Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 22:56, 46444 said:

If I want to represent 2644 in unlined black Bulleid Sunshine livery which would the best example to modifty. 

Here's a prototype photo. 

Ex-LBSCR Stroudley A1X 'Terrier' 0-6-0T no. 2644 taken from the platform at Hayling Island Station facing east across the throat of the goods yard. The ex LMS 20t Brake Van, when BR rebranded, served on the line until its closure some 25+ years later. 2644 would receive BR branding in April 1948 whilst allocated to Fratton shed but would move across country to Ashford in April 1949 and it was there that withdrawal symptoms set in exactly two years later. [Mike Morant collection]

Thanks in advance, 

Mark

They are offering '44 in SR green, I'd have thought that'd be the best one to repaint

Now in stock with photos updated on the individual pages for the locos that have arrived (you can tell by the couplings being placed in the NEM pockets). Bunker extensions for the BR versions still appear to be a concern but there is no rear view shot yet. Otherwise, very promising and excited for mine to arrive!

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3395-first-terriers-in-stock-now

25 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

One thing I have noticed with the new pictures of the released models. Shouldn't the BR pair have vaccum ejectors in the cab and vaccum pipes at each end?

Are they separate in a goody bag?  Not entirely unknown from Dapol.

Just a thought

Les

1 minute ago, Les1952 said:

Are they separate in a goody bag?  Not entirely unknown from Dapol.

Just a thought

Les

I'm not sure tbh, nothing has been said about a goody bag. I guess we'll find out in a few days when the first of them arrive with customers. 

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

One thing I have noticed with the new pictures of the released models. Shouldn't the BR pair have vaccum ejectors in the cab and vaccum pipes at each end?

Les

Quite right, more so as 32655 and 32661 were vacuum fitted only so the air brake pipes / equipment should also be abscent. 

Andy. 

On 26/03/2019 at 08:32, Ventnor said:

Hello

I'd like to wade into this debate on detailing. I have already commented on A1X smokebox rivets but there is something else that has not (to my knowledge) been touched on. This is the arrangement of air brake pipes and vacuum brake pipes.

Very noticeable on the real thing, particularly the dual braked locos, is the arrangement of air brake pipes and vacuum pipes on the front and rear buffer beams. The dual fitted A1Xs tended to have the vacuum pipes on the right hand side of the front buffer beam (as you look head on) and the air brake pipe on the left hand side. The vacuum pipe being in a lower position than air brake pipe on the front buffer beam and the vacuum pipe higher than the air pipe on the rear. It is noticeable that the Hornby representation of these features show a vacuum pipe only on the left hand side of the front and rear buffer beams of both BR representations (to reduce costs no doubt). Rails model of 32661 also shows the vacuum pipe on the left hand side (head on) which is incorrect for this loco. Neither model show any representation of the pipework along / under the running plate that connect these pipes to either the vacuum ejector or the air pump. This is maybe due to the Rails model being a 1st EP(?) and the Hornby model to keep costs and price down.

However, and this is another detail minefield, 32670 (formally KESR Bodiam), is a vacuum only fitted loco and at some point (I guess when sold by the LBSCR) was vacuum fitted with a vacuum pipe on the left hand side of the buffer beam (as you look head on). 32655 (formally Stepney) which ended up as vacuum only fitted also appears to have this arrangement. It would also appear that post preservation, 32678 (formally Knowle), has had the brake pipe arrangement changed from that carried in SR / BR days. I'm sure that there are other variations of brake pipe arrangement and don't envy the manufacturers in getting every variation correct for their chosen prototypes. The fact remains (and this is my point) that there is a significant amount of pipework associated with the train brakes. This also makes the front and rear buffer beams look quite cluttered on the dual brake fitted locos.

Both the Hornby and Rails models have their merits and omissions but I do tend to be swayed towards purchasing Rails models. Even with the issues regarding cab spectacles and the chimney (which are to be addressed) I think it captures the essence or a Terrier better than the Hornby model.  I wish them luck with their enterprise.

Regards

Andy.  

I flagged up the potential pit falls of vacuum and air brake fittings (or lack of them) in a previous post back in March 2019. I suppose I should have directed an email direct to Dapol rather than assume they read every post on RMWeb. Anyway, we'll see if they get the brake pipe arrangements right on the versions just delivered. Quite a major compromise or mistake if they don't. However; I still have 6 versions on pre-order.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Now in stock with photos updated on the individual pages for the locos that have arrived (you can tell by the couplings being placed in the NEM pockets). Bunker extensions for the BR versions still appear to be a concern but there is no rear view shot yet. Otherwise, very promising and excited for mine to arrive!

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3395-first-terriers-in-stock-now

The coal rails are indeed still wrong, as are the BR smokebox numberplates. Such a shame when Rails went to such lengths to get the A1 right, but at least they ought to be reasonably easy to remove and replace - in fact it looks like the numberplate is glued on, so it might be feasible to remove it intact and refix in the correct place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We have in stock the following plates for the New Rail’s of Sheffield  A1/A1X

32650, 32655, 32661

GWR No6

& the following No's if you want to re Number the locos

32640, 32642, 32670, 32674 & 32677

Plus GWR No5 Portishead

Edited by 247 Developments
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

So - next question - have rails started shipping yet? I know for my order that this has not been done yet (2 of the 3 ordered have come in).

