details you need

Not for after sales support. outside of the special relationship with eBay websites get very limited use of your data and can't store it incase you have problems.

bought several items from Rails on ebay, using PayPal

I assume you have an eBay account then? and for that matter a PayPal account?

so why do I need an "account"?

See my comments above.

Gary

• Agree 5

Guest LU Standard Stock

Having to open an account to buy something from a company on the internet? Appalling! What has this world come to? I must write a strongly worded letter to my MP.

Next we'll have to open an account to buy from ebay, or to use Paypal to pay for things, or to use an internet forum to complain about it! Oh, hold on.....this problem of accounts goes deeper than I thought, maybe MI5 should be alerted?

Edited by LU Standard Stock

• RMweb Gold

Why should you have to open an account with somebody to buy something from them if you are an occasional (or single item) customer?   You simply pay for it and take it away or have it delivered to your nominated address.

I fully understand that if I buy something from most model railway retailers that I use they will include in their records various details about me but that does not make me an account customer in the way that I am an account customer with, for example, Jewsons. Equally if I were to be an account customer I would expect the usual way of dealing with account customers to apply to me - starting with the fact that I need not necessarily settle the whole of my outstanding invoices every month (albeit leading to my paying interest on the oustandings and so on).  Again I quote the example of Jewsons where when I ring the call centre to pay my bill the second thing I am asked is whether or not I wish to pay all the outstanding amount.  The same of course also applies to my credit card company where yet again I am what amounts to an account customer and in consequence am not obliged to settle my bill in full every month.

So yes - a retailer will obviously take details about you, especially if you will be buying for postal etc delivery which means they need your address, and yes they might take card details (subject to certain safeguards), and yes they might have a loyalty scheme which means they have a record for me and can mean I build up credits in that scheme.  But I'm still not an account customer in the generally applied and accepted meaning of the term where they bill me only at monthly or four weekly intervals (i.e. not necessarily when the goods are despatched) and in most cases I need not clear the full outstanding amount at that time albeit at a cost in subsequent interest payments.  Equally of course I need not necessarily build up any credit on my account - which would mean I am effectively lending them money free of charge.

It is obviously up to any business whether or not they wish to trade with their customers on that basis and it is equally down to the customer whether or not they wish to buy from that business under those terms only (should the business not offer a choice of trading terms).  By the way I don't use Ebay and I very definitely neither have nor wish to have a Paypal account because I have a bank account and a credit card account and that is quite enough for me and the model railway retailers I buy from seem perfectly happy that I pay them in that way.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1