Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Is that an issue? 

I didn’t think so at the time, ‘twas just an observation. But, now that you mention it, it could be confusing if someone responds to one iteration and subsequent readers are presented with a second iteration without indication of a change. That, after all, is the whole reason for flagging an edit in the first place. Init?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Explain to me what the Hornby Mk 3 sliding door carriage has to do with a Terrier.Unless of course you’re applying Rule 1.

i was simply giving an example of consideration when it comes to paying the extra £30.

Because your clearly having a dig, i run southern (western) 1930's>1947 and modern day GWR stock on the same layout, sometimes at the same time :good_mini:

I would also say that this thread has took a turn for the worse, it looks like battle lines have been drawn so to speak, everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone should be able feedback on their purchase, good and bad, a forum is to inform and discuss. i'm now going back over to bargain hunters mk2 :yahoo_mini: 

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

I would also say that this thread has took a turn for the worse, it looks like battle lines have been drawn so to speak, everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone should be able feedback on their purchase, good and bad, a forum is to inform and discuss.

Yes, well done - you contributed to making it worse. It's also unwise to use the word 'entitled' within my earshot as it is a pet hate.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
12 hours ago, PJT said:

I really, really don't like getting involved in this sort of thing, but in the interests of fair play to micklner, Phil, may I please suggest that you might be well served to find out from Andy Y. what his post said before he edited it; I must admit I gulped a bit at its harshness, too.

Pete T.

So after a very long day working, I'm supposed to get involved in some sort of chat to discuss every post on RMweb? No. And neither of us need to be baby sitting arguments all evening. It was IMHO a reasonable reply. You are welcome to disagree, even in a patronising tone, perhaps you would prefer that for the sake of our sanity, we just shut the thread down to let everyone cool off? Or should we both just work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to herd 25,000 bad tempered cats?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

So after a very long day working, I'm supposed to get involved in some sort of chat to discuss every post on RMweb? No. And neither of us need to be baby sitting arguments all evening. It was IMHO a reasonable reply. You are welcome to disagree, even in a patronising tone, perhaps you would prefer that for the sake of our sanity, we just shut the thread down to let everyone cool off? Or should we both just work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to herd 25,000 bad tempered cats?

Phil, I am really, genuinely very sorry you took my post to be patronising.  I absolutely didn't intend it that way; I worked very hard on making it as as fair minded as I could.  Nor was it intended in even in the slightest way as a criticism of you.  I was just trying to suggest, in as reasonable a tone as I could, that between micklner posting his comment and you responding to it, the thing he was commenting about had been significantly changed but (because there was no 'edit' comment) that change wouldn't have been apparent to you.  In other words, I was trying to help smooth over the situation, and that's absolutely all I was doing.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, PJT said:

between micklner posting his comment and you responding to it, the thing he was commenting about had been significantly changed but (because there was no 'edit' comment) that change wouldn't have been apparent to you. 

@NHY 581, my point. In a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, PJT said:

In other words, I was trying to help smooth over the situation, and that's absolutely all I was doing.

That is appreciated Pete. Sometimes it would be wiser if some people just thought "Andy's losing his **** again; I'd best keep my head down" rather than "Andy's losing his **** again, I'm going to make matters worse". The reason I was losing my rag was having to read stupid comments when I thought I'd finished a long day.

Right; just get back to Terriers please - ideally something new rather than repetition or something that should be dealt with through the appropriate channel  <- yes, that's an edit for anyone who may have previously missed it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That is appreciated Pete. Sometimes it would be wiser if some people just thought "Andy's losing his **** again; I'd best keep my head down" rather than "Andy's losing his **** again, I'm going to make matters worse". The reason I was losing my rag was having to read stupid comments when I thought I'd finished a long day.

Thank you Andy.  I'll now butt out of this.  My dad was a copper; he used to say to me, if you're unwise enough to find yourself between the two parties in a domestic dispute, prepare for all the fire to be turned on you.  I need to remember that a bit more sometimes (he also said, 'Never live in a corner house, they're burgled far more frequently' and we live in... a corner house).  I do understand where you were coming from last night and unfortunately your reading of which direction things were going in was proved correct earlier this morning.

Pete T.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

I would also say that this thread has took a turn for the worse, it looks like battle lines have been drawn so to speak, everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone should be able feedback on their purchase, good and bad, a forum is to inform and discuss. i'm now going back over to bargain hunters mk2 :yahoo_mini: 

As I read the post Andy just pointed out that the correct procedure regarding a complaint is for the aggrieved person to take the matter up with the retailer as the first action. I did not read it as a ban on discussing problems and faults. It would surely have been better for all concerned if Rails had been contacted and a solution found and agreed between the parties and this outcome reported along with details of the original problem. We would then all have been brought up to date with what was happening without the need for comments from Andy or Phil,

Back to the model. I made a comment about the vac pipes. The irony is that Dapol have produced a very good version that they supply with the B4.

