Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

That looks a little gem.

As you say, the ongoing thing I've always disliked with this issue is that cap - the rest looks superb.

Al.

But why do you dislike it?

At first glance it does look a bit naff, but looking at a good number of images, the actual fit seems to vary considerably. Mine looks just about right for the actual locomotive and the period that it depicts.

It would be quite an easy job to add a dab of filler and sand smooth if the gap offends. But best check against dated photos first if after accuracy rather than appearance.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

It is indeed.

As I've only had my Terrier model for a few hours, I thought I would check

the chimney on mine. Here is a view as near head on as I could get it,

and it seems OK.

Some times a camera angle can distort things, but in the case of your

32655, that chimney is definitely wonky. 

P1430165.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

OK, push-to-shove ... I was asked.

Excellent quality close-up shot.

Bottom of the cap is an obviously smaller diameter than the rest of the chimney - that's what peeves me - just because it's something which I feel should have been picked up and corrected.

OK, just my opinion.

It's in a similar vein to the Hattons AB situation - should have been picked up and corrected before signing off.

It's possibly 'obvious' as the rest is so good.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

As I've only had my Terrier model for a few hours, I thought I would check

the chimney on mine. Here is a view as near head on as I could get it,

and it seems OK.

Some times a camera angle can distort things, but in the case of your

32655, that chimney is definitely wonky. 

P1430165.JPG

I'm sorry to say but it does look as if yours bends the other way. Either that or the lamp iron is throwing it all out. 

But it looks like the lamp iron lines up with the coupling hook on the buffer beam. 

Best way is place a square vertically in front. 

Rob. 

25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm sorry to say but it does look as if yours bends the other way. Either that or the lamp iron is throwing it all out. 

But it looks like the lamp iron lines up with the coupling hook on the buffer beam. 

Rob. 

Hook and Lamp Iron go to the right. Chimney perhaps slightly left. First two are a easy fixes.

The Clack Valves have the same problem right slightly lower than left .

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

...It's possibly 'obvious' as the rest is so good.

I am much of this opinion. As models improve, a minor lack of fidelity 'shouts' far louder than it would have done on a less refined model - where it might even have gone completely unremarked.

As with all petite items, the 'miniature' tension lock coupler is a leering brute! A superior RTR alternative autocoupler - less obtrusive with some approximation to three/screw link appearance, and if possible correctly positioned -  just invites someone with small mechanism expertise to start the revolution.

• Agree 1

I feel better now !. It could be an illusion but the loco on the left might have a wonky chimney.

Also note what a minefield of detail differences  there are between these two.

Different chimneys, one on the left has sand boxes, a step and handrail on the tank front.

32678 on the right has neither. Perhaps some enterprising soul could produce some 

spark arrestors for the Terrier, a requirement on the Ha196907.jpg.71121cfd970edd6ad3e6b1b2ae2d9d15.jpgyling Island branch.

• Like 4

Both ex IOW locos, 32646 has a LBSC chimney, 32678 a Drummond, The front footsteps and handrails were an Island mod fitted to the last three terriers over there.  Not obvious but the front cab windows on 46 are also different, these are a hinged opening type from the LSWR O2.

The chimney shown on 32646 still exists (the loco itself now carrys a Drummond), the LBSCR chimney is entirley fabricated, the copper cab is cosmetic and is just rivetted around the tube of the chimney. The base is also fabricated and the entire assembly is not very substantial at all, it could easily be bent in service.

Pete   

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

I have been contemplating investing in a couple of these new terriers and have noted the various faults found as compared with those on the Hornby version, several of which have now been corrected.

Looking at this head on shot, I was wondering if, rather than the chimney leaning to one side, perhaps the footplate actually dips slightly on the right hand side and the smokebox/chimney is leaning with it ? The problem of the sagging/twisted footplate has been picked up earlier by several new owners, so perhaps a side on shot would confirm it one way or the other. It seems that the method of construction and assembly have produced a model which the manufacturer needs to assemble very carefully to ensure everything stays straight and square.

So when I buy a couple of these the first thing I will do is check that everything is sitting straight. Pity I cannot buy them from my local shop, as I could then check them in the shop before taking them home.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Had another look at the picture

20 hours ago, micklner said:

Hook and Lamp Iron go to the right. Chimney perhaps slightly left. First two are a easy fixes.

The Clack Valves have the same problem right slightly lower than left .

Without one to hand, I don't know how the thing is put together - but could the whole boiler be on the skew ?

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 13:41, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is it me or is that chimney rather wonky? 

forgive me copying a close up of the original buyers image...

The redlines are horizontal lines drawn across the base lines of the chimney Cap, smokebox numberplate and side tanks.

I then adjusted the whole image 5 degrees, and drew the yellow lines.

DF810CF2-044E-459B-98B7-1228B37D474B.jpeg.97d694ea19c23c5d86cbd0d3f7e8e29a.jpeg

you’ll notice all redlines are now at the same 5 degree angle, all yellow lines align to a nice symmetry of the tanks, chimney and smokebox numberplate.

my opinion, the camera was 5 degrees off horizontal, (Actually 4.something that I couldn’t be bothered to get that accurate), that or is the whole loco is off at an angle ?

