Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

5 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Unfortunately, the manufacture of some components, in particular the cast footplate, is most definitely not done satisfactorily and I am surprised that they have not had difficulty fitting some of the other parts to it when looking at the various distortions which are apparent. 

I wonder if the factory is the same that which did the B4, O2, Austerity, 14xx and Sentinal Tank? If it was the same factory, this may be their first model with a metal running plate as all the above are 100% plastic construction for the body.

2 hours ago, col.stephens said:

I am left wondering why Dapol can't produce a quiet, efficient mechanism. 

Dapol's B4 is shear perfection in this regard. Out classes every loco I have for smoothness and I have 4 of them. Of the two terrriers, Bodiam runs quite well, a slight growel above Hornby's model in terms of noise. However the DCC plain fitted SECR loco has a sort H&M half wave type noise that 80s locos had, when it runs. 

Has anyone received a "Brighton" yet ? I've seen one of the new delivery of Boxhill, and it appears to be pretty good, with no glaringly obvious faults.

Brighton, though, appears to be in short supply. This could be for perfectly legitimate reasons, ie, busy despatching from other deliveries (ie, Bachmann) or problems caused by Sheffield's Covid status. Having seen the Jenny Kirk video, however, I'm just a little concerned that history is repeating itself - on that video, whilst Boxhill appeared to be OK, Brighton looked to be suffering from one of the problems that has intermittently plagued deliveries to date, ie, a flattened smokebox dart. I'm just hoping that this new delivery is not suffering from at least some of the original issues.

Perhaps if any cash-paying customers have received a Brighton they could comment.

I have just received a "Brighton", fantastic model & finish, even lining on the frames.

Some minor damage, possibly from packing, a loose front brake block (top pin broken) and a loose cylinder lubricator, both easily fixed. Also have "Fishbourne", again very good but also a minor fault: one coupling rod on upside down. Both footplates appear straight.  Not yet run either.

Pete

Very quick side by side comparison of the differences between the Rails and the Hornby Terriers. Saves watching the one hour video. 

As for my track laying skills, don’t assume my track is perfect; far from it. There are kinks, twists and everything. 

Edited by Jenny Emily
Embedding link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m getting fed up of people telling me online that all Rails Terrier running plates are bent like a banana.  Like somehow I was blind when I did the review. Not this Brighton, despite being told by too many fanboys that I should have said it was bent.  I have seven here and All are fine. 

780F2C35-7E1F-4D81-A1E2-6E62BC69DC96.jpeg.551c5c6e62fb2cf70f336dec35d78d04.jpeg

Edited by Jenny Emily
Spelling and grammar.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

11 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I’m getting fed up of people telling me online that all Rails Terrier running plates are bent like a banana.  Like somehow I was blind when I did the review. Not this Brighton, despite being told by too many fanboys that I should have said it was bent.  I have seven here and All are fine. 

I guess it depends on whether you get a Monday or Friday model, Jenny.

I have both Bodiam and SR2644 (non-review models for the nay-sayers), and both are completely unaffected by both bentrunningplategate and wonkychimneygate. I've yet to run them though. 

Verily, YMMV.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

Hi Jenny, i think the issue is there are real problems with these loco's, some poor folks have had numerous replacements still faulty, that's just not good enough. I understand every manufacture have issues (Hornby have their fare share lets be honest) but it really does seem to be a lottery if you get a good one or a bad one. 
I also think if Rails had just kept a low profile and not being so childish with their comments then these problems would of been just accepted as product faults. The fact they said the things they said, they have set them selves up for the fall, and they have.
There are clearly improvements over the Hornby loco, glazing, firebox glow (nice feature), cab detail (to a lesser extent) but a loco has to work, be put together correctly, fitment good etc, and for those reasons i feel Dapol have let Rails down, but Rails are the face of this product so are getting all the flak.

I have thought long and hard over the Rails loco as i would love the GWR one......is it worth the risk, faff if i have to return it etc? I'm still on the fence, swaying towards a no.
thanks

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

You put yourself out there on the Net so you are bound to get some reaction to your reviews positive and no so positive.

