Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is..

D62887D2-F3A2-472F-A732-0A402B1E3EBE.jpeg.4edd066766d422324da7d28184a22b92.jpeg

it is much more pronounced on one side than the other..

4B3AFF0B-12D5-4634-8150-F5C81C1E070F.jpeg.5d5583878ccf435ed5b5f2bc2f1fac36.jpeg

There is a good 1mm on one side, 0.5 on the other.

i note there are two screws under the tanks at opposite sides, ive loosened them to see if it releases the pressure..

2602FFF7-F89C-4A67-8A3E-1F59AAA347D6.jpeg.a646cfa361bb13433b7113276c22f254.jpeg

it does not, the body is glued to the chassis, and it is rigid, without a full dismantle, straightening it isnt going to be possible.

I suspect I have found the root cause however...

3F913F0D-F6F1-4737-BEEE-8C4803B8E38F.jpeg.4ad704dc04cf9037a909dec38815456d.jpeg

the chassis has a neomagnet piece, wired to the blanking chip. I cannot figure its purpose, however it sits in a void specifically created on one tank side... to put the magnet in, requires placing it first, before reassembly of the chassis, however, being magnetic it instinctivly attracts to the motor top..., placing it in the side in itself is insufficient, it is not retained and its quite powerful... so it moves.

To add to the complexity, its wires, and the motor wires are quite tight around the shell... replacing the chassis, without snatching the wires and dislodging the magnet took several attempts... attempts which it is very much human nature to give it a squeeze... The only point that can happen is holding it on the boiler or cab roof, as theres lots of detail elsewhere. That squeeze would manifest the pressure exactly where the bow is in the frame... and opposite bow according to the tank screw positions at the end of the tanks, hence the distorted warp.

Sorry for the bad news ! I’d be interested to see if its just mine.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The issue is now under investigation up at Rails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

the chassis has a neomagnet piece, wired to the blanking chip. I cannot figure its purpose,

Yes, that's the pre-wired sound speaker which sits in the tank side.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Mine is similar, not quite so bad.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

placing it in the side in itself is insufficient, it is not retained and its quite powerful... so it moves.

The speaker should be stuck to the inside of the tank by a black sticky O ring around it. This seal is important if you are using it for sound.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nile said:

The speaker should be stuck to the inside of the tank by a black sticky O ring around it. This seal is important if you are using it for sound.

Nothing sticky on my ring, its just loose, but it attracts very strongly to the motor (its a neo magnet).

I was wondering if having such a strong magnet close to the armature would affect performance, or strain in the long term, but it runs fine

Starts up at 0.03a peaks at 0.1a in the range of its peers.

636727A8-23B7-4CF0-BB3E-38564D0266FE.jpeg

if anything its improved it..
3FF65EC0-393B-46B5-8F35-851A53A04BB3.jpeg.bd50c01053dd0168deee26af7fbc535e.jpeg

C4C0A889-57B3-41F1-8940-F5F55874C203.jpeg

The trick to assembly, is place the magnet first (yellow) , then pivot the edge of the DCC blank under the lip of the tank (red),  next ensure the flickr is free of the firebox (green), then the front drops in but make sure the wires are under the boiler(blue). Its not the easiest easy fit, but its not too hard.

0122FE4C-84F1-49D4-A8B4-340FE688FA02.jpeg.e4908b5a691df20e5ee15f0df26448fc.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Talking to that person I would say not, as the bunker on the Rails model is smaller than the Hornby one (they have both, so hopefully a modified version will appear soon) No I don't know which one is the correct size, but I have my suspicions.

Gary

I got an update on this from someone that has both models, and drawings of the class, turns out the Rails version is too short, it's only 1mm out, but the whole loco is short by a scale 3"

LBSC Terrier length 23ft so 92mm in 4mm
Hornby Terrier 92mm
Rails Terrier 91mm

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, scots region said:

Aww, dang it. 

