Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I was replying to someone that asked when they had made that claim. 

Which you did indeed with an overdose of self indulgent relish..What exactly are you attempting to achieve other than a distasteful quasi feral gloat over an unfortunate set of circumstances. ?  Replying  ? That’s your reason......?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But this is really a problem with buying by mail order for the simple reason that you are not in the shop inspecting the goods before you take the model home.   I fully realise that mail order is keeping many model railway retailers alive, especially at the present time, but there is a lot to be said - if you can do it - for examining the model and seeing it test run before you leave the shop even if that might add inconvenience or delay to your making the purchase.

Unfortunately some people don't have the luxury of a local model shop.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I'm looking forward to having a little bean of a loco equipped with sound! DCC is still a relatively new thing for me, so the sound element is still very new and exciting!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m finding this quite amusing. I feel sorry for anyone who has had this happen to them of course, but I do feel that Rails have done this to themselves. All that talk of the “pedigree” terrier and being better than the Hornby one, it’s rather kicked them in the teeth. 

One wonders if it is coincidental that the second batch due at the end of May appears to be running late - 100% sort at Dapol in Chirk possibly ?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unfortunately some people don't have the luxury of a local model shop.

Or even if they did, they've been/are prevented from going there due to the lockdown / social distancing rules. The shop's probably shut, mind you, for the same reason. So mail order's the only game in town.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Or even if they did, they've been/are prevented from going there due to the lockdown / social distancing rules. The shop's probably shut, mind you, for the same reason. So mail order's the only game in town.

Not after Monday coming in the UK.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

They duly did as requested and I received....as I always do....exemplary service.

Oliver will probably be giving me a good cussing for bringing this up now.But there...

Yes I’ve just had a faulty B4 and emailed them last night when I tested it. I got a return label and apology first thing today. They can’t test everything especially at the moment with reduced staffing without causing uproar why others have been left waiting ;) 

Their email assured me the replacement will be checked so it doesn’t happen twice. 
It may be a little disappointing but with such an efficient return it’s only another few days to wait ;) 

The only minor inconvenience to me is I’ve avoided the superstore that has the post office because of queues so I’ll try this evening while everyone hopefully is having tea! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not after Monday coming in the UK.

Roy

For the majority of shops, hopefully, true.

Bit more of a problem for the Rails Terrier, though, in that it's only with Rails of Sheffield (except of course for the Locomotion model) so for the vast majority mail order will be the order of the day.

I agree, though, that given the apparent number of faults, if I lived near the shop and wanted one I'd definitely go to the shop in person and sort through the stock until I found a good one.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Which you did indeed with an overdose of self indulgent relish..What exactly are you attempting to achieve other than a distasteful quasi feral gloat over an unfortunate set of circumstances. ?  Replying  ? That’s your reason......?

I was pointing out with my original post that Rails had claimed this would be the perfect Terrier in every detail, and it has failed to do so, whether it’s down to QC or manufacturing issues. 

8 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

One wonders if it is coincidental that the second batch due at the end of May appears to be running late - 100% sort at Dapol in Chirk possibly ?

I think Rails will be taking extra care to ensure this second batch has much better QC than the first one. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I was pointing out with my original post that Rails had claimed this would be the perfect Terrier in every detail, and it has failed to do so, whether it’s down to QC or manufacturing issues. 

Ah, but if you've got a good one, is it better than any alternative?

Perfection is impossible, not least in a RTR 00 model. I won't start to list the imperfections...

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ummm, no. They claimed "pedigree", which is not the same as "perfect". Or have I missed something?

But, I have to admit to some trepidation...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I think Rails will be taking extra care to ensure this second batch has much better QC than the first one. 

You were “pointing out” ?  With I recall a degree of amusement....is that correct ? Why might that be so ?  So then one assumes that now,given the passage of time that occurs in a model in transit from Sheffield UK to NZ ,you will now be in a position to give us the benefit of your considered empirical judgement on this model ?  I keenly await your comments when it arrives.

Meanwhile,if you have anything of practical value to add in terms of hands on in modelling terms with the Terrier  other than in terms of virtual reality I’m sure we’d all be grateful .....or not. If you have a vested interest,you could of course engage with Rails on the matter .I eagerly await your response soon 

• Like 2

Last friday we received the Terrier model but unfortunately it was a disappointment.

No good runner and poor pick ups 

Nice good looking model but if every single one has the same behavior than better keeping on using the Hornby ones.

