Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

1 hour ago, JRamsden said:

So, I received my 00 gauge Rails/Dapol Terrier in SR lined green No. 2644 today. I must say, what an exquisite model! Everything about it just seems very high quality and a huge step up from the old Hornby model. The details really pop and the colours (to my untrained eye) seem right and proper.

HOWEVER...

My version came with some cosmetic damages. The smokebox door handles had broken and were hanging off; it didn't take much for them to fall away completely. The front of the loco is also missing one of the sandboxes and feed pipe under the running board, left side. This appears to have snapped off at some stage but isn't inside the packaging. There is also some damage to the running board on one side, negligible to the naked eye, much more obvious under the lens.

IMG_00532.jpg.d3ca10ef3eb636dd7a9ae663859bd557.jpg IMG_00542.jpg.d1a575073ce2329c49c00f90cc5f68f8.jpg IMG_00562.jpg.58504d0d4f4f66a33e12eb31d5790173.jpg IMG_00582.jpg.173e0d8dbecd6526761f0548a017be76.jpg IMG_00632.jpg.2a92ee2042f3a553fdfc6b11205ad69c.jpg

The actual items that are broken are curious because they are not items I would expect to get high levels of handling nor would they normally be that delicate. The nature of the breakages suggests that they happened prior to packaging and had nothing to do with the subsequent transport of the item. Indeed, the packaging is more than sufficient.

I am waiting to hear from Rails.

My first Rails Terrier arrived damaged. Rails replaced it promptly, paying for postage, and the replacement was spot on. I hope your experience is as good.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Woof... I’m pleased to advise that my latest ex LBSC / SR A1x unlike a few of my recent Dapol purchases has arrived in one piece and runs straight out of the box... #phew #cute

Absolutely stunning loco; it looks fab on the layout. Glad to see you got a good one! I've seen others that have also received fully complete versions and they all look amazing. I'm looking forward to getting my replacement and giving it a run!

On 14/09/2020 at 14:11, No Decorum said:

My first Rails Terrier arrived damaged. Rails replaced it promptly, paying for postage, and the replacement was spot on. I hope your experience is as good.

So far the service has been prompt and faultless. They have assured me that they are checking the models that go out. Can't argue with that! :)

Edited by JRamsden

On 08/07/2020 at 17:57, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in a response. Yes I can confirm that the DCC fitted and DCC sound fitted models are the initially released models are beginning to be despatched. These are fitted here in the UK by Dapol and therefore are arriving with us in small batches. Initially it is the black version which have arrived. We are processing orders in date order.

The remaining models are still on track for delivery late July.

Hi Olivier,

Do you know when the remainder of the BR black 32655 sound fitted ones will be sent out? I see my order (March 2019) is still pending  but all the plain 32655s have now sold out on your site.

Thanks & Rgds John

29 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Hi Olivier,

Do you know when the remainder of the BR black 32655 sound fitted ones will be sent out? I see my order (March 2019) is still pending  but all the plain 32655s have now sold out on your site.

Thanks & Rgds John

Oliver posted about them being slightly delayed on the last page or so. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Hi Olivier,

Thanks & Rgds John

On 06/09/2020 at 00:18, Oliver Rails said:

Hi Jack,

There is a slight delay in obtaining the sound fitted models. We have currently therefore removed the listing from our site so that we do not continue to take orders for them. This is why the link you have will not work.  We are aiming to fulfil all outstanding sound fitted orders as soon as possible.

I apologise for the delay.

Thanks
Oliver

I asked a similar question, HTH

• Thanks 1

Picked mine up today, good news is it all appears to be intact, bad news is it appears to be drooping a little front left and back right but can't really notice from afar. I'll be honest if it wasn't pointed out on the first batch I wouldn't have looked out for it or noticed probably. :p

IMG_20200916_115453.jpg.9efd6ed14970378187154dadf8369f10.jpgIMG_20200916_115841.jpg.beea98039e5bccbb9a9343bb9851c2b2.jpgIMG_20200916_115937.jpg.4aab1d75e3a44ba6bd99acc6ddd1ac59.jpgIMG_20200916_115522.jpg.31e6823bc8dd903053c195835b384fc3.jpg

I'll give it a test on the layout this evening =) 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Typo
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Picked mine up today, good news is it all appears to be intact, bad news is it appears to be drooping a little front left and back right but can't really notice from afar. I'll be honest if it wasn't pointed out on the first batch I wouldn't have looked out for it or noticed probably. :p

I'll give it a test on the layout this evening =) 

Amazing! I'm really pleased everyone else seems to be getting a top-notch version of this terrier - or close to. Mine must have been in the minority for this batch.

Ultimately, I'm really pleased with the livery choice I made too. The green really sets off those copper/gold coloured fittings. 