Bernard

It's been a fractious 2-3 days, and I found myself thinking along the lines of Green Giraffe that the stress and difficulty of the current situation might be feeding into the febrile atmosphere here. It's not as if we're discussing Peco Bullhead track, after all (remember that one?)

Just to cap off (hopefully!) the bunker coal rail issue, I have now been told that, much as I'd guessed, it's a necessary tooling compromise to avoid the need to tool for two entirely different bunkers.  As I pointed out, Hornby have evidently made a similar decision, in their case it affects the A1.  There is a limit to what can reasonably be covered and, for my part, I would not condemn either manufacturer for such necessary commercial compromises, and pointing something out is not the same as criticising a manufacturer over it, so I don't condemn those who raised the point either, any more than I would condemn myself in similar circumstances!

As people probably know, I'm in favour of a bit of feedback, and, so, let's acknowledge the value of that to this project, e.g. the coal hole and the spectacle plate. Those who stepped forward made it better. 

Again, I'm sorry if some felt that the product was oversold, but, as I say, I do not feel that it was. I stand by its merits, both in absolute terms and relative to the alternative. On the whole I hope that mugging up on Terriers and gaining some insight into the manufacturing process along the way has improved the quality of my forum contributions on the subject (others may disagree !), but I freely apologise to those who feel that my attempts at objectivity suffered from my degree of involvement feeding in prototype research to Rails.  I really do not believe that it has, but, I was unable to acknowledge my involvement sooner than I did, and that went on longer than was comfortable for me, so, yes, I acknowledge that some may not like the look of the thing. I don't regret my involvement; I was lucky to have a chance to contribute a little to a really great product.   

I'm a customer, too, remember, so it's as important to me as it is to everyone else that the product we have eagerly awaited for so long is right.  Perhaps, without hubris, I might say I'm one of those for whom getting it right is especially important; the point was made that the more familiar one becomes with a prototype, the more one notices on the model, both good and bad, I'd suggest.

With this in mind, it's very much with a customer hat on that I wanted to say that I have been thrilled by my little Bodiam. For me it captures the character of the prototype and introduces a real look of scale fineness to representations of the class that I do not think we've seen before. To be quite candid, I had not really bothered about the "firebox glow", and hadn't realised until recently that it was even a feature of the DC version. Now I have seen it, I must say I am a convert (pace Capt. Kernow) and found it a really nice touch. 

So, I hope people won't mind a bit of 'happy customer' feedback, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the other A1s I have ordered.

IMG_9216.JPG.b6b91e2a4a644e9459baca120bed0490.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Or should we both just work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to herd 25,000 bad tempered cats?

Hmmmmm....

Is it wise to mention cats in a Terrier thread?

And on similar grounds perhaps Rails "Pedigree" claim went over some heads a little, some breeds of Terrier have pedigrees* as long as your arm!

Anyhow, Edwardians photos of his "Bodiam" show what a little bobby dazzler it is!

*Ok, some are more Chum, a bit of a dogs breakfast, but still...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

let's acknowledge the value of that to this project, e.g. the coal hole and the spectacle plate.

These are certainly points I've noted in the review for BRM and when you look closely there are elements which show clear air between the competing products, especially if you a DCC user, The Next18 socket is superior to having to fit a harnessed 6-pin decoder and the speaker is included and pre-wired for sound users. I prefer blackened wheelsets to silver tyres so that was a clear distinction for me as is the inclusion of vertical springing on the centre axle. I fear some have been judgemental without consideration of wider aspects and latching on to other elements like a baying herd. Once I've had one on the bench and looked at specification and execution there is a clear distinction.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

My late BR one arrived this morning and promptly confiscated for Fathers Day !!! Oh well missed at least one Christmas and 2 birthdays so guess I can't complain !

Did you get the money back from the confiscator, or are you paying for your own prezzie?   :whistle:

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

*Ok, some are more Chum, a bit of a dogs breakfast, but still...

Which one would you prefer to have as a pet?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PatC said:

It's a model, therefore there will be compromises. For £110 it is an outstanding piece of work and the people at Rails and Dapol fully deserve our congratulations and thanks, not our derision. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't buy it and go and build a kit instead ( which will cost a lot more). Frankly I'm still amazed that we can buy such fine models so cheaply. Have a look at the price of something similar in European HO.

I fully agree.

As an owner of a couple or so equivalent Prussian models (German pre-group!), I can confirm that were such a model available from a typical European manufacturer, it would easily cost between £200 and £300 - and that's without sound, digital and other effects.

