Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Will it be the model it should have been in the first instance ?

Or once a dog, always a dog ?

From a purely personal viewpoint, I sincerely hope it's the former.

What an appropriate metaphor in a discussion about Terriers. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

Edited by burgundy
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

I have purchased a Rails/Dapol Terrier with sound. My locomotive did not want to start by itself it needed a bit of assistance. I cleaned the wheels and it still would not start nor slow run everytime it stopped it would not restart. I am well used to Zimo sound decoders and this is not one of their characteristics. As my other small locomotives all work on the same lengths of track I returned it to Rails on the 14th they told me there was not a replacement available I asked for a refund to which they agreed and to order a non-sound version. They then seven days later told me it was waiting to be tested! I clearly told Rails I did not want it back. Despite emails saying they will refund so far nothing has happened and my trust in them is almost exhausted. This not refunding promptly is a stupid approach as I have over the past 4 year purchased over £4,000 worth of models from them and I will probably cancel everything else I have on order. The Terrier looks great but I don't want a static display item costing £239 plus postage. So be warned after sales is everything.

• Like 1

Was the sound still running when it wouldn't start ?

Mine did that a few times from new but after a few runs backwards and forwards down my 2m test track it seemed to be ok.

I assumed it just needed running in but i don't have anything to do that on at the moment. 

I might test it a bit more, don't want to find out once the warranty has expired that it has an issue.

Jim

2 hours ago, Chuff34006 said:

I have purchased a Rails/Dapol Terrier with sound. My locomotive did not want to start by itself it needed a bit of assistance. I cleaned the wheels and it still would not start nor slow run everytime it stopped it would not restart. I am well used to Zimo sound decoders and this is not one of their characteristics. As my other small locomotives all work on the same lengths of track I returned it to Rails on the 14th they told me there was not a replacement available I asked for a refund to which they agreed and to order a non-sound version. They then seven days later told me it was waiting to be tested! I clearly told Rails I did not want it back. Despite emails saying they will refund so far nothing has happened and my trust in them is almost exhausted. This not refunding promptly is a stupid approach as I have over the past 4 year purchased over £4,000 worth of models from them and I will probably cancel everything else I have on order. The Terrier looks great but I don't want a static display item costing £239 plus postage. So be warned after sales is everything.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've had an issue. I have sent you a PM and will happily look into this for you.

Thanks
Oliver

6 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've had an issue. I have sent you a PM and will happily look into this for you.

Thanks
Oliver

Hello Oliver,

Have you had any update as towards the last batch of Terriers at all? :)

Received my non-sound fitted 4S-010-006 yesterday to replace the problamatic sound fitted one which I returned to Rails. All the return refund probelm are now sorted.  I fitted the Zimo MX659N18 decoder I purchased of YouChoose, putting the body back on was a bit more of a challenge it look a lot of wiggling then it suddenly fitted. Unlike the previous one this one ran fine straight out of the box. I use Tillig track and it went through the double slips and point without any hesitation. Starts and stops with no problem. The motor sounded a bit noisy at first, a bit of tweaking of the motor control CVs in the Zimo decoder and it became quieter. Set up the chuff rate for the YouChoose sound I was using and away it went. You don't get a large volume from this setup due to the small size of the cube speaker. The sound is good and I have yet to setup/tweak the random sounds. Now it not only looks good but runs very well! Only query why no coal in the coal bunker! I will have to put some real coal in as per my other locomotives. I have two more on order and wonder how they will perform when they arrive (in time for Christmas?)

• Informative/Useful 1

On 30/07/2020 at 13:06, Chuff34006 said:

Only query why no coal in the coal bunker! I will have to put some real coal in as per my other locomotives.

Personally, I prefer no coal, or at least a load that’s easily removed or covered with something more authentic looking. But that’s just me. 

• Agree 7

19 hours ago, truffy said:

Personally, I prefer no coal, or at least a load that’s easily removed or covered with something more authentic looking. But that’s just me. 

No, it’s not just you (count your “agrees” :)). Despite some serious efforts on the part of manufacturers to improve the appearance of the moulded plastic coal, it still doesn’t look convincing to me. It’s certainly very unusual to make no attempt to model coal (Heljan’s 009 locos are another example) and I dare say that a few people will leave the model as it is; either through ignorance or because they like it modelled as if construction were just completed. I have partly filled the bunker on mine with real coal.