As an influencer do you get paid from rails/other suppliers to review these yokes?

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm very happy with it.

20201025_163958.jpg.9f800081b87d25856671b42f848840ee.jpg

20201025_163940.jpg.4ef0537d3864d707614718689275dd1e.jpg20201025_163859.jpg.ac5a54f5ce304ff78db51f0c23cf6919.jpg

Given your high standards along with championing the model all along and I suspect some input into the model itself they were gonna make sure you got a good one in all fairness.

And yes it does look very nice too.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if those that were sent for review were all inspected for faults prior to despatch . Lets face it , you would have to be spectacularly stupid to send items for review that were defective, so if it were me I'd check before despatch knowing it was going to a wider audience.  That said ,I know Jenny bought at least one by herself  . Sams was bought as a normal customer, so they would not have been aware it was for review .  It does seem there are good ones out there , and some that are not so good, but the numbers reporting back on here suggest the issues are not just the occasional defect.  A pity because if you look at Boxhill that Edwardian has posted it looks a stunning model .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

You put yourself out there on the Net so you are bound to get some reaction to your reviews positive and no so positive.

As an influencer do you get paid from rails/other suppliers to review these yokes?

These ....er...what ,please ?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Given your high standards along with championing the model all along and I suspect some input into the model itself they were gonna make sure you got a good one in all fairness.

And yes it does look very nice too.

Well, I am a just regular customer, who still commits his £30 on pre-order and hopes for the best, and pays full whack when it comes.  You can look at as much by way of CAD, livery charts, EPs and livery samples as you like, but the finished model will always be different and you never quite know how it will turn out!

I have ordered five of the Rails Terriers in total, the last, Boxhill, has now arrived.  That was a very considerable financial commitment for me, but I knew from what I'd seen that they were likely to be best A1s available.  I have not been disappointed.

Of the five, one of them was returned, if that gives you any comfort.  This was one of two Bodiams (Bodia?).  I ordered two because I fancy back-dating one to RVR state. It had some of the warping that affected some of the initial release, albeit slight.  The replacement was fine, however. Other than that - I don't order that much RTR because my wealth is not infinite and my tastes are obscure - I ordered the Dapol B4, the Hornby B2 Peckett, and the Hornby Rocket.  Both the Hornby items had to be returned and satisfactory replacements found. The Dapol B4 was a flawless gem.  It's just the luck of the draw, I would say.

I suspect the truth is rather mundane; all factory produced models from China have a portion, usually very small, with QC issues, regardless of the UK manufacturer or the Chinese factory concerned.  I know how frustrating it is when unwrapping a long-anticipated model only to come across a dud, but it is a small minority of cases in my experience and customer service soon sorts it out.   

EDIT: Thanks to Mr Hargrave, I have now noticed your first, joyful, post. For shame, George, for shame!

An influencer, eh? You're having a laugh!

Anyone out there who would like to pay me and/or give me free product to laud on the web, please PM with your best offer!

If only!

In the meantime, back in the real word ...

Edited by Edwardian
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Legend said:

I do wonder if those that were sent for review were all inspected for faults prior to despatch . Lets face it , you would have to be spectacularly stupid to send items for review that were defective, so if it were me I'd check before despatch knowing it was going to a wider audience.  That said ,I know Jenny bought at least one by herself  . Sams was bought as a normal customer, so they would not have been aware it was for review .  It does seem there are good ones out there , and some that are not so good, but the numbers reporting back on here suggest the issues are not just the occasional defect.  A pity because if you look at Boxhill that Edwardian has posted it looks a stunning model .

To be realistic,Sam is no normal customer and no more normal is his modus operandi in testing .TBH,of you’re going to sit in judgement on a model as he does,taking no prisoners in the process,then at least allow the product the decency of properly laid and secured track...for which it was presumably designed and manufactured to hopefully exact tolerances. The claim other models didn’t bite the carpet is frankly an argument which is difficult to sustain and unfair.Sam would be IMHO credible if he tested on properly laid track on a baseboard .