Edited by JRamsden

Quick review, here's some comparison shots against Hornby 's 

IMG_20200916_173110.jpg.3afb7f4c093cb2e9c8f6cdd9b3821e09.jpg

IMG_20200916_175328.jpg.3dd39b806c0f56fbceb2943c1f432467.jpg

IMG_20200916_175907.jpg.311f0c76259c1094c1a0445828c033c2.jpg

Some videos from my twitter, straight out the box running fine! 

Not handling some track as well as Hornby's which is disappointing ... 

And this was just for fun!

Do I think it's worth the extra money? Eh not really, I think Rails over sold it, but do I love both models? Absolutely. I'll continue to buy Southern variants from both, who's gonna give me a wartime black one first? :P

edit: I think Hornby's with some of Rails' details applied would be the ultimate Terrier.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Rails terrier seems to match Bachmanns E4 in shade which I think is more accurate than the Maunsell shade Hornby use on both their maunsell stock and loco's. 

I prefer the Hornby cab interior, while over nourished in terms of detail for the early loco's I think it's better than the under nourished cab in the Dapol terrier. I know the o gauge terrier was the same but they got the B4 cabs right and packed if detail so why skimp on the Rails Terrier? 

• Agree 1

Worth pointing out the shades of green change dramatically in different lighting. There is a colour photo of the real 2644 looking a sort of dark malachite colour.

Edit: The shade of Rails' looks different in every photo I takeIMG_20200916_184135.jpg.fda0639c5ca99891de5bb74678f76390.jpg

Edit 2: will be interested to see the final shade the SR D Class comes out in.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have to admit, now I see them side by side, the Hornby Terrier really does have some fine features. Some are noticeably better than the Rails version, particularly the cab interior. However those buffers just aren't right and were ultimately what swung me towards Rails.

I'll probably end up with a Hornby version at some stage anyway, so who cares!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I collected mine today from the post office, on unpacking the chimney was found to be detached, however further scrutiny shows that it can be re-glued. The packaging was excellent and more than sufficient. I would suggest the problem lies with Dapol's quality control, and clearly it was not checked by Rails prior to despatch, although , to be fair, they  expect everything to be ok, clearly things are not, and as stated it would appear Dapol's quality control needs tightening. In fairness I have to say this is the first item of many purchased over the course of the years that has had a problem, and I only looked because of what others had reported in this thread.

kind regards

Nigel

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, doktorstamp said:

I collected mine today from the post office, on unpacking the chimney was found to be detached, however further scrutiny shows that it can be re-glued. The packaging was excellent and more than sufficient. I would suggest the problem lies with Dapol's quality control, and clearly it was not checked by Rails prior to despatch, although , to be fair, they  expect everything to be ok, clearly things are not, and as stated it would appear Dapol's quality control needs tightening. In fairness I have to say this is the first item of many purchased over the course of the years that has had a problem, and I only looked because of what others had reported in this thread.

kind regards

Nigel

QA of any item produced in the 100s / 1000s is likely to be only on a % sample basis, so the odd error is likely to slip through the net. If this were a critical item that may be 100%, but it isn't and the cost would not be justified.

Roy

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Kaput said:

Anyone fitted a stay alive to these little beasties yet? If so, where did you put it and how did you wire it up?

I sought advice on this question because I need one on my layout setting and TBH  sound installation should have one by default to avoid project resets from even momentary power loss.

1) I never got a reply from Rails to this question - very disappointing

2) I had other expert advice which indicated that the use of and positioning of the NEXT 18 socket in the Dapol Terrier made fitting a stay alive very difficult or even not possible.

It was this plus all the other QA and delay issues which finally caused me to lose interest in the model

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
clarification
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My BR 32650 arrived, looks great and none of the body issues but it has a tight spot that just won’t go away even with 2hrs running in,  even though that’s not supposed to be necessary. It means it just won’t run slowly enough to shunt with so sadly will have to go back. 
It’s not the contacts as the firebox glow is constant. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

My BR 32650 arrived, looks great and none of the body issues but it has a tight spot that just won’t go away even with 2hrs running in,  even though that’s not supposed to be necessary. It means it just won’t run slowly enough to shunt with so sadly will have to go back. 
It’s not the contacts as the firebox glow is constant. 

Hi Paul,

I've found similar issues with various 0-6-0 locos over the years, though usually Bachmann ones. 

In several cases, one or more keeper plate screws had been nipped up a little too tight, causing binding. Easily rectified by backing them off then retightening more sensitively.

It may well not apply to your Terrier, but it might save the faff of returning it.

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

In several cases, one or more keeper plate screws had been nipped up a little too tight, causing binding. Easily rectified by backing them off then retightening more sensitively.

Hi John, yes first thing I tried ;)

Oliver has also helpfully pm’d me this morning that idea and I’d tried over a full turn slackening so they are loose but although it slightly better on the top spot it still stalls on the bottom at slow speed so I think it’s  quartering over the keeper plate. There’s a definitive click at higher speeds too. The rest is perfect but I’m not mucking with quartering on a new loco. 

• Friendly/supportive 2