We spoke to Rails and a prepaid  label was sent in order to return the model and immediately, of course as expected , we were told that our test layout could be blamed for this poor performance.

Awaiting for their report

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Update on my friend's Terrier saga:

The replacement for the original 643 (which had missing detail) got returned as well due to broken smokebox dart, the third one ( ! ) I'm told appears A1 in all respects and runs well.

On Bodiam, however, which has the cab steps missing, he agreed with Rails that a set of replacement steps he could affix himself were sent ASAP. Over two weeks, and several e-mails and phone calls with various staff later, these still haven't materialised. Whether Rails or Royal Mail, don't 100% know, but given the initial issues with both models he is far from impressed.

I understand they've now promised to despatched them first class, within 24 hours; it'll be interesting to see if this happens or whether the "issues" with this locomotive continues. Update to follow.

He is also giving serious thought to cancelling his remaining 2 (both due in the second batch) due to the list of issues he's had so far.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Well, my third "Bodiam" has arrived!.... and will be going straight back tomorrow. This one has managed, somehow, to be worse than the other two, with three separate faults. I asked Rails, when I returned the last one, to look at this one for me, but it was unopened in the box. I know that, with their size of trade, you can't inspect every single item. That's just not practical. But I really am hoping someone takes a look at the next one before they send it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Fireline said:

Well, my third "Bodiam" has arrived!.... and will be going straight back tomorrow. This one has managed, somehow, to be worse than the other two, with three separate faults. I asked Rails, when I returned the last one, to look at this one for me, but it was unopened in the box. I know that, with their size of trade, you can't inspect every single item. That's just not practical. But I really am hoping someone takes a look at the next one before they send it!

I admire your patience with regard to this model.

As nice a looking loco that the Rails/Dapol Terrier is, I think I'd be looking at a full refund and a replacement in the form of the newly improved Hornby variant. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear

2 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I admire your patience with regard to this model.

As nice a looking model that the Rails/Dapol Terrier is, I think I'd be looking at a full refund and a replacement in the form of the newly improved Hornby variant. 

Thanks Bear. I already have the Hornby KESR version, but I wanted the Rails one as it is an A1. I have to admit, my patience is wearing thin though.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A tale of three Terriers...

19th May... Terrier 1: The Trend Setter

B66B91C1-1532-41BD-8C48-4D1F2C9C0D06.jpeg.895dab4af694dba9dee63c9d3077bb65.jpeg

unfortunately it was pointed out there was a droop..

4EE4BA87-CBB2-4782-A281-279FBFD17301.jpeg.c51d49639f0be92f179747da31a54528.jpeg

Oliver at Rails reached out, sent a label and back it went on the 20th...

Confidence high, on the first one, despite its issue, I felt happy enough with what I saw to order 2 further Rails examples.. they feel to have done a good job, and at £20 more for the flicker I’ll go with a gimmick, especially when it keeps entertainment in my little one, and tbh... theyve done a really nice job, cab roof aside.

so, D-Day comes, 

June 6th: Terrier 2: The Dogs Dinner

17 days later... For a 96 hours postage Journey...

ED795E3A-716B-4666-B0B3-E589581188F8.jpeg.5536584c83cbde64867a73e0396893cd.jpeg

Looks straight enough, when aligned to the lines of my cutting mat..
unfortunately, theres paint on the buffer heads, its missing its smokebox door darts....

CF039659-3112-44EA-BDA0-1F08939180F8.jpeg.7f8b95cfa4619d86a0549d3b17a7c22c.jpeg

Now i’m keen to defend this Terrier, I think the finish is very good and it has some very attractive points over its contemporaries and I am prepared to give it  A thumbs up... if only I actually have one to to play with...

June 13th Terrier 2a: Sniffing around

Disappointed, jaded, I decided to go downtown, and found my self in the arms of another dog. Sniffing the lonely alleyways of the bargains pages, I found an ad.. a deal too good to be true. Another pretty pooch, shiny, tweaked and cheap.. it said 20% off the 20% off.. £63 new, innocent and yellow..

18C9EC9A-6EF8-4D46-A5AB-8B3928D03288.jpeg.164159926310c542c657f0f417179d4d.jpeg

she does exactly what the ad says... she arrived on Monday 15th, 2 days, one of those was a Sunday, she goes like a  Terrier, smells like a Terrier, looks like a Terrier... she must be a Terrier.