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

To be realistic,Sam is no normal customer and no more normal is his modus operandi in testing .TBH,of you’re going to sit in judgement on a model as he does,taking no prisoners in the process,then at least allow the product the decency of properly laid and secured track...for which it was presumably designed and manufactured to hopefully exact tolerances. The claim other models didn’t bite the carpet is frankly an argument which is difficult to sustain and unfair.Sam would be IMHO credible if he tested on properly laid track on a baseboard .

i do agree with some of what was said but....and he demonstrated it, all his other loco's navigated that curve fine, the loco in question failed every time. It also made it's way round every other part of his layout which was laid just as "bad".
If a manufacturer designs a loco to run only on faultlessly laid track work on a flat base board i have no issue with that, simply state it in the product information and let the customer decide (i don't think that was your point but hopefully you get what i mean).

• Agree 1

RMWeb Trade & Products: Where they'll moan if you tell them it's bad and they'll moan if you tell them it's good.

Only Rails/Dapol will know the proportion of returns - and I shouldn't think any manufacturer would ever disclose that.  So, there comes a point when people simply start overclaiming from a position of ignorance.

Here Rails seems to have attracted the ire of some, essentially for having the temerity to deliver a very good model and saying it would be better than its rival, which it is. People have, wrongly, in my view, traded off what they suppose is hubris on Rails part about the virtues of this model; Rails was put in a very difficult position by Hornby's spoiler launch and TV hype. Theirs is, when all's said and done, objectively the better model, albeit not perfect in my view. People need to move on from that.

Otherwise, it's just an unknown proportion of models with QC issues and, in that regard, I see very little to distinguish it from many releases.  Time spent on the Bachmann and Hornby sections will reveal much the same.

I sympathise with Jenny's frustration at the whingefest some want to indulge in. Buy the b00dy thing if you want one, Send it back if it is faulty. Just like pretty much any release. If you don't want one, why the Hell are you bothering to clog up the internet with comments about it anyway?  Or, step away from the keyboard and do something useful, like volunteer to deliver food and medicine to those shielding.  Not even Covid, it seems, can bless some of you with a sense of perspective.

When the plague finally stalks it's way to my door, at least I will have the consolation that I enjoyed my hobby in a positive way.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

RMWeb Trade & Products: Where they'll moan if you tell them it's bad and they'll moan if you tell them it's good.

Only Rails/Dapol will know the proportion of returns - and I shouldn't think any manufacturer would ever disclose that.  So, there comes a point when people simply start overclaiming from a position of ignorance.

Disagree 

The benefits of Forums such as this and YouTube is that people say it as they see it And it’s from the point of view of a consumer, not a magazine or industry insider.   It’s not a case of continual moaning about all products . As an example I haven’t seen any negative comments on recent releases such as Hornby Princess , Bachmann 117 to name but a few , which seem to be of good quality with little issues . On the other hand I know that Hornby A3s have ski jump issues , Hattons 66s have issues with axle covers  , dare I say it Oxford had issues with their Deans Goods and now Rails appear to have issues on build quality and running qualities On the Terrier . You can tell this by the amount of traffic on the thread. 

Too easy just to dismiss concerns as being from a bunch of whingers .  Of course commissioners will never disclose reject rates , so does that mean we can’t comment because we are in a position of “ignorance”  or should people relate what they see . Most comments on here are from people who have bought models and either had no issues or had to return models once or even twice . I value that feedback 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Here Rails seems to have attracted the ire of some, essentially for having the temerity to deliver a very good model and saying it would be better than its rival, which it is. People have, wrongly, in my view, traded off what they suppose is hubris on Rails part about the virtues of this model; Rails was put in a very difficult position by Hornby's spoiler launch and TV hype. Theirs is, when all's said and done, objectively the better model, albeit not perfect in my view. People need to move on from that.

Otherwise, it's just an unknown proportion of models with QC issues and, in that regard, I see very little to distinguish it from many releases.  Time spent on the Bachmann and Hornby sections will reveal much the same.