So, lap it up guys - this gorgeous little loco is a bargain AND from photos posted previously, it is way better than the opposition.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Which one would you prefer to have as a pet?

As a pet, either would do but to be honest, the one that liked ME would be best!

(I've had Yorkies, Westies and Lakelands in the past, they've not been selected on having a "pedigree", rather they've all been "rescued")

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

My late BR one arrived this morning and promptly confiscated for Fathers Day !!! Oh well missed at least one Christmas and 2 birthdays so guess I can't complain !

Should hopefully  get some of it back but not all !!!! I guess something is better than nothing !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Its Friday, its a beautiful day to take a dog for a walk.

I dont have a dog.

I do own a new Terrier...

316EF90F-EDB7-47DD-8B98-D992AF0CD84A.jpeg.fb097c081f03d84093d9f5ba02895912.jpeg

it comes in its own box with a nice leaflet..

7EBBB1BC-CE7C-4FFD-A06A-9C6CE8E27FDC.jpeg.cf4a8c69de5854ad17fca15068cbca08.jpeg

it looks a lot better than its contemporary, to which I had 9 of already... Boxhill, Stepney, Whitechapel, Waddon, Sutton, Brighton works, 2635, 32636, 32640..

CF860196-631F-433C-910C-EF685ACD3E01.jpeg.68366623371569647cb7c8467b435f82.jpeg

Now I have a dilemma... with 9 old ones, the oldest one has been with me some 25 years and has a lot of memories.... do I start a trade in, give up personal history for new models...

I paused on the Hornby one to think, after all my P did stand out alongside..

8000197B-8E5F-435E-84F8-2CCDF456384F.jpeg.44ff74ee3f1b8833413133eaf2eef2f3.jpeg

ignoring the Terrier Terrorism above,  It was nice to see my Gipsy Hill looking at me this morning.

I think the Rails Terrier is worth the wait, I like the firebox glow, on DC. Dapol do make fantastic wheels for steam locomotives, the 43xx looks great too. I am DC only so many benefits dont apply, but its still a great loco.

E18F9B71-BDC1-4DDA-8356-14D91D84386B.jpeg.b7f60c6e2c3c185af8900db61f1aed6a.jpeg

I think both models worth the wait. My old  32636/40 may need to go. I’d let Boxhill go to, but my daughters attached to it, I’d let 2635 go but i’m attached to it. Brighton works looks a good swap.

So as much as they are nice, I’m not sure swapping all 12 is on the cards, and side by side I reckon I can forgive the 3mm in accuracy in Length and Height of the old one.

3B2CF259-6EEF-4256-9486-15CB1E60FDCB.jpeg.af0000b5a61d676e0ce7fc36586876e7.jpeg

But otherwise, I think they are fine... I will add a Leadenhall from Hornby, and i’m not sure who will sell me an IOW Southern one or a Brighton Works one, I’ll eval the Hornby one then,... it’ll keep me at an even 10 !

decisions decisions.

226CB197-F4B2-4DDA-9D14-7647D006E1A4.jpeg.5c6d8d028fbcf8ba5bbd5a38bef158a5.jpeg
Now I’m going to let my LBSCR Terrier take the SECR for a P...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

E18F9B71-BDC1-4DDA-8356-14D91D84386B.jpeg.b7f60c6e2c3c185af8900db61f1aed6a.jpeg

Could you stick a steel rule against the running plate on that? It may just be lens distortion but I think it may be bowed.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There does seem to be some 'downward' bowing of the running plate, on mine it's there a little.

Regarding the bunker, I'm pretty sure that the bunker for the original LBSC A1 and the LBSC conversion to A1X are the same are they not?* The only difference surely is the positioning of the lamp bracket? If that is so it still seems odd to me to choose to compromise the coal rail part in favour of the somewhat smaller lamp bracket.

Anyhoo, what I need now is a good quality proper sized representation of the coal rails, so I can cut the offending lamp bracket off and replace the existing coal rails.

Another thing I've remembered needs doing is lowering the safety valves, as the arms for them should be right on top of the dome, not three inches above it. Again, not a deal breaker, but would have been nice to see it right for final production.

*I know other owners, not LBSC, made different modifications to the bunker, mainly the IoW variation.

2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Anyhoo, what I need now is a good quality proper sized representation of the coal rails, so I can cut the offending lamp bracket off and replace the existing coal rails.

There is someone on ebay who I found while browsing selling 3d printed coal rails suitable for the Hornby terrier. Not sure if they'd fit the rails version. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking to that person I would say not, as the bunker on the Rails model is smaller than the Hornby one (they have both, so hopefully a modified version will appear soon) No I don't know which one is the correct size, but I have my suspicions.

Gary