Likewise, I have coaled my Hornby Southern liveried Terrier, which has coal rails. However, turning to W10 Cowes, I noticed a tiny gap between the coal and the bunker. In went a blade and, after some forceful levering, the coal came off with a loud crack. I was left with this.

1637970331_W10CowesCoal.jpg.13a99be8beeefd32c94187913ba3b01b.jpg

No wonder it’s so heavy for its size! I haven’t decided yet what to do about it. Either I’ll glue the plastic coal back on or try to add enough small coal to conceal the shelf without piling the coal too high. One point against the Hornby Terriers without coal rails.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2020 at 16:57, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in a response. Yes I can confirm that the DCC fitted and DCC sound fitted models are the initially released models are beginning to be despatched. These are fitted here in the UK by Dapol and therefore are arriving with us in small batches. Initially it is the black version which have arrived. We are processing orders in date order.

The remaining models are still on track for delivery late July.

@Oliver Rails any update on when they are going to be delivered to you?

On 27/07/2020 at 21:17, Garethp8873 said:

Hello Oliver,

Have you had any update as towards the last batch of Terriers at all? :)

Following on from the previous update regarding the slight defect. Over the last few weeks following feedback which was given on a small proportion of the early A1 deliveries, we have made some improvements to our outstanding Terrier models.

We expect to see the eagerly awaited outstanding versions early next month.

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

I am not having much luck with my Rails/Dapol 4S-010-006 A1X Terrier. It was running well until yesterday when it stopped moving and smoke came out of it. No it does not have a smoke generator it was electrical smoke. I quickly shut off the power and removed it from the track. It still runs in Analogue mode witha strong smell of burnt wiring. I tested the decoder in my ESU decoder tester and it produced all the sounds and runs the motor in bothe directions. I will be returning this Terrier to Rails my faith in its quality is somewhat low at present.

• Informative/Useful 2

Wondering if someone can offer some advice, as rails has yet to respond. 

I'm planning on repainting my terrier when it arrives. This will require some alterations to be made to the body.  I've sprung for the sound fitted version, and my main concern revolves around what happens if something goes wrong.

If I repaint the loco but don't touch any of the electronics, and something fails, am I still covered under warranty? If it's something 'common' am I covered?

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Jack P said:

I repaint the loco but don't touch any of the electronics, and something fails, am I still covered under warranty? If it's something 'common' am I covered?

Cosmetic changes also usually apply I’m afraid as the loco has been altered and can’t be exchanged without additional work to swap chassis. That’s why it’s usual to include something about repair or exchange and you are advised to check a loco before altering anything. 
Rails are the only ones who can answer that if they will provide exceptions to a standard warranty which may incur additional charges because of swapping bodies. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 21:10, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

I have acquired five of the Hornby terriers and am very pleased with them. There are a couple of Rails ones which I would like to get, but I have been put off by the reports of the assembly problems, in particular the twisted footplates. Without wading through all the previous posts on this blog, can anyone advise if these problems are particularly prevalent on certain locos or if they afflict all the types ?

I think that the problems with the running on the Hornby model are due to the rather flimsy pickups they are using which are not very positive in maintaining contact as the wheels move from side to side. This problem  is not exclusive to Hornby, as I have found that those on Hattons P class and Andrew Barclay and some other recent locos are very similar. Have other members found the same problems ? I have made careful adjustments with a fine pair of tweezers, but avoided applying too much pressure as they will snap off.

All the best

Ray

Hornby are not always perfect either. Here is my IOW style number 13 which arrived yesterday. Note the deformed running plate towards the front of the chassis. I managed to fix it though.

Terrier.jpg

• Like 1

The looks odd.

Is the footplate deformed or is there something wrong with the chassis.

The axles look like they are not level with each other, is the quartering on the first axle out, emphasised by the coupling rod ? I don't  know how much lateral free play there is.

Possibly the body is not fixed onto the chassis properly or the chassis is twisted. Difficult to tell.

Does it run o.k. ?

Nobody responded to my enquiry as to whether the problems with the Rails Terriers were mostly with one batch (livery) or if they were across the board. It would be useful to know.

All the best

Ray

47 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The looks odd.

Is the footplate deformed or is there something wrong with the chassis.

