Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Comparing a Rails Brighton to a Hornby one really shows up the differences. The IEG is particularly cruel on any compromises or flaws in a model. 

FB10B5D1-C07F-4009-A424-4FA35E70450A.jpeg.d0cd947a6c1cd0365ec6ebdb27fb98b8.jpeg

the holes in the cab front where the details on the A1X version go remain on the Hornby model. 

BD28F216-F808-4CCD-8E22-486BC621D177.jpeg.23d9e970c633225fb4ef7b52a6d885c0.jpeg

There is a very visible representation of the inside motion on the Rails one that is completely missing on the Hornby model. The lettering drop shadow is less overdone on the Rails model. 

34D018A0-1B74-41E9-A82F-5E602612AF9B.jpeg.9a7a6199233c2b7b8c06823777995cdc.jpeg

The Hornby model has a seam on the underside of the boiler where the chassis parts from the body. The Rails Terrier has a one piece boiler. Also the Rails chassis is fully lined behind the wheels. 

A71D72FF-84DF-493F-9E2A-D2B241756E79.jpeg.818590362b0c2a70f5fabc0c8608825d.jpeg

Extra lining is present on the Rails model including the buffer shanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear......surely as a sample sent for review it should have been checked first......

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok I think the A1X version for comparison is valid. 
7FA0C607-D7B8-4873-81E9-1EEE37115FAC.jpeg.cf03f913524d31412d449e6367c0f695.jpeg

E478AC2E-483C-4EDB-AADD-7F96673A53BC.jpeg.3232f03c1ec9774d6d3ceac105ddb1f0.jpeg

FCB71863-2CBD-405E-8F79-B6E2EE8A5E2D.jpeg.e8c4cb5294be40933c9e8d77f25f9cce.jpeg

05BF68CD-8192-472C-94F8-08220A6249A8.jpeg.caf8c0f0217cf3e3cd07185f74949f1e.jpeg

BB12F3A2-9862-4BD9-9BC9-027C9C8F9555.jpeg.c65ee7a289818a25dc026bb3b31350c4.jpeg

5B89E836-6A33-4472-B501-E383EE64F6E8.jpeg.5914985acbd3ac9b2b8ae10c9c136eff.jpeg

Now it took three attempts to get my RoS BR version that ran well but this SR one from Rails was ok out of the box but is noisier forwards than backwards. Rails sorted the BR one well but I still think the B4 is a better running loco from Dapol. 

Detail wise the Hornby cab roof and splashers and smokebox front look better to me and it is quieter. 
Rails boiler and inside motion is better. 

I’m confused with the chimneys as both look right compared to some photos so are there two chimney styles or have alterations been made to match certain pictures?

The Hornby lining looks slightly better to my eye, it’s finer in places like round the nameplate. 

Rails has painted the cab rear while Hornby’s is black, again I don’t know if these differences are correct. Hornby’s bufferbeam red looks less plastic but both appear to be painted. 

Overall both are nice models to look at and the differences are only apparent in direct comparison like this, I struggle to tell on the layout. So overall I think your choice needs to be on personal preference and the extra detail on the front of the Rails model is slightly let down by the roof. Probably Hornby raised their game in response to the Rails announcement to make it so close. 
I bought based on available liveries as I like the IoW versions and quite happy with both models so they’ll both stay in my fleet. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

Comparing a Rails Brighton to a Hornby one really shows up the differences. The IEG is particularly cruel on any compromises or flaws in a model. 

FB10B5D1-C07F-4009-A424-4FA35E70450A.jpeg.d0cd947a6c1cd0365ec6ebdb27fb98b8.jpeg

the holes in the cab front where the details on the A1X version go remain on the Hornby model. 

BD28F216-F808-4CCD-8E22-486BC621D177.jpeg.23d9e970c633225fb4ef7b52a6d885c0.jpeg

There is a very visible representation of the inside motion on the Rails one that is completely missing on the Hornby model. The lettering drop shadow is less overdone on the Rails model. 

34D018A0-1B74-41E9-A82F-5E602612AF9B.jpeg.9a7a6199233c2b7b8c06823777995cdc.jpeg

The Hornby model has a seam on the underside of the boiler where the chassis parts from the body. The Rails Terrier has a one piece boiler. Also the Rails chassis is fully lined behind the wheels. 