Their post on Facebook said they would start shipping within the next few days. There must be a lot of them to sort out so it may take a while with limited staff and other orders to deal with

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Payment has been taken for my late crest BR purchase, but I've not received any delivery update yet. As mine was a recent transaction, I'm expecting it to be towards the end of the queue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pics of 32661 seem to show an air pipe but no Westinghouse pump, and no vacuum pipe:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35679/Dapol-4s-010-006-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1x-class-br-lined-black-late-crest-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-32661-dcc-ready

Some Terriers, but not 32661, seem to have had their vacuum pipe to the left of the hook looking face on, while those with dual pipes had the vacuum to the right and the air to the left.

This is not a major issue and is fixable, but it would have been nice to get a detail such as this right.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am looking forward to receiving miy order, obviously will be a few days till they start processing orders.. 

But I am still surprised looking at that BR version 32661, how many areas are just not right, when there's so many photos of this particular loco...  Like the coal rails, which are right on the O gauge and N gauge versions but OO I have no idea what's going on there.

I thought this was supposed to be a pedigree terrier from Rails? 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

I am looking forward to receiving miy order, obviously will be a few days till they start processing orders.. 

But I am still surprised looking at that BR version 32661, how many areas are just not right, when there's so many photos of this particular loco...  Like the coal rails, which are right on the O gauge and N gauge versions but OO I have no idea what's going on there.

I thought this was supposed to be a pedigree terrier from Rails? 

I agree the coal rails really don't look right at all. Maybe someone who knows 3D printing, or who knows casting in resin/whitemetal/etc, could do a better version? I think this is an area that Dapol/Rails will need to revisit to perfect the model, and make an improved version available as a replacement for current models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I agree the coal rails really don't look right at all. Maybe someone who knows 3D printing, or who knows casting in resin/whitemetal/etc, could do a better version? I think this is an area that Dapol/Rails will need to revisit to perfect the model, and make an improved version available as a replacement for current models.

Very strange - lining the coal rails up at the corners would have been a good start...  On a closer look (blowing up the Rails' images), it almost looks as if the back section has been fixed in the wrong way round - as in "inside out".  I think I can see indentations at the correct height to line up with the sides...

76307358_CoalRails.jpg.dc6404e05768b9cc0f1a03f1daea66d5.jpg

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
to clarify my point (hopefully...)
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Good thing I already 3D print them then haha.  Will have to check they fit this one. 

It's just details they missed out I don't get how... When Dapol have done it correctly on their 7mm and N gauge versions. 

But I agree I would of expect this to have been sorted from prototypes to production... 

Hopefully they can revisit it like Hornby has in some areas. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Ian J. said:

The pics of 32661 seem to show an air pipe but no Westinghouse pump, and no vacuum pipe:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35679/Dapol-4s-010-006-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1x-class-br-lined-black-late-crest-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-32661-dcc-ready

Some Terriers, but not 32661, seem to have had their vacuum pipe to the left of the hook looking face on, while those with dual pipes had the vacuum to the right and the air to the left.

This is not a major issue and is fixable, but it would have been nice to get a detail such as this right.

Is that an image of the corrected model ?. Issues as you describe were reported. Unless I am missing

something, Rails seem to be using the same image from months ago.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 09:56, Nick C said:

The coal rails are indeed still wrong, as are the BR smokebox numberplates. Such a shame when Rails went to such lengths to get the A1 right, but at least they ought to be reasonably easy to remove and replace - in fact it looks like the numberplate is glued on, so it might be feasible to remove it intact and refix in the correct place.

It looks as though Rails have started processing orders, at least one of mine has had the payment taken for it.

Re the BR versions, unless the images on the Rails website are still of the pre-production versions, still very disappointed with the BR versions - on the "face" on the locomotive, possibly the most noticeable part of any locomotive, the smokebox number plate is mounted noticeably too high. Yes, I realise that at least one of the preserved locos is so afflicted, but a quick look at Middleton Press's "Branch Line to Hayling" confirms the fact that the current pictures on the website show the smokebox number on 32661 to be mounted too high, and by a noticeable margin. I HOPE that the production versions have been amended.

1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

Is that an image of the corrected model ?. Issues as you describe were reported. Unless I am missing

something, Rails seem to be using the same image from months ago.

The pages, and photo's Rails have sent out recently show the newly delivered models and they have it.... also each model that had been delivered were updated I think with extra photos. It would be odd to update a page and show pre pro models and not the production ones.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Agree 2

I've just ordered the sound fitted 32655, I plan to backdate this into 1947 condition, unsure which number yet.

In case it's of any use to anyone else planning on doing the same thing, the numberplate appears to be a separately fitted detail. Hopefully this means it will be easier to remove than the condensing pipes, unsure though!

looking forward to seeing this loco in the flesh!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jack P said:

In case it's of any use to anyone else planning on doing the same thing, the numberplate appears to be a separately fitted detail.....

looking forward to seeing this loco in the flesh!

Totally agree with you on this Jack.

The smokebox number plate although noted as being too high is a bonus on being separately fitted for back dating. The shed code plate looks like it's printed as well. 

Look forwards to seeing how yours turns out. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

How do you cancel an order?  I just tried but because the deposit part has been "dispatched" it won't let me.

I don't do OO anymore so it is of no use to me.