I know, biggest error ever :jester:

I only mention it to update my comment about the coal rails for the Hornby model potentially not fitting the Rails / Dapol one

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I know, biggest error ever :jester:

I only mention it to update my comment about the coal rails for the Hornby model potentially not fitting the Rails / Dapol one

The bent footplate is gonna be more of an issue though. Plus today my DP2 from eBay arrived and while the model is as described, its worth at least £40 less that what I spent on it. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, scots region said:

Plus today my DP2 from eBay arrived and while the model is as described, its worth at least £40 less that what I spent on it

We don't need other irrelevancies in the topic.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, truffy said:

@NHY 581, my point. In a nutshell.

Well made. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Nothing sticky on my ring, its just loose, but it attracts very strongly to the motor (its a neo magnet).

I was wondering if having such a strong magnet close to the armature would affect performance, or strain in the long term, but it runs fine

Thanks for the useful post, I had no idea it came with a pre-fitted speaker.  Of course, if the speaker is of no use, it can be snipped off and left in the loco's box. They are normally easy to re-solder again.

If it is, then as Nile says, it should be stuck into place. A loose speaker sounds like........ 

I have two coming to me now, one with sound, one without and I've seen a few photos with bent running plates. A little worried really but we'll see when they arrive. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of wonky bits on the Rails Terrier....

Rob. 

• Agree 1

My late BR one arrived today too. An absolutely adorable model IMHO despite a lot of the comments here. (No sign of any bowed footplate too.) The sole thing that disappointed me is the lack of sprung buffers, a feature the lack of which I know some don't mind. (I accept sprung buffers are purely a personal preference and I had assumed it would have them like the B4 from Dapol and the P from Hattons, though I now see the terriers were not advertised as such.)  I look forward to the remaining three I have on order. I may even order a fifth one though I am also keen on a couple of B4s too, so it could be an expensive time.

Jeremy

p.s. I had already pre-purchased a Dapol Imperium Next-18 chip for it - are there any differences between the settings on a separately bought chip versus the factory installed ones? I ask as the manual implies that the factory installed chip is factory programmed and locked to the factory settings.

5 minutes ago, JeremyKarl said:

My late BR one arrived today too. An absolutely adorable model IMHO despite a lot of the comments here. (No sign of any bowed footplate too.) The sole thing that disappointed me is the lack of sprung buffers, a feature the lack of which I know some don't mind. (I accept sprung buffers are purely a personal preference and I had assumed it would have them like the B4 from Dapol and the P from Hattons, though I now see the terriers were not advertised as such.)  I look forward to the remaining three I have on order. I may even order a fifth one though I am also keen on a couple of B4s too, so it could be an expensive time.

Jeremy

p.s. I had already pre-purchased a Dapol Imperium Next-18 chip for it - are there any differences between the settings on a separately bought chip versus the factory installed ones? I ask as the manual implies that the factory installed chip is factory programmed and locked to the factory settings.

If it is a plain DCC chip, there should not be any difference. Only one is prefitted and the other requires you to pre-fit it. Both will have loco number set to 0003 by default for which the end user to change to the number of their desire.

Glad to see yours arrived in perfect ship shape.

Sprung buffers are probably hard/impossible on the terrier due to a major part of the buffer shank going above the running plate. 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JSpencer said:

If it is a plain DCC chip, there should not be any difference. Only one is prefitted and the other requires you pre-fit it. Both will have loco number set to 0003 by default for which the end user to change to the number of their desire.

Glad to see yours arrived in perfect ship shape.

Sprung buffers are probably hard/impossible on the terrier due to a major part of the buffer shank going above the running plate. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I was surprised by the language of the manual as I had assumed no difference re chip settings too. I normally prefer to fit my own chips - it's an excuse to look inside if nothing else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeremyKarl said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I was surprised by the language of the manual as I had assumed no difference re chip settings too. I normally prefer to fit my own chips - it's an excuse to look inside if nothing else.

If it is like the Dapol B4, be careful when you take it apart. The special moving axle arrangement is said to be a cow to put back right if it pops out as you remove the chassis clear from the body on the B4 model. (and don't forget the prefitted loosely fitted speaker as well).

• Thanks 1