A71D72FF-84DF-493F-9E2A-D2B241756E79.jpeg.818590362b0c2a70f5fabc0c8608825d.jpeg

Extra lining is present on the Rails model including the buffer shanks. 

Very good pictures.

While trying to steer clear of people who know less than they think, I would say regarding  the cab roof gap, of which I'm not a big fan, at least the Dapol design of the cab backsheet has allowed version-specific backsheets to an extent not catered for by its rival. It's all about where you compromise.  I expect most sensible people realise that. If I find mine bothers me, I'll make good with some filler.

In all other respects, I do feel that Jenny's comparisons show that the Rails/Dapol version is in very many respects the more accurate and refined in appearance.  

It's attention to detail such as the correct inset appearance of the buffers, without raised bolts (they were flush in Stroudley's day), the buffer guide lining, the fine etched guard irons to the correct shape, the scale thickness of the etched wing plates, the much better representation of the smokebox hinges, the better shape of the cylinder lubricators, the lovely and correctly copper, turned chimney cap.  And that's just the front.   All along the loco, from the representation of the motion, the correct spoke profile and the correct shape to the Salter valve balance arms to the correct length of bunker tool box, the story is the same.  Where you spot a detail difference between the two models, nine times out of ten it will be because that detail is correct on the Rails version.  

It's not a perfect model, in my personal view, by any means, but I think the end results show it has the edge over its rival. 

Someone mentioned the wash-out plugs on the Hornby model. Heaven alone knows why they are there on this model, perhaps because they were on a preserved version inspected by Hornby.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Ok I think the A1X version for comparison is valid. 
7FA0C607-D7B8-4873-81E9-1EEE37115FAC.jpeg.cf03f913524d31412d449e6367c0f695.jpeg

E478AC2E-483C-4EDB-AADD-7F96673A53BC.jpeg.3232f03c1ec9774d6d3ceac105ddb1f0.jpeg

FCB71863-2CBD-405E-8F79-B6E2EE8A5E2D.jpeg.e8c4cb5294be40933c9e8d77f25f9cce.jpeg

05BF68CD-8192-472C-94F8-08220A6249A8.jpeg.caf8c0f0217cf3e3cd07185f74949f1e.jpeg

BB12F3A2-9862-4BD9-9BC9-027C9C8F9555.jpeg.c65ee7a289818a25dc026bb3b31350c4.jpeg

5B89E836-6A33-4472-B501-E383EE64F6E8.jpeg.5914985acbd3ac9b2b8ae10c9c136eff.jpeg

Now it took three attempts to get my RoS BR version that ran well but this SR one from Rails was ok out of the box but is noisier forwards than backwards. Rails sorted the BR one well but I still think the B4 is a better running loco from Dapol. 

Detail wise the Hornby cab roof and splashers and smokebox front look better to me and it is quieter. 
Rails boiler and inside motion is better. 

I’m confused with the chimneys as both look right compared to some photos so are there two chimney styles or have alterations been made to match certain pictures?

The Hornby lining looks slightly better to my eye, it’s finer in places like round the nameplate. 

Rails has painted the cab rear while Hornby’s is black, again I don’t know if these differences are correct. Hornby’s bufferbeam red looks less plastic but both appear to be painted. 

Overall both are nice models to look at and the differences are only apparent in direct comparison like this, I struggle to tell on the layout. So overall I think your choice needs to be on personal preference and the extra detail on the front of the Rails model is slightly let down by the roof. Probably Hornby raised their game in response to the Rails announcement to make it so close. 
I bought based on available liveries as I like the IoW versions and quite happy with both models so they’ll both stay in my fleet. 

Thanks for the photo comparison Paul. I have RoS W9 on its way to me, together with Boxhill. 