June 16th Terrier 3: The lost dog

10 days later, I followed up on my Replacement Terrier, on its next 4 day return journey to Sheffield.. I was told it was being sent.... its now June 19th:

72 hours have passed since it was sent 48 hours post, which was:

312 hours since it was returned the second time, which was :

744 hours since the first one was returned.

all I have now is proof of posting..

BB013DF7-97B8-4BAA-AF02-D70A3F9AB02E.jpeg.040b8a6d596ac9902b6c9672e8b5bb1b.jpeg

Maybe shes smelled the scent of another dog, but she’s gone....

so alas I am left with only one option...

F943E2D5-D360-4DC9-8C4B-F75F05CCEBA6.jpeg.64a74b6419772caa0741c8a06b340cb6.jpeg

Despite Tuesdays communication that they have it, and have sent a replacement, its been sitting in the Royal Mail depot in Sheffield since June 10th, Rails has not collected it yet... I dont know what to believe.

1E7916A7-95C2-4ABF-9EF4-81B4E880BC8F.jpeg.55b834ac54ec3e03b3994788e81afc15.jpeg

if I’d bought one it would arrive in a couple of days, perhaps rather than returning asking for replacement, I should just ask for a refund and buy another ?

I have 12 Terrier, + 1 new one. I am contemplating replacing most of those 12...  Its really hard to be objective and fair about this model and make a buying decision, when most of the time its not in my posession.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

My 643 had smokebox handles broken off but inside the packaging. I phoned Rails, suggesting that I’d be willing to fix new handles on if a spare set was available. That, I was told, would invalidate the warranty. So I was e-mailed a return label. I posted it on a Friday and it arrived at Rails the following Tuesday. The Monday after that, a brand new replacement was despatched by Rails and it arrived the following Thursday (the day before yesterday). Be patient. In these times, both Rails and Royal Mail are busy. I must add that the friendliness and cheerful helpfulness of Rails on the phone was exemplary.

It’s a little gem. Absolutely beautiful. Not quite as quiet or smooth as the Hornby one but a good runner nonetheless. My second Hornby one is on its way. I can guess the way this is going to turn out. Wainwright Ps, Andrew Barclays, Pecketts large small and smaller. I am putty in the hands of these devils of manufacturers. :senile:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m very pleased to hear that you have a good replacement model but puzzled by the fact that had you replaced the broken parts on the faulty one you would have invalidated the warranty. 

Does this mean that any minor cosmetic modifications or repairs will invalidate the warranty?  A complete range of spare detail parts is supposed to be available. If for instance,  I knock the steps off my model and glue them back on again and the next week the motor packs up does that mean I have invalidated the warranty and the motor isn’t covered? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silly Moo said:

I’m very pleased to hear that you have a good replacement model but puzzled by the fact that had you replaced the broken parts on the faulty one you would have invalidated the warranty. 

Does this mean that any minor cosmetic modifications or repairs will invalidate the warranty?  A complete range of spare detail parts is supposed to be available. If for instance,  I knock the steps off my model and glue them back on again and the next week the motor packs up does that mean I have invalidated the warranty and the motor isn’t covered? 

If it helps, a couple of weeks ago some Rails staff themselves were asking people with missing detail that, if they sent the replacement parts out, would they be prepared to fit them themselves (which itself implies that they're not confident about the ones they have in stock). I myself would say you've got to make an assessment - if it's something you are 100% confident you can do yourself, and indeed it has been suggested by Rails themselves, then do - protecting yourself with a covering letter to Rails - but if not 100% then back it goes.

Re the next batch, one of them is "Brighton", where both Rails and Hornby have versions releasing in due course. I know which one I'd order if I was ordering from scratch....

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Poor grammar

4 hours ago, Silly Moo said:

It is curious. Rails and Dapol may be exceptional in having spares available. I have found that the simple and obvious way (from my point of view) of dealing with an unsatisfactory purchase often turns out badly and however clunky a solution it may seem to be, it is usually safer to return the item in question for a replacement. In my particular case, it ended well. I have probably invalidated the warranty anyway. I saw two small semi-circular holes at the bottom of the empty coal bunker (ex-works carried to an extreme), so in case glue seeped through them, I removed the body before I put coal in the bunker and glued it in place. By the way, it’s easy taking the body off but tricky getting it back on again.

• Informative/Useful 1