I sympathise with Jenny's frustration at the whingefest some want to indulge in. Buy the b00dy thing if you want one, Send it back if it is faulty. Just like pretty much any release. If you don't want one, why the Hell are you bothering to clog up the internet with comments about it anyway?  Or, step away from the keyboard and do something useful, like volunteer to deliver food and medicine to those shielding.  Not even Covid, it seems, can bless some of you with a sense of perspective.

When the plague finally stalks it's way to my door, at least I will have the consolation that I enjoyed my hobby in a positive way.

i respect your knowledge and contribution to the forum but it's these comments that prompt so called negative remarks on this particular thread, it's not a whingefest, it's openly discussing issues with a loco, people feeding in their own view point, others first hand experience, it's not clogging up the internet, it's discussing on a forum, the right place for it.

your last paragraph is un called for, you have no idea what members do in the community, what they do for a job etc and you should not assume we don't do something useful in the community. We are discussing a loco and to bring Covid into is rather crass.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i respect your knowledge and contribution to the forum but it's these comments that prompt so called negative remarks on this particular thread, it's not a whingefest, it's openly discussing issues with a loco, people feeding in their own view point, others first hand experience, it's not clogging up the internet, it's discussing on a forum, the right place for it.

your last paragraph is un called for, you have no idea what members do in the community, what they do for a job etc and you should not assume we don't do something useful in the community. We are discussing a loco and to bring Covid into is rather crass.

With respect to you, and Legend, and others, with whom I have no wish to argue, I cannot help wondering how much vital information you have latterly imparted to the public on this product? Beyond a certain point, and I have noticed it with both of you and others, there is just a repetition of the fact that there are known instances of QC issues, which does nothing to elucidate matters further and which, as I tried to point out, risks overstating the gloom from a position of relative ignorance to that of Rails who, to be fair to them, appear to have (a) sent out a lot of very good Terriers, and, (b) swiftly replaced those with issues.

I just wonder what, if anything, now is the point of continued restatement of vague discontent.   

I make no assumptions about anyone here.  Only when I read their RMWeb posts can I assess whether their time is well spent.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

With respect to you, and Legend, and others, with whom I have no wish to argue, I cannot help wondering how much vital information you have latterly imparted to the public on this product? Beyond a certain point, and I have noticed it with both of you and others, there is just a repetition of the fact that there are known instances of QC issues, which does nothing to elucidate matters further and which, as I tried to point out, risks overstating the gloom from a position of relative ignorance to that of Rails who, to be fair to them, appear to have (a) sent out a lot of very good Terriers, and, (b) swiftly replaced those with issues.

I just wonder what, if anything, now is the point of continued restatement of vague discontent.   

I make no assumptions about anyone here.  Only when I read their RMWeb posts can I assess whether their time is well spent.

Sorry Edwardian, but this with this post I just couldn't stop thinking about pots and kettles...

Roy

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i do agree with some of what was said but....and he demonstrated it, all his other loco's navigated that curve fine, the loco in question failed every time. It also made it's way round every other part of his layout which was laid just as "bad".
If a manufacturer designs a loco to run only on faultlessly laid track work on a flat base board i have no issue with that, simply state it in the product information and let the customer decide (i don't think that was your point but hopefully you get what i mean).

I think I can say with some degree of certainty that Dapol’s designer did not factor in carpet running on dodgy track when he designed the Rails Terrier and I assume reasonably secure running conditions as a given in a quality model.Dare I ask how many forum members run their precious models in similar fashion ?  FWIW I have two Rails Terriers neither of which has suffered a derailment.In fact the only kind of issues in that direction that occur are occasionally with a baseboard join affecting the pony truck of four coupled locos which is easily corrected. 

Sorry but Sam would be credible if he ran his models in far better conditions than we see from his YouTube videos.Having the nerve to sit in judgement in this manner is not to my taste I’m afraid.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Then you'd be wrong. 

No, I would not be. You banged on ad-infinitum about the deficiencies of the Hornby model over-and-over in both the Hornby and Rails threads, repeatedly stating the same thing. Now you have the nerve to lecture others on the same point.

And I say that as somebody who had nailed their colours to the Rails mast.

Time for you to learn to take some criticism, rather than just dishing it out.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9