IOW Terriers are a minefield of detail differences probably no different to their mainland counterparts. Ex No.50 Whitechapel was shipped to the island in May 1930 by the Southern in A1X condition with extended bunker and became W9. It also carried a Marsh pattern chimney throughout its stay on the island as per the RoS model. It also had the 12 studs / bolts on the tank sides as per the RoS model. From what I can see from photographic evidence (and the two examples still on the island) the locos rebuilt to A1X condition on the island generally retained (and I say generally) the 8 tank side bolts / studs, they also generally retained their sandboxes above the running plate. Those shipped over from the mainland by the Southern in the late 1920s / early 30s had sandboxes below the runningplate i.e. W9, W13 & W14.

Ex No. 78 Knowle was shipped to the island in 1929 also in A1X condition with extended bunker, it was initially numbered W4 but was renumbered W14 as the numbers 1 - 4 were required for the E1s when they were shipped over. Terrier W3 becoming W13 at the same time. Yet another twist in their history. It appears that W14 initially also carried a Marsh pattern chimney but this was replaced by a Drummond pattern one sometime in the early 1930s, possibly 1932 (source "The Island Terriers" published by Kingfisher Railway Productions).  This is the condition produced by Hornby.

All island Terriers were Westinghouse air brake fitted in Southern days, not vacuum or dual fitted, the Southern standardised on this braking system (on the island) as the larger pre-grouping companies on the island had adopted this system. The Freshwater, Yarmouth & Newport Railway had used vacuum brakes.  The Hornby model is incorrect in carrying the vacuum ejector pipe along the top of the boiler and associated pipework below the running plate. They appear to have perpetuate this mistake on all of their IOW based Terriers. Of course, on return to the mainland vacuum brake equipment was fitted. What the RoS model does lack is lamp irons over each of the front buffers but that should be an easy fix and not obvious at first glance.

As for black painted cab backsheets vs green painted? The two preserved examples on the island today in Southern livery have black painted rear cab sheets (or at least they are in the photos and video I've seen). There are very few clear images of the rear of these locos in Southern Railway days to determine which livery detail is correct unless a painting specification exists. It could be that W9, W13 and W14 which were overhauled and painted at Brighton works prior to shipping to the island had green cab backsheets but those painted in Southern livery at Ryde or Newport works on the island had black rear cabsheets!! Or, the green was painted over black after operational experience with the green paintwork becoming ruined by coal and coal dust. So both could be correct.  To be honest I have not done that research. If anyone else can confirm this detail that would be welcome.

Any other shortcomings of both of these manufacturers models has been done to death in previous posts e.g. cab roof, bunker rails (RoS), bullet holes in the cab front sheet (Hornby) etc, etc. I'm hoping that despite the apparent saturation of the market by Hornby with their IOW versions and other examples Rails are not put off in releasing further examples of theirs. 

By the way, all of the above is accurate to the best of my knowledge and happy for any of my statements to be corrected!! 

Kind regards

Andy.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Andy, that’s a very useful post. My comparison is purely from a basic interest after exploring the island lines when I was over there frequently a few years ago, staying in Ventnor as it happens :) 

So after many comments about whose chimney was right earlier in the thread I take it both are actually correct style but Rails have made sure the details are faithful to the locos better?

As I said above I felt purely on looks they are close but the attention to fitted details pretty much evens out the value for money. 

• Like 1

I have just received my Boxhill .no issues .It runs fine looks good .It looks completely accurate  pulling 4 box cars on my Southern pacific  based LA switching layou t .Purists will love the fact it drifts through Peco Code 83 insullfrog with no issues ..

Edited by friscopete
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ventnor said:

IOW Terriers are a minefield of detail differences probably no different to their mainland counterparts.

That's an understatement! As far as I can tell from photos, by early BR days, all of the surviving terriers were different - varying combinations of chimneys, bunkers, A1/A1x boilers, sandbox positions, toolboxes, coal rails and lamp brackets.

7 hours ago, Ventnor said:

As for black painted cab backsheets vs green painted? The two preserved examples on the island today in Southern livery have black painted rear cab sheets (or at least they are in the photos and video I've seen). There are very few clear images of the rear of these locos in Southern Railway days to determine which livery detail is correct unless a painting specification exists. It could be that W9, W13 and W14 which were overhauled and painted at Brighton works prior to shipping to the island had green cab backsheets but those painted in Southern livery at Ryde or Newport works on the island had black rear cabsheets!! Or, the green was painted over black after operational experience with the green paintwork becoming ruined by coal and coal dust. So both could be correct.  To be honest I have not done that research. If anyone else can confirm this detail that would be welcome.