The axles look like they are not level with each other, is the quartering on the first axle out, emphasised by the coupling rod ? I don't  know how much lateral free play there is.

Possibly the body is not fixed onto the chassis properly or the chassis is twisted. Difficult to tell.

Does it run o.k. ?

Nobody responded to my enquiry as to whether the problems with the Rails Terriers were mostly with one batch (livery) or if they were across the board. It would be useful to know.

All the best

Ray

The Hornby keeper plate was deformed. The axle floated freely in it. It ran ok until it met points!

Just want to let people know of my 'Terrier' experience. I received my second DCC sound-fitted 32655 from Rails last week. This was a replacement for the first one that had to be returned when it ran on my layout for about 6 feet and there was a loud bang due to what seemed to be a blown decoder. 

Anyhow, checked the replacement to ensure that the footplate was straight, no missing lamp-irons etc. & off it went. All ok until it came to a point & got stuck. I use peco code 75 & found that the bottom of the tension-locks was catching on part of the crossing. Adjusted these & all ok until I put it in reverse & found that it derailed when it came to joints in the track. Further investigation showed that the front sanders were too low & were catching in the rail joints. Another small adjustment & everything now ok. Tested it hauling a Bachmann birdcage trio set up a 3% gradient & handled it with ease. Very good at slow speed but I did have to tweak the pick-ups to stop it stalling on some of my crossovers.

This is my first sound-fitted 'steamer' which I purchased mainly to amuse the grandchildren. My wife was very impressed & after the inevitable "How much did that cost?" she remarked "that must make your other engines seem rather boring".

So overall, despite a few trials & tribulations, very pleased. I know it didn't run perfectly 'out-of-the-box'  on my layout but my own personal feeling is that a model like this cannot be expected to run perfectly on all types of track & the adjustments I had to make were all fairly simple. Well done Rails!

Philip

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

@Oliver Rails  Just wondering about the status of the LBSC Umber Terrier DCC fitted. Back in July you said all remaining models were due soon. I have just spoken to your sales line and they say its just been shipped from China! So a bit confused - because I have seen plenty of  pictures of the same version on this forum! Fully accept any delay due to the times we are in - just want to set my expectations as to when I might receive the model.

• Agree 1

On 24/08/2020 at 11:33, stephennicholson said:

@Oliver Rails  Just wondering about the status of the LBSC Umber Terrier DCC fitted. Back in July you said all remaining models were due soon. I have just spoken to your sales line and they say its just been shipped from China! So a bit confused - because I have seen plenty of  pictures of the same version on this forum! Fully accept any delay due to the times we are in - just want to set my expectations as to when I might receive the model.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your message. Sorry for the confusion. I can only surmise that the Sales team were confused with the next batch of Terriers leaving China. 

As for the LBSC terriers, there has been a slight delay decoder fitting, these have been fitted by Dapol in small batches and then posted to customers in date order. We do have another batch arriving next week and will hopefully be in touch soon.

Once again apologies for the delay and confusion

Thanks

Oliver

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

TERRIERS.jpg.6b755d75148e908f083b925d9d636ac1.jpg

We are pleased to announce that two of our new exclusive Rails / Dapol Terrier locomotives have arrived!

• 4S-010-008 Stroudley Terrier A1X Class WC & PR Lined Green 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.4 (DCC Ready)
  • 4S-010-010 Stroudley Terrier A1X Class GWR Green 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.6 (DCC Ready)

DCC Fitted and DCC sound fitted versions will follow shortly.

All other remaining versions are hot on the heels and expected soon. Pre-ordering is highly recommended as some have limited allocations remaining.

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3535-new-terriers-arrive

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

TERRIERS.jpg.6b755d75148e908f083b925d9d636ac1.jpg

We are pleased to announce that two of our new exclusive Rails / Dapol Terrier locomotives have arrived!

• 4S-010-008 Stroudley Terrier A1X Class WC & PR Lined Green 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.4 (DCC Ready)
  • 4S-010-010 Stroudley Terrier A1X Class GWR Green 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.6 (DCC Ready)

DCC Fitted and DCC sound fitted versions will follow shortly.

All other remaining versions are hot on the heels and expected soon. Pre-ordering is highly recommended as some have limited allocations remaining.

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3535-new-terriers-arrive

Excellent stuff! Can't wait for my No.6 too work on Fry's Somerdale, just like the real thing!

• Like 1