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

forgive me copying a close up of the original buyers image...

The redlines are horizontal lines drawn across the base lines of the chimney Cap, smokebox numberplate and side tanks.

I then adjusted the whole image 5 degrees, and drew the yellow lines.

you’ll notice all redlines are now at the same 5 degree angle, all yellow lines align to a nice symmetry of the tanks, chimney and smokebox numberplate.

my opinion, the camera was 5 degrees off horizontal, (Actually 4.something that I couldn’t be bothered to get that accurate), that or is the whole loco is off at an angle ?

Sorry but I don't agree.

Here is the original image unrotated, overlaid are 4  rectangles inserted dead square into the image:

• the bottom showing the relativity between track sleepers and buffer bar, it suggests the whole image is very slightly tilted to the left
  • The next 2 blue rectangles sitting on top of the buffer bar shows that to be square in the image (hence slightly right when allowance is made for the slight tilt in the image) parallax affects the tank sides but the tank leans to the right
  • The top red rectangle shows the clear tilt to the right of the funnel

edit: with new image adding 4th rectangle to imageTerrier1.jpg.1f83bb3c86bd2128bf9e8832500e9a59.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Sorry but I don't agree.

Here is the original image unrotated, overlaid are 4  rectangles inserted dead square into the image:

• the bottom showing the relativity between track sleepers and buffer bar, it suggests the whole image is very slightly tilted to the left
  • The next 2 blue rectangles sitting on top of the buffer bar shows that to be square in the image (hence slightly right when allowance is made for the slight tilt in the image) parallax affects the tank sides but the tank leans to the right
  • The top red rectangle shows the clear tilt to the right of the funnel

edit: with new image adding 4th rectangle to imageTerrier1.jpg.1f83bb3c86bd2128bf9e8832500e9a59.jpg

The tank tops don't aline in your image.. compare one side to the other. The top blue Horizontal line. Neither do the vertical sides of the tanks... we dont know the depth / quality of lens used, especially at close range.

inconclusive.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The tank tops don't aline in your image.. compare one side to the other. The top blue Horizontal line. Neither do the vertical sides of the tanks...

Also; the ejector pipe is on a diagonal from the smokebox to the cab, it should lie flat along the boiler until it "dog legs" up if it is to reflect the prototype. It could be twisted back into position maybe? It might be worth asking Rails if they'd replace it given the number of potential issues with this particular model. It could also be left as is of course, sorry to flag it up.

Purchased Rails model:

image.png.7b6d02c21df119c1eb3d0ea0b81691c2.png

Prototype 32655:

image.png.c4e93dbb69ad28eead626ec82f9b02b7.png

Kind regards

Andy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The tank tops don't aline in your image.. compare one side to the other. The top blue Horizontal line. Neither do the vertical sides of the tanks... we dont know the depth / quality of lens used, especially at close range.

inconclusive.

Bloody hell thats a bit off.

42 minutes ago, Silly Moo said:

Look at the buffers, they appear to be different sizes, I suspect it’s more a case of distortion caused by the camera angle. 

Supported by the fact that the rails exit the frame at different angles!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ventnor said:

Also; the ejector pipe is on a diagonal from the smokebox to the cab, it should lie flat along the boiler until it "dog legs" up if it is to reflect the prototype. It could be twisted back into position maybe? It might be worth asking Rails if they'd replace it given the number of potential issues with this particular model. It could also be left as is of course, sorry to flag it up.

When it arrived, my first thought was that it just wasn't pushed in properly at the cab end, but it is in place and simply sticks out at this odd angle. I haven't actually looked at manipulating it as it hasn't bothered me that much.

For the avoidance of doubt regarding the chimney to those who have put squares on the original image, whilst the image isn't perfect, there is definitely a significant slant of the chimney. No camera trickery, the issue is there. Another RMWeb member has dismantled their terrier and kindly sent me the shots of the smokebox/funnel set up and it does not look like an easy, accessible fix.

I have been weighing up returning this model, but remain undecided. If I could just pop into the shop and swap it, I'm sure I would do, but obviously this is not yet possible. It has run very well, and the overall loco is a huge upgrade on my other terriers, the issues that bother me the most are in the assembly/QC rather than in the design.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

adb968008

"The tank tops don't align in your image" - I agree, and acknowledged  this with my comment "but the tank leans to the right"

Silly Moo and Truffy

"I suspect it’s more a case of distortion caused by the camera angle"

"Supported by the fact that the rails exit the frame at different angles!

Any distortions caused by the camera not being square on do not affect the horizontal / vertical planes significantly for objects of similar distance from the lens viz. buffer, tank front and chimney.

The effects are more obvious with the depth of field when viewing the track.

The Buffer is very close to horizontal in the image frame, the tank top should also be horizontal which I and adb968008 agree it is not. There is a significant tilt down to the right.

Similarly the chimney should be at right angles to the reference line of the buffer beam, viz. vertical and it very clearly is not.