There are very few clear photos of any SR tank locos, IOW or otherwise, clearly showing the cab backsheet.

The best I can find is This one on Getty, showing W11 at Ventnor West in early SR livery, clearly unlined and looks to be black.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Nick C said:

That's an understatement! As far as I can tell from photos, by early BR days, all of the surviving terriers were different - varying combinations of chimneys, bunkers, A1/A1x boilers, sandbox positions, toolboxes, coal rails and lamp brackets.

There are very few clear photos of any SR tank locos, IOW or otherwise, clearly showing the cab backsheet.

The best I can find is This one on Getty, showing W11 at Ventnor West in early SR livery, clearly unlined and looks to be black.

Thanks Nick, that is pretty clearly black. It also shows the state the cab sheets got, looks pretty dirty thus justifying the black paint! It has also reminded me to look through my Ventnor West branch books! 

Cheers 

Andy.

4 minutes ago, Ventnor said:

Thanks Nick, that is pretty clearly black. It also shows the state the cab sheets got, looks pretty dirty thus justifying the black paint! It has also reminded me to look through my Ventnor West branch books! 

Cheers 

Andy.

Further to my previous post, I'd still like to see rear shots of W9, W13 & W14. As I've previously stated these were painted on the mainland before shipping over. W11 was already on the island pre-grouping and painted there when the SR took over. This is the livery the Isle Wight Steam Railway have applied to W11. Would be good to confirm any livery differences between mainland / island painting, if for no other reason than to do a bit more research. Another excuse for me to delve into my books!! 

Andy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

Wow, note another style of bars protecting the cab rear windows and the tool box (? I think its that) still at the rear too and offset. Not that I would expect either make to tool up these features but could make for an after market options kit.

• Agree 1

See the review from Sam's Trains of the latest issue from Rails 'Boxhill'.

Despite being highlighted in previous posts it would appear that the issues that were noted, in particular the distorted footplate have not been addressed and there are also problems with the back to backs. Where many of the body parts are attached to the footplate there are gaps which tend to spoil the overall impression. But watch it for yourself.

RB

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

Just received my SECR Terrier. And noticed this thing loose in the plastic bubble. Could somebody please tell me what it is. 

C0A106C4-5AC3-4249-9F5C-3EEF790ED120.jpeg

6C92FE6A-5B08-474F-8DDB-24A336C4A650.jpeg

3EA183D8-8A77-4596-BE03-DA4E8A618377.jpeg

As per my post above, It is the pre-fitted speaker, that isn't pre-fitted any more.

Edit: and the DCC blanking plug.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Thanks 1

So it looks like the speaker is stuck to the blanking plug then ? Sorry I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to DCC things. Would I be correct in saying that the decoder is fitted to the loco. And will it run without the speaker installed ?

I'm not sure if I missed it in previous posts but can somebody give detailed instructions as to how the speaker should be fitted please ?

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

I'm not sure if I missed it in previous posts but can somebody give detailed instructions as to how the speaker should be fitted please ?

It would seem only right that Rails/Dapol should tell you that!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

And will it run without the speaker installed ?

Yes it will run without it fine but it’s no longer a case of simply swapping your standard decoder for a sound one as you’d also need to install and connect the speaker too, which was supposedly installed and ready to just plug in a sound decoder. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mvrnut said:

So it looks like the speaker is stuck to the blanking plug then ? Sorry I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to DCC things. Would I be correct in saying that the decoder is fitted to the loco. And will it run without the speaker installed ?

Cheers,

Chris

I have the same loco (SECR plain DCC fitted) and yes it comes with the blanking plate and speaker left in the box. TBH, I went with their version as I still wanted the firebox glow to work properly under plain DCC (and it does, which would not be the case had I fitted a plain DCC chip myself).

Unless you intend to upgrade to sound (I have one terrier ordered as such and still waiting for her), I would not bother refitting the speaker (and only do so when the sound